Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why would you rather lose than use a mic?

OP Gamer USA X

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16
If I have teammates that talk I use a mic otherwise I am usally in silence
I occasionally use my mic when I'm playing alone, but most of the time I don't. Let me explain why.

In our society, verbal communication is no longer the norm. Text-based communication is. We can argue all day about whether that's good or bad, but the point is that speaking with others is no longer as natural as it once was, especially among the younger generation, especially among gamers. As a mid-twenties male, I'm in this demographic, though I fancy myself more social than most.

Nevertheless, speaking takes energy. In life, a person is judged by what he or she says, and you're always cognizant of that pressure, so much so that you subconsciously account for it even when it doesn't matter (such as when playing Halo).

When I play a video game, I'm doing so on my downtime. I care about winning, but I'm also trying to relax, and going hardcore MLG every game is not my idea of a good time. For example, I don't pick up the sniper in every game. In the same way, I don't plug in my mic and start doing call outs and having conversations with kids on my team. That takes focus, and I'm here primarily to play, not to focus.
Well op I think you have a good understanding now
I don't like squeakers and kids blaring dubstep
What a silly question. I usually go in with a small team of friends.
I like playing/chatting with mature adults and there is not many of them on Halo unfortunately
Most of the time, you have tons of people who never are productive or help out when talking, a few times there is, but most of the time they are not. Either they are being racist, sexist, eating, arguing with someone that is not even playing, or just being rude when they are asked to mute there mic. Sure there are a few people who do not do this, but it is such a small percentage, its not worth it. I tend to play with friends anyway to avoid the above from happening
I used to use a mic when I played with randoms in matchmaking, but recently there have been some big time roid ragers online who have no chill at all towards their teammates. That's why I just mute everybody at the beginning of games
Considering you get a basic mic free with your xbox...no. I have often wondered this though (and been frustrated over it), with more games head toward more co-opness and H5 being built more around that than the others, i don't understand it. The only logical explanation is they don't feel like listening to the people who just try to annoy as many people as possible cause their children and those who can't relies that their allowing feed back and echo through their mics cause their TV is too loud or something. But you can just mute those people like i do.

Oh, and also the -Yoinks!- who have side conversations and arguments with people and don't mute their -Yoinking!- mic. Those people probably piss me off the most.

BE RESPECTFUL PEOPLE!!!

But in the games that everyone is communicating effectively it doubles the enjoyment and your chances of winning. I like those games
In H3 EVERYONE had a mic and you could smak talk the other team in the pre-game and post-game lobby. In fact, it would keep the same 2 teams if no one quite so you could play the same team over and over again and raise the smak talk. But now ... sigh ....
people are probably in party chat...thats what i do
Because not everyone Who plays halo takes it super serious, they just wanna chill have fun they might be in a party talking to friends too, there are Lots of different factors. Very simple answer :)
Ok I've been playing the Halo 2 theme In the lobby then letting it continue during the beginning of the match as a epic motivator
Yeah too many people dont know how to play with a mic. Usually blaring music.
Because in Halo 5 it doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it only matters how many Req points you get out of the match.
I heard the dumbest conversation between two kids the other day.
One was speaking english the other spanish and for the life of them they couldn't figure out that they didnt understand what the other was saying.
I got my mic out just to tell them both, in english and the best i could in espanol, that neither could understand what the other was saying and that their conversation was meaningless.
They each asked me what i said to the other.
i muted them both.

I dont use my mic because it saves me the head ache. spartan chatter ftw even though it's annoying.
With a vast majority of the "community" playing in utter silence, I find my self curious. Why would people rather lose match after match rather than communicate the simpliest information such as when attacking or where attackers are? Is it a cost thing?
1. The vitriol on Xbox Live and inane lack of helpfulness of the vast majority.
2. Spartans now communicate to one another via chatter, rendering actually talking less necessary than ever.
3. Introversion.
4. In spite of thoughts to the contrary, communication is key only when a team is actually capable of capitalizing on it. Often, communication does nothing for me that having an intelligent, strategic team wouldn't anyhow.
5. I prefer casual play. Why be sweaty when you can have fun instead? Chill, people, it's a game.
6. ...and loud music.
It's pointless these days. Doesn't really help you in any way in the game so why would you use it? Like the others have said, what you get from the other side is way too annoying. I have the MC controller so I have that little jack that I can plug my Logitech headphones into, but I'd rather keep them plugged into my computer so I can listen to a podcast or something while I play.
Also if you have a loud set up people are annoyed hearing you over their mic
It's a loaded question, you shouldn't have to use a mic to win. But to be honest in all the games i play I never hear anyone talking so chances are me speaking won't make that much difference. People also like being able to play the game casually, I just like to chill playing the game with some music on, having to talk to people I have never met, especially considering the large numbers of kids (no offense) and just plain idiots, makes the game a lot more stressful. Also even when I have had someone on mic telling me what to do, it's not ever made much difference, 9/10 times I know what to do, I know where people are I have the ability to see that myself without someone telling me. I know how to work together with another player without being told what exactly I have to do. They could fix the problem by introducing a solo and team playlist? But im guessing halo 5 doesn't have enough of a playerbase to support that.
Like I said: Squeakers and dubstep idiots
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16