Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Wish halo was more solo player friendly

OP MomsSpaghetttti

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
One thing halo 5 lacks is the ability to make solo playing enjoyable. There is really only 1 playlist for solo players and that's free for all. Which has its own issues to begin with. Most games I play free for all at least 1-2 people quit early so you spend the rest of the game wandering the map and rarely find anyone. But that's a different topic. Basically if you want to solo queue halo 5 you are screwed. The matchmaking is so bad you almost always match against higher ranked full teams. I played 7 straight ranked slayer games on my other account and it was 3v4 every game from the beginning. I always have team mates drop. I wish there was an option for players like me who just want to hop on and play 5-6 quick games and not have to worry about playing against full Squads each game while my matched team is a bunch of solos without mics and someone on my team quitting. Also the servers have been extremely bad for me the last 5 weeks which adds to the frustration. I think the entire matchmaking system is a mess. I'm a legit low level platinum and I play onyx almost every game yet my team and I Are all platinum ranks. Of course we get destroyed. Or we start out down 5 kills quick and then someone quits and I get to enjoy another 3v4 2v4 situation.
Yeah the ranked side of matchmaking really sucks if you don't have a squad to play with. Usually when I solo I just do social. Those playlists all have JIP which (when working) prevents those 1- or 2-v-4 games.
I guess an argument can be made that 343 is trying to be more solo friendly for WZ. Since they're trying to herd large teams into their Warlords playlist and have already limited the fireteam size to 6.
When I play solo my game modes are Ffa fiesta and warzone assault.

When i I have a fireteam I play slayer, warzone assault or btb.

I hate regular warzone without a full fireteam.

But I have a good experience both with or without a fireteam.
According to the updates that 343 has been posting over in the Matchmaking section, supposedly a fix is in the long term works where, if a TO4 is being pitted against randoms, they will increase the collective skill level of the randoms to balance things out. Not sure when that will go into effect though.

As others have said, if you don't have a team it's probably best to avoid anything in Ranked Arena except for FFA.
When's solo queue
One thing halo 5 lacks is the ability to make solo playing enjoyable. There is really only 1 playlist for solo players and that's free for all. Which has its own issues to begin with. Most games I play free for all at least 1-2 people quit early so you spend the rest of the game wandering the map and rarely find anyone. But that's a different topic. Basically if you want to solo queue halo 5 you are screwed. The matchmaking is so bad you almost always match against higher ranked full teams. I played 7 straight ranked slayer games on my other account and it was 3v4 every game from the beginning. I always have team mates drop. I wish there was an option for players like me who just want to hop on and play 5-6 quick games and not have to worry about playing against full Squads each game while my matched team is a bunch of solos without mics and someone on my team quitting. Also the servers have been extremely bad for me the last 5 weeks which adds to the frustration. I think the entire matchmaking system is a mess. I'm a legit low level platinum and I play onyx almost every game yet my team and I Are all platinum ranks. Of course we get destroyed. Or we start out down 5 kills quick and then someone quits and I get to enjoy another 3v4 2v4 situation.
yeah i know what u mean i cant rank in arena above gold cause im a solo player and get screwed either by getting outplayed on the enemy side from 4 man fireteams or just randoms not calling stuff out my shot is ok its not the best its just hard to do anything being a solo player thats why i actually stick to just warzone unless i can get some people to play with lol
I gave up trying to hit Onyx rank in Team Arena. Matchmaking system lacks having a filter system so solos can play with solos while fireteams play other fireteams. Now, I'm just playing BTB my favourite playlist ever in Halo and kinda getting frustrated on the amount of JIP games I'm getting into.
imo its not the fireteam vs solos matchmaking that is the issue. it is all the people who realistically arent good at the game playing ranked matches to begin with and then the terrible matchmaking system pairing them with better players because in reality there arent enough people playing anymore for the system to work properly. I play solo every game unless a friend of mine hops and i have no trouble going against fireteams by myself but cant carry people who are plat or onyx going 4/13.

