Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Will 343 Botch The Flood?

OP Vicodxn

I'm gonna start this by both saying that one, I think 343 is a solid company that has done more good for the halo series than bad, implementating new gameplay styles in order to allow halo to survive in the new generation of fast paced FPS gameplay is no easy task; and secondly I'd like to credit TheActMan for mentioning something similar in a video that inspired this forum post. Now onto what I mean by saying 343 will botch the flood or more accurately, why 343 should wait until Halo 7 to give the flood a true, real return. The reason I say this is because 343 is expected to cover the Banished, The Spirit of Fire, the Created, The Unsc, the Swords of Sanghelios, AND the flood in this new game, now that is a HUGE task for a writing team with only 3 years to create a compelling and satisfying narrative, but it's down right impossible when only about a year goes into the writing, the other time is spent making the code and trying to get it to run properly, found graphic design, character modeling, sound recording, and the hardest part, get the freakin engine to run the code. And that opens up something else i want to real quickly mention, nowadays triple A Andrew mainstream games are hated on more and more and more for having sloppy and repetitive gameplay or storytelling. And a lot of people love to blame the developers, but the sad truth is that the developers are doing the best they can with the very limited time they are given, I mean I know that sounds crazy, 3 years is not enough??? But the fact of the matter is that 3 years in between game titles was a system that both worked and made sense way back when games where simple and primal compared to what's expected of games nowadays. I mean every game should get more and more next gen and require more and more processing power and time, but the socially acceptable time for game development has remained the same, if games like Halo 6 are gonna be able to tell a good story and deliver next gen gameplay, they need to be allowed more time to produce and craft the games, okay that's all from me I'm sorry if there are any typos I didn't catch.
Well my speculation is h6 will launch with no flood at all (minus a flood firefight gamemode) but 1 year later we will get a dlc with a couple small missions to show the flood is released (not via high charity but some other way)
Well my speculation is h6 will launch with no flood at all (minus a flood firefight gamemode) but 1 year later we will get a dlc with a couple small missions to show the flood is released (not via high charity but some other way)
Yeah I hope they find another way for the flood to return because personally I'd like to explore a flood outbreak on some new planet that you get to see become progressively more infested and coroded as the missions go on, it'd be a cool way for players to see the true danger and malice that the flood bring to planets. Also we've already had two cool battles with the flood on the Arc
Due to the Legendary ending of Halo 5 (is it spoilers if it's been out for 2 years?), it would appear that we're finally going back to a Halo ring. This makes me think that the flood will play some role in the game simply because I associate them with the rings. Hopefully they don't completely change everything about the flood, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new flood form or something of the like. I'm not exactly sure how the flood would work into the story at this point though.
I'd consider them botching it just by their inclusion period. There's no interest to me reusing the same enemy various games, the covenant races are already tiring as is and the promeatheans are getting there, I'd leave the flood alone so that they don't join the club. I wouldn't mind the banished so long as the jirraheas are the primary focus to them as one has never been featured in a real leadership role in game. "If" they bring the flood back, o think they've got to really expand on the threat level, as in spreading to various parts of the galaxy cause one little infestation on a planet/ring won't cut it for me this time. I'd rather see them be a galactic threat to spread more urgency.

"implementating new gameplay styles in order to allow halo to survive in the new generation of fast paced FPS gameplay is no easy task; " I don't think this holds much weight being how the classic style was never even given a chance to go stale, that and implementing this "new" (which I call copy and pasting) gameplay has only resulted in the loss of sales+ player retention. Had the classic style been given a chance to even get old and show a decline then maybe I'd be more inclined to think changing was necessary but that didn't happen so I can't think changing was for the better, especially since I despise so much of it.
The only way to screw up the flood is to bring them back.
I loved the flood. Hell, Library is my favorite level.

I would love to see them back on the ring, basically trapped inside it like in H1. Having Prometheans, Humans, Covenants and Flood fighting on one single battlefield... that would be awesome!
Feel free to use any of the existing wish list threads in General Discussion or Universe to talk about future Halo games. This forum is for discussing Halo 5