Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why to ppl keep dropping and picking up the flag??

OP HERKFOOT21

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6
You can actually throw it pretty far with the advantage of running with it.
The funny thing is (for me) is that I kind of wondered this too. Then I saw some Halo Championship Series, and watched the pros just fly across the map using this technique. Now it's no longer a mystery to me, and I'm trying to do this now too. Very effective in my opinion.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
So far none of these reasons are legit. You don't win by being "faster" you win by being smarter. It's just like the game of football, just because your faster doesn't mean your better and are gonna score all the time. You gotta be smart and sneaky. When i see enemies doing that i aim right for them, whereas when idk where they are i panic when trying to find it
I'm honestly surprised this post got 10 likes. I'm going to explain why this is flawed thinking, although you are on the right track.

So, you said you win by being smarter not faster. And while that is true, people like the pros and higher level players do it because there is no stealth at those levels. They know which route the flag was being taken based on their spawns.

Being smart and sneaky may work against players who don't know where the flag went but you can attain a level of skill and knowledge where you already know where the flag went based on a few things.

So yes, the reasons before your post were entirely legitimate.

Do some people flag juggle simply because the pros do it? Absolutely. Are there people who do it when they shouldn't? Yup.

But to dismiss it as useless and that in every situation "stealth" is better is just ignoring facts.
If you push down, left, x, y, down, right, a, b - your guy will do the funky chicken.. Only works in Capture the flag
Also if you hide in the corner and throw all of your grenades towards the corner on the ground you will be transported to the respawn screen
Flag juggling has always been a thing in Halo. You can move the flag faster by juggling it. Also in halo 5 if you are shot you show up to the enemy team, but if you drop it and pick it up that marker on you vanishes. It was the worst in halo 3 though. In halo 3 there was an announcement every time the flag was dropped and picked up. In flag games you would end up hearing. Flag taken flag dropped flag taken flag dropped flag taken flag dropped. If your team was also doing this at the same time it was super annoying. I never flag juggle personally just because of how annoying it is. However it is an effective strategy unfortunately
Homble wrote:
Because they're not skilled enough to get the flag back to their base so they have to abuse game mechanics to give themselves an advantage.
Please tell me this is a troll post. Please.
I'm very serious. Throwing the flag to gain distance faster deviates from how CTF should be played. I'm sure 343 designed CTF thinking that people would pick up the flag and walk with it, not joust it every 10 feet. Just take a step back and think: what seems rational in terms of playing CTF in real life? Yes, you hold the flag. You don't fling it in front of yourself. Therefore throwing the flag was not the intention of the gametype, so it's an abuse of game mechanics.
It's done to move faster. Your movement speed is reduced when carrying the flag. Yeah it gives away position, but if you need to move quickly, its etter than trying to walk super slow or hide.
Homble wrote:
Homble wrote:
Because they're not skilled enough to get the flag back to their base so they have to abuse game mechanics to give themselves an advantage.
I'm very serious. Throwing the flag to gain distance faster deviates from how CTF should be played. I'm sure 343 designed CTF thinking that people would pick up the flag and walk with it, not joust it every 10 feet. Just take a step back and think: what seems rational in terms of playing CTF in real life? Yes, you hold the flag. You don't fling it in front of yourself. Therefore throwing the flag was not the intention of the gametype, so it's an abuse of game mechanics.
343 put flag juggling back in the game because the community wanted it. They took it out in 4. It's one of the mistakes they've fixed. It's very much an intended use of mechanics. Now at all abuse by the community.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
So far none of these reasons are legit. You don't win by being "faster" you win by being smarter. It's just like the game of football, just because your faster doesn't mean your better and are gonna score all the time. You gotta be smart and sneaky. When i see enemies doing that i aim right for them, whereas when idk where they are i panic when trying to find it
They aren't legit? I can tell you're a new player to Halo because you have no idea what flag juggling is. But it is a legit tactic and works well.

Edit: flag juggling has been around for over 10 years and still works... hell, they even made it a "feature" in Halo 5. So just because you're too new to understand it doesn't make it bad.
lol I like how you keep thinking i'm "new to halo" and then you don't even think i know what the flag dropping is when this whole -Yoinking!- tread is exactly about that lol. When you drop it it gives you a fraction of a boost, yes i know it gives you a boost but the tiny amount to me is not enough vs the tactic of playing smart. Before on the halos it always showed where the carrier is but now your only shown if youve been hit. You must be new to halo to understand that. I'll take being sneak and having ppl not know where i am. Hell i just played a game on Altar CTF and every time they captured our flag i wasn't sure which way to go to try and find them to get it back. I was hoping they would drop it and pick it up again and us that "strategy" but they didn't. You might wanna know where your talking to there because you assume i'm new there bud.
You're stupid or trolling.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
Why do so many players when returning the flag on CTF run with it and let it go, pick it up, let it go etc??? That completely gives your position away and the enemy team knows where you are? i personally love when the other team does that so i can follow where they are and know where to go to.
Its a trade off more experienced people do. On one hand, you're exposing your position.
On the other, you're moving twice as fast, and you have your team backing you up if you get caught with your flag down.
because a 1 second movement gain
How I see this is due to a couple reasons: 1.) releasing the flag, especially after jumping/thrustering, gives the flag a bit of a boost once thrown, making the overall cap time quicker. 2.) It gets rid of the tracker placed on you if you got shot from an enemy player.
Its quicker, but their is a chance of the enemy killing you while using this tactic. Some people think that the risk is worth it.
Homble wrote:
Homble wrote:
No, in fact they specifically designed the opposite.

Halo 4 made you unable to drop the flag once you pick it up. People hated it. You were at a significant disadvantage when you had the flag in your hand.

Now in Halo 5 they fixed it to how it used to be. They even made it with the purpose of passing off the flag over ledges that you could not do solo to bring it to the base faster..

It's not an abuse of game mechanics. It's exactly what it was made for.
I didn't start doing it until recently when I first played Breakout. I know its already been said but you move faster and should someone creep up behind you, if the flag is already dropped, it offers full function of your weapons rather than just a magnum. However, if you are good with a magnum anyways you may want to hold onto the flag.

Anyways, dropping the flag, timed correctly, will let you toss it forward of your position. In reality you may not be saving that much time depending on how far your journey is but if the opposing team is hot on your tail then those critical seconds could make the difference between the victory or dying at the flag stand with no hope.
Flagg juggling

It's been around for a while.
I don't think it's a must strategy in Halo 5 for two main reasons:

1. You are not defenseless when holding a flag anymore.
2. Movement speed increase means not giving away your position is a much bigger factor now.

With that said, it absolutely still has a place. I remember when I first started doing it and no doubt some will disagree but there's definitely skill to juggling the flag effectively. You should be covering at least twice as much distance as opposed to just running with it so if you're in the camp of "flag juggling is pointless" then odds are you aren't very good at utilising the technique and need to practice.

I have won several CTF games solely because my flag juggling is very good and it enabled the game winning cap. You have to know when to do it and when not to.
I personally prefer Flag juggling over stealth capture, both work but i prefer faster caps than being slow and risking it. If it's not a legitimate strategy all the pro's wouldn't do it now would they.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 6