Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

WZ Firefight boring...but didn't have to be.

OP Frustrated Bees

For a couple of rounds, WZ firefight is great. Waves of infantry come at you, and your weapons match up to the test. It's fun; it's almost close to being...epic.

Then the enemy vehicles arrive--all over the vast maps, in what I assume was an attempt to take 'epic' to another level...

But it doesn't work.

For want of a better word, its alien. Alien to what makes previous Halo campaigns and firefights great: big scale, but played out in many small arenas. Small rooms, fields, bases--always outnumbered, but rarely outgunned, and NEVER dull.

But WZ firefight? From round 3 on, you're playing Command and Conquer, or some free phone app, hammering away at big targets from a distance, watching a bar decrease slowly, dreaming about assassinating an elite, or dodging a berserking brute, or making a last stand in some dusty outpost, shotgun in hand.

It's boring.

And it's a real shame, because all the constituent parts of a good game are here, it's just that they've been assembled incorrectly. Insert Reach/ODST firefight onto these maps, lose the vehicles, and the damn Prometheans, and you've got a masterpiece.

I hope Infinite is better. And I hope it doesn't force me to buy my weapons in-game after paying for a new console and disc.

That would make me a very sour spartan indeed.
Yup, but I'm not gonna get started on all the reasons why, pretty sure 343 wouldnt care.
It was mostly just put there and left, I just wished they made updates so it kept it up to date
For a couple of rounds, WZ firefight is great. Waves of infantry come at you, and your weapons match up to the test. It's fun; it's almost close to being...epic.

Then the enemy vehicles arrive--all over the vast maps, in what I assume was an attempt to take 'epic' to another level...

But it doesn't work.
It's boring.
I hope Infinite is better
Totally agree, those levels kill it for me too.

It was mostly just put there and left, I just wished they made updates so it kept it up to date
... and now the lag that is killing it even more, that and the team averse players.

Its only advantage is that it's the best way to grind XP ...
vengeant wrote:

But it doesn't work.
It's boring.
I hope Infinite is better
Totally agree, those levels kill it for me too.

... and now the lag that is killing it even more, that and the team averse players.

Its only advantage is that it's the best way to grind XP ...
I'll never understand grinding XP in a game mode you don't enjoy for a digital reward that has no value. Whatever ever happened to rewarding gameplay experiences?
Yeah I avoid firefight like the plague. I only play it if I have a legendary ai kill gambit to burn. I would rather not play Halo than to have to play more than 1 or 2 ff matches back to back.
The main issue with firefight and even regular warzone, is the enemy AI and especially the bosses are basically stupid. They mainly stick to one area of the map. They don't really move around a lot and will only attack you if you attack them or get close to them. I want smarter enemies not dumb bullet sponge enemies. The other issue is the spawns are way to predictable. It's easy to get instant boss kills via splatters since they spawn same time and place, why can't it be more random ( maybe have them come in via drop pod and not just appear). But heroic warzone firefight is great for XP grind good RP and XP pay outs in what can be short time frames.
And I still like playing it 1000X more than I do regular Warzone.
Honestly think ODST firefight has been the best in the series... but I’m biased, of course.
yeah is boring, only works for exp
I'll never understand grinding XP in a game mode you don't enjoy for a digital reward that has no value. Whatever ever happened to rewarding gameplay experiences?
lol ... they went out the window with the arrival of shoulder bash and ground pound ;-)
vengeant wrote:
lol ... they went out the window with the arrival of shoulder bash and ground pound ;-)
These 2 mechanics really have minimal impact to ones gameplay experience playing war zone .
OP, this details WZF’s problems so perfectly. I couldn’t put my finger on every reason why I did not enjoy WZF nearly as much as I did Reach/ODST Firefight. I like your analysis of the enemy placement and the whole “command and conquer” thing. Every other point resonated with me, but especially the ones you made about round 3 on and how it sucks that we can’t enjoy the weapon sandbox without dishing out more cash or endlessly grinding for an RNG pack. I always stuck to the loadout weapons because I hate the REQ system like nothing else and the weapon tunings made the loadout weapons not fun too. This is one of the reasons I can’t wait for Reach to come to MCC because Firefight will be fun again. And yes, here’s to hoping the one in Infinite will be a 343i original that is better than WZF.
Reach arcadefight with its unlimited ammo and lives was just as bad and that is what everyone picked for some reason.

I do wish things were a bit more randomized in H5, as I agree it gets boring after a few matches.
Reach arcadefight with its unlimited ammo and lives was just as bad and that is what everyone picked for some reason.

I do wish things were a bit more randomized in H5, as I agree it gets boring after a few matches.
There is a very short list of things I wouldnt do to have a regular straight up fire fight back in matchmaking. -Yoink-, as it stands I would just settle for having parties of randoms stay together in WZF rather than shuffling the player deck between every match, or maybe I just need friends... I dunno
I agree with a majority of OP’s post.

My biggest personal issues with Warzone have to be the following things:

• People team killing others while they’re picking up their REQs, trying to get to an objective, etc. - It makes the game a lot less fun when your own team is either too oblivious or just trolls you for no reason.
  • The fact that it’s pretty much the same five maps recycled over and over. I’ve played them so much that I can quote Palmer word for word.
  • It’s a vehicular game after Round 2 or 3. I really would like to shoot my enemy with a rifle or handgun, not pump white hot plasma or 90mm tungsten rounds into a single enemy.
  • Grunt Mechs. Which hierarch gave an unggoy the keys to a mech suit?
  • The Discount Transformers in general; they’re spongier than Bob.
  • Boss AI in tight, compact spaces (i.e the four Elder Hunters or Warden Eternals shoved into an enclosed base. Yeah, it’s winnable, but the teamplay has to be spot on.
There’s more, but for all my personal issues with Warzone, I still enjoy it for what it’s worth. Mind you this whole comment was about Warzone Firefight, but I digress.

I always thought assigning two to four Spartans separate objectives might balance out the competitive aspect, such as having 1 - 4 mini objectives dotted around (you two hit the comms relay and take out the guards, you three take down that pair of hunters, etc.). That and take out the damaging (and killing) of teammates who are run over by friendly units because there’s no penalty for that kind of behavior.

That’s my two credits worth. Hopefully some folks agree with some of these points and hope to see you all starside.