Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why was Halo 5s marketing different than the game?

OP Mr man 306 n6

I remember being hyped for the who will die chief or Locke marketing thing they had for Halo 5.but the game didn't reflect that at all. Why were they so different? I

think that they changed the campaign during development.
I think for that they were trying to hype up the game when the story was falling short so they could still get sales. and they probably changed the campagins story a bit to work with certain mechanics in the game, like having ai squad members with you. You could tell from and E3 footage before the game came out, it was unfinished at least story wise. My main guess is that it was a few execs or some advertisement team wanting to provide something that gets people wondering what "big stuff" they had planned. People liked the idea of the mystery, but the writers couldn't figure out anything other then "oh its for cortana lmao"

Master chief was by himself at first, then a different one where he has a squad, one of the squad members was changed out, etc.
Also to perhaps try to make their new character Locke seem like a badass bounty hunter, cause clearly they were trying to kick master chief out of halo. Seeing how he only had 2 missions where you could play as him. I
I'm sure being in development hell was part of it. Apparently they changed quite a bit very late in development.
I think this is a pretty good question, honestly. I wondered a lot about this, especially with the live action trailers. It looked like such a good conflict, heroes turning against each other, especially in the wake of popular media at the time (Batman V Superman, Captain America : Civil War).

And then - it turned into one half lame scene early on in the game, instead of the climax.

Maybe it was changes, maybe it was a different take - but I'd honestly like to know what ideas were all thrown on the drawing board.
I am absolutely positive that there was a massive story rewrite at some point in reaction to halo 4's story. People did not like halo 4's story when it came out and so they brough familiar faces back for halo 5 in a knee jerk reaction
I am absolutely positive that there was a massive story rewrite at some point in reaction to halo 4's story. People did not like halo 4's story when it came out and so they brough familiar faces back for halo 5 in a knee jerk reaction
There's actually a decent amount of peopel who like Halo 4s story.
There's actually a decent amount of peopel who like Halo 4s story.
A decent amount now appreciate it. I was someone who liked it day one, but many people, if memory serves me correctly, hated it. It was confusing, whos the didact, sad boi chief, too much lore, wheres my power fantasy blah blah blah. So we got a dumbed down halo 5
I can make 2 guesses

1. Microsoft wanted to push Sales

2. Probably Brian Reed
Microsoft are a corporation who puts money before anything else when they feel they can get away with it, so Halo 5: Guardians' deceptive marketing was most likely because they didn't think the game was good enough to reach the sales they were hoping for. Hell, people were even misled about the downloadable content as most of it was content that would've been in previous Halo games at launch, could've been created by players, and so on.

It's also possible that Microsoft intervened and prevented 343 Industries from taking too many risks with a more interesting story (especially in regards to the franchise's main protagonist and face of the Xbox brand). I've never seen evidence to back this up, though, so I'm more inclined to think that the deceptive marketing was done to maximize profits in the short term.
I can make 2 guesses

1. Microsoft wanted to push Sales

2. Probably Brian Reed
Change the story, but doesn't change any of the marketing.