Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Would you recommend the Elite Controller for Halo?

OP At the Nozzle

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to ask if Elite Controllers are recommended for Halo? As I continue getting up the ranks in SWAT I ma find players that are very quick and able to do things that I can't no matter how hard I try. I don't want to make excuse but what I feel is slowing me down is I need to take off my finger to use my thrusters (Helljumper). I also play in a weird claw way where I wrap my pointer finger to hit the Y or X button as needed to swap of thrust but the downside is sometimes my aiming gets a bit wonky trying to do it all at once. The other downside is when I play warzone I can't throw grenades really well because I have to claw and aim.

Now, this was fine when I was against Gold players. Things were slower and a mistake was recoverable. However, as I move up in the ranks to Platinum, Diamond, and onyx, things are very fast and mistake result in instant death. What I do notice is how fluid players are in their movements. They just slide, jump, and thrust so quickly and I attempted it for months but iI just seem a tad slower having to claw or take my finger off and that really matters at this level it seems.

Is this controller a necessity at these ranks?
It's up to you. The additional paddles on the Elite controller's underside may give you that extra boost, but the fragile bumpers could be concerning. Otherwise, the standard Xbox controller is fine.
I use an elite. I have one paddle for ducking and one for thrust. The rest of the controller is the standard layout. It makes a difference a for me. I had one controller with about 10,000 warzone games and all the buttons and bumpers worked fine. The problem I did have was the connector using it wired broke just recently and the rubber grips came unglued. I did take care of I though, I never threw it and tried not to drop.
I play just fine with the og controller. I dont think elite really helps any if much at all.
The elite was worth the money for me because of the additional settings. I use bumper jumper. The bumpers were poorly engineered and break with extensive use. Fortunately it's an easy fix. Go to amazon or ebay and order a pair for about 10 bucks. U-tube has ton of vids on how to repair them (really easy). For me all the customizing, hair pin triggers, paddles, adjusting sensitivity on the thumbsticks was worth it.
The Elite is worth every cent, at the same time it is built very poorly. I am on my second one and made sure I purchased it at Best Buy and paid for the additional warranty. When the bumper breaks or pads come unglued I will return it. I also keep it in its case when not playing.
Works for me. I'm older (60) and me reaction time ain't what it was. The Elite controller helps compensate for that and makes evasive maneuvers easier.
Yes. Definitely. BUT - it depends on how effective it is, right? Before using the elite controller, playing only team slayer SOLO with randoms, I got to D4-5. Since using the elite controller I got to D6, but that might just be me improving in general. Then, the remaining 70% of my time was/is spent rank-locked in low platinums.

Overall I'd say NO. You'll get dependent on it but that's ok. I wish I had stuck with claw. So, learn to claw and find people to play with/against who are better than you if you will play any team-multiplayer.

Then pray H6 has a fair team-matching/ranking system.
i recommend they remove aim assit in the game...so your real skill would show
I use the add on paddles made by collective minds. It'll save you money compared to the elite controller and you can easily swap it to a new stock controller once the analogs get worn. It has two paddles that I usually set to boost and crouch but it's really handy to have jump also. I would give it 5 stars even though the paddles do tend to break after maybe a year. You can buy replacement ones for 10 a pair though so it's not a big deal. Most wal marts have the kit in stock. Once you use paddles you will likely hate playing without them.
I play claw and bumper jumper. I hear ya on claw making aiming a bit wonky, but honestly a few hours of focused practice does away with the kinks. I play mostly free-for-all around the high onyx/champion border, and my accuracy is regularly around 65% in my matches (sensitivity 4, acceleration 5). I had my first 80% in a FFA match the other day, and I regularly get messages from kids accusing me of cheating (swag!).

