WTF is a "Try Hard"?

OP Bonappy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Seriously, this term needs to die like the word groovy. I think this fixation of players now a days acting like they are not trying to do well is stupid. Most of us have massive egos, especially when it comes to gaming, and we want our performance to match how good we think we are in our head.

Unless you are literally effin around on a mongoose trying to get long jump splatter, most people are trying to do well.
The problem with it is that its used in a negative light. Just like the word gay.
I'm a "try hard" because everything I do in life I try to do the best I can so I work, play and try hard obviously lol.
I think it's just people who suck and get destroyed claim that the other player is a "try hard" like not trying is the more hip thing to do lmao..

I dont get get the guys who rage hard over a single loss though that to me is a little over the top as you will always meet some player/team who are just plain better that you, that's life.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
A try hard is someone who just beat a crybaby.
A try hard is someone who just beat a crybaby.
This!
From what I have gathered on the forums, a try hard is someone who is better than you beating you and then you get salty. Then the correct term to call them is a "try hard"

Try Hard - the derogatory term used to describe another person when you get angry at them for being better than you in a video game.
I don't use the phrase try hard. I don't care about them trying to do well. What I care about is being a -Yoink- about it, in which case I just call them a -Yoink-.
"Everyone is stealing my kills"...the list goes on into their mic. So glad 2 guy's started making fun of a guy who was in a huff over so many thing's the other night. My heart grew as they mocked him.
Oh poor baby gonna cry ohhhh you stole my kills
:) I try hard !! As hard as I can all the while not lowering my self into a sexist homophobic racist rant! :)
For me, the definition of Try Hard is as follows:

A player who is willing to do ANYTHING in the power of the game to win. You know the person, that guy that goes to the SAME cheap spot over and over again so long as it works. No matter how frowned upon or discouraged the tactic or strategy is. For example, a player who ONLY camps the cheapest spots, utilizes the strongest weapons in the cheapest way possible (camping in a corner with a rocket launcher or something, never taking a risk in the most douchey way possible).

The other version of try hard I see is are the groups of 10+ players who have sequenced gamertags. Like names with a prefix following like TCL or something. These guys are literally trying to hard in my eyes lol. It's just announcing that they're so lame and into the game that they're willing to pay to change all of their gamertags to something synced up.

I give it my all when it comes to FPS multiplayer, but I'm not a tryhard. Is this sort of making sense? I might not be explaining well.
Try-Hards are the reason Controllers have such high sales: sweat and electronics don't mix.
Well, I'm sure the original definition probably meant something like a noob with cheap tactics... Unfortunately, people are using it with the following definition

Try Hard - Noun. Anyone who is better than you at the game.
McGrunty wrote:

A player who is willing to do ANYTHING in the power of the game to win. You know the person, that guy that goes to the SAME cheap spot over and over again so long as it works. No matter how frowned upon or discouraged the tactic or strategy is. For example, a player who ONLY camps the cheapest spots, utilizes the strongest weapons in the cheapest way possible (camping in a corner with a rocket launcher or something, never taking a risk in the most douchey way possible).

The other version of try hard I see is are the groups of 10+ players who have sequenced gamertags. Like names with a prefix following like TCL or something. These guys are literally trying to hard in my eyes lol. It's just announcing that they're so lame and into the game that they're willing to pay to change all of their gamertags to something synced up.

I give it my all when it comes to FPS multiplayer, but I'm not a tryhard. Is this sort of making sense? I might not be explaining well.
So because you are too high and mighty to use power weapons and lose to people who use them like you are supposed to, and zone you like they are supposed to, they are try hards? I think I'll log you into the salty category of spices.

Heres my new definition
Try Hards = People who use their brain while playing a video game.
Non-Try Hards = People who want to play halo like it is a coloring book with directions.
Like, I get that you play against people whose play styles rub you the wrong way. Most of the time it's just someone who is getting the better of you and you feel like they aren't better than you. But this try had s*&^ is dumb. Halo is a violent and aggressive game so to even be slightly competitive you have to be "trying hard".
Most people here have it wrong. A try hard is someone who is always frustrated and yelling at teammates when they lose and trash talking to add insult to injury when they win. These are people who take the game way too seriously in a laughable way. They typically get themselves worked up into a sweat hence the full name "sweaty try hard".

Being a try hard doesn't necessarily define skill. It just happens that you find more try hards among higher skilled players which gives the competitive community a bad name. Not every skilled player is a try hard.
Most people here have it wrong. A try hard is someone who is always frustrated and yelling at teammates when they lose and trash talking to add insult to injury when they win. These are people who take the game way too seriously in a laughable way. They typically get themselves worked up into a sweat hence the full name "sweaty try hard".

Being a try hard doesn't necessarily define skill. It just happens that you find more try hards among higher skilled players which gives the competitive community a bad name. Not every skilled player is a try hard.
This I completely agree with, if I was going to give a true definition of try hard it definitely is a player who gets mad and yells at other players.
TryHard: Negative Connotation- a person who plays for stats and increasing the size of their digital -Yoink-, may not be a team player and will talk crap to you if your k/d is lower or "not on their level." may take the game too seriously and possibly validates their very existence.

in a positive light a tryhard can be a team player that pushes others to do well so the whole team profits. try harding on the team level is generally accepted because they consistently win games and sometimes go negative, i wouldnt say they consider "carrying" but as long as its close and they are pulling their weight going negative a few games is ok.

anecdote: i tend to look like i am carried because i will give call outs or hold a position on the map to control spawns/power weapons
McGrunty wrote:

So because you are too high and mighty to use power weapons and lose to people who use them like you are supposed to, and zone you like they are supposed to, they are try hards? I think I'll log you into the salty category of spices.

Heres my new definition
Try Hards = People who use their brain while playing a video game.
Non-Try Hards = People who want to play halo like it is a coloring book with directions.
That's.....one way to interpret that post I guess. But you know exactly what I'm talking about. That certain type of player who ONLY uses cheap tactics and never gets into a face to face confrontation, like shamelessly hiding around a corner indefinitely regardless of incoming enemies. I play smart and of course prioritize using power weapons, but when I get a rocket launcher, I have at least enough confidence in myself to not be a complete wiener with it.

There really aren't that many tryhards in halo 5. And thus I don't really get "salty" about it like you say.
So campers lol sorry "call of duty players"
I haven't played a COD since Black ops (or was it black ops II? who's keeping count lol) but yes, campers were pretty prevalent in that game, and yeah I guess that does make up 80% of the people I'm talking about.

In my mind tryhards = campers no matter what.

But with halo 5 having such a strong grenade meta game camping is not very effective in this game. Anyway I was just giving my two cents on what the definition of tryhard was to me. There isn't many tryhards based on my parameters that I've seen in halo 5.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5