The whole crux of the problem is 343 trying to cater to those with no skill by not making them feel bad when these people need to learn the game is a competitive multiplayer. I dont buy madden or nba games because i suck at those and hate playing them but people want to try and make halo this fun for all who cares if you went 0/20 you had fun dying over and over wasting time. There is a reason everyone calls this the worst halo ever, and its not even about the microtransactions. This entire game feels like one giant attempt at equalizing something that cant be equalized....natural ability
I've never played on a fireteam in Halo 5 - I play alone even though I play team games. It's just what I do and I enjoy it even if I go 3/26. If there were engaging solo gametypes I would play them, but FFA gets boring quickly. Furthermore, I'm not sure why game makers don't seem to understand that there are lots of people who really can't be bothered with "getting good" and just want jump in and have an experience. There has to be a way to keep the two player types separated and happy. Say they create a skill measuring system that actually works. Players of high skill would not even be allowed to play certain types of games designed for low skill players. And naturally vice versa - no low skill players allowed in the more challenging playlists. The system could even encourage or invite low skill players into the difficult games when their skills rose high enough. I've played all the Halos and Marathon before that. It's really the only game I have ever played continually. I'm not good nor will I ever be. My skills plateaued at a very low level decades ago. Why can't the multilayer systems accommodate me more effectively? I don't ever want to play people that are good, and I know for sure they don't want me on their team - ever.
Look if you want to play for fun just do it, dont bother with caring about you rank just play, just because its rank doesn't mean you can't have fun. Its only around Platinum and above you should play seriously if you dont want hate from solo players trying to get better. Other than that you can play team skirmish.
I just play Infection, having a team helps but is not necessary.
I disagree. As a primarily solo player, I have enjoyed H5 very much, If I want to relax there is WZF. I do not care for FFA, it seems very boring, matches take too long. I will sometimes ignore fireteam requests to continue being solo. There are definite disadvantages, don't get me wrong, but it has not impacted my satisfaction with the game.
Halo has always been known as a team game. I solo queue all the time and sure i run into teams and it can be frustrating but i would say majority of my games, i don't run into teams.
imo its not the fireteam vs solos matchmaking that is the issue. it is all the people who realistically arent good at the game playing ranked matches to begin with and then the terrible matchmaking system pairing them with better players because in reality there arent enough people playing anymore for the system to work properly. I play solo every game unless a friend of mine hops and i have no trouble going against fireteams by myself but cant carry people who are plat or onyx going 4/13.

The whole crux of the problem is 343 trying to cater to those with no skill by not making them feel bad when these people need to learn the game is a competitive multiplayer. I dont buy madden or nba games because i suck at those and hate playing them but people want to try and make halo this fun for all who cares if you went 0/20 you had fun dying over and over wasting time. There is a reason everyone calls this the worst halo ever, and its not even about the microtransactions. This entire game feels like one giant attempt at equalizing something that cant be equalized....natural ability
They just need to allow for longer waits between mm times. I got the typical angy message calling me trash and Garbo at the game this morning. In the hcs playlist I should not be playing against or with a guy who is a doubles champion level player. We're just in different leagues. No matter how hard I try I won't be able to keep up with that kind of skill.

Competative doesnt mean just high skilled players. It means playing against equally skilled players. Give me diamond players in slayer. Give me gold/platinum in arena. Not a player who is a champ is the sweatiest playlist in halo. And why the hell does halo rank a player champion in doubles and low platinum in the hcs playlist. That allows for such a drastic skill gap that isn't fun for anyone.
I disagree. As a primarily solo player, I have enjoyed H5 very much, If I want to relax there is WZF. I do not care for FFA, it seems very boring, matches take too long. I will sometimes ignore fireteam requests to continue being solo. There are definite disadvantages, don't get me wrong, but it has not impacted my satisfaction with the game.
This is kind of how I feel.

@OP I hear what your saying and somewhat agree, but as CapnDerpwad said, 343I are working on this. This isn't something that can be fixed over night and it's even harder when less and less people play the game.

Personally, and as a side note, I've never understood how anyone expects to get a high rank in a TEAM playlist when playing solo and most likely not communicating...Unless your just stupid good! I play solo a lot and sometimes I'll do team ranked solo, but rarely. I just find it frustrating because no one talks, yet everyone still expects to do great. I enjoy soical modes like 4-4 or BTB when I'm solo a lot more. I just...play and however good I do, I do :)
What else is new?
I'm a solo player, Im never really playing with my friends. I like a challenge. If your good than you can deal with it.
Indeed just have different solo game modes, no parties aloud. Like in FFA.
I play the ranked because skirmish matches worse than the ranked playlists. I'll be paired against players who've logged 30+days when I'm pushing 1. I do just fine I'm usually top for my team. But it's not very fun. Just giving an opinion of something they could change. Cod has had a mercenary team slayer playlist forever and it's my favorite. No teams allowed just solo. The games are almost always very evenly matched and a lot of fun. Not one team destroying the other. I mean I'm not always on the bad side there's times I get paired with a team of 3 against other solos and we win like 50-20. That's not fun either.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2