If you want a way to practice, go into the level unconfirmed on normal or heroic in the campaign. Play until you get to the underground area with the gazillions of crawlers and save a checkpoint. Go up onto the pipes that overlook the area with a dmr, and stand still and practice moving your reticle ever so slightly around trying to headshot the crawlers. Take cover as needed, but don't move to help you aim. Focus on the very dead center of your reticle for shooting the crawlers way in the distance. Your thumb will get really precise and articulate in its ability to make really small adjustments--it's better that you're shooting crawlers while the reticle is white, because you can't rely on auto-aim to make your shots. Doing this for even like ten minutes can make a huge difference, and it's how I fixed my accuracy problems with claw. If you're serious about upping your game, this is a great way to do it! Best of luck.
If you play with a claw what is the point of using the elite controller? If you don't have the elite controller atm don't buy it just to become better at swat. I think this is a matter of playing more often to the point where you won't make those mistakes anymore. Or switch your button layout to bumper jumper maybe? You should play more regular slayer then swat will be a piece of cake. I have a friend who is Gold 4 in slayer and Champ something in swat.
Works for me. I'm older (60) and me reaction time ain't what it was. The Elite controller helps compensate for that and makes evasive maneuvers easier.
hahaha... Same here. I'm 62 and need all the help I can get!... lol
I play claw and bumper jumper. I hear ya on claw making aiming a bit wonky, but honestly a few hours of focused practice does away with the kinks. I play mostly free-for-all around the high onyx/champion border, and my accuracy is regularly around 65% in my matches (sensitivity 4, acceleration 5). I had my first 80% in a FFA match the other day, and I regularly get messages from kids accusing me of cheating (swag!).

If you want a way to practice, go into the level unconfirmed on normal or heroic in the campaign. Play until you get to the underground area with the gazillions of crawlers and save a checkpoint. Go up onto the pipes that overlook the area with a dmr, and stand still and practice moving your reticle ever so slightly around trying to headshot the crawlers. Take cover as needed, but don't move to help you aim. Focus on the very dead center of your reticle for shooting the crawlers way in the distance. Your thumb will get really precise and articulate in its ability to make really small adjustments--it's better that you're shooting crawlers while the reticle is white, because you can't rely on auto-aim to make your shots. Doing this for even like ten minutes can make a huge difference, and it's how I fixed my accuracy problems with claw. If you're serious about upping your game, this is a great way to do it! Best of luck.
Could you make a clip of this area, please? Attempting to find it right now lol.
For me the elite controller was definitely worth it. I had already played Halo for over 7 years with a normal grip so I was way beyond bothering to learn claw grip.

I use two paddles with jump and thrust in them. It's very convinient to not have to move my thumb from the right stick for a lot of actions. I'm on my second controller aswell, after 10 months of very active gaming my left stick got some serious drifting issues so I had it returned and now I'm on my second one with no problems at about 8 months.

In the end it's certainly not a necessity in order to do well - there are pro players who use the regular controller. For me the paddles, the other customization options and the surface material (my hands sweated with the regular controller) made it worth the price.
I busted my hand when I was young and much angrier than I am now. Had to have surgery to repair it. It’s repaired fine, But sometimes for long periods of gaming my hand would really cramp up and cause me a lot of pain.

I bought the elite to help with the pain, and it’s worked wonders. I have 2paddles set up. 1 for jump 1 for crouch. The only buttons I ever have to switch my thumb off the stick is to reload and switch weapons.

I can now game all Friday evening without any pain. So imo the elite is well worth the extra cost.

Im no super star at any video games. So I don’t think it makes you any better, maybe slightly due to comfort reasons but not worth the price tag. . If you’re just looking for a performance increase just learn to play claw.

For comfort though especially for someone with any problems with their hands. I recommend 100% elite.
i recommend they remove aim assit in the game...so your real skill would show
No thank you. Anyone who played Halo CE coop back in the day, and got upset with your partner would know why ;)

Could you make a clip of this area, please? Attempting to find it right now lol.
Sent ya a message w the video on xbl.. couldn't figure out how to share it here lol.
I play the game with the normal controller but I've heard some good things about the elite controller. I think its up to you though.
I started with using the elite controller until the grips unstuck and it became too uncomfortable to use. I mainly used the controller for its weight, I like the way its heavier, the custom button mapping and cable were pretty neat too.Never really used the back paddles, they just kind of got in the way. Anyway I'm thinking of using silicon to glue the grips back down, gotta be careful most glues melt through the type of rubber that its made out of.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2