Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Your opinion on twin jewels of maethrillian?

OP OmegaRogueGhost

I think this is the most avoided sniper weapon in the game. I can kind of see why. It's a very powerful weapon, but its duties seem to overlap with weapons that are both cheaper and more effective at what they do. For 6 req you can get an advanced beam/sniper rifle and for 4-5 you can get spartan lasers and railguns to deal with armor. It has a prolonged firing sequence and like the other binary rifles, it takes forever to reload. It also has quite a bit of recoil while it is firing, gives away your position when you smartlink, and I believe it is incapable of head shots.

It sounds pretty terrible, right?

I'm starting to think it is a very underrated weapon when used in open areas. First of all, with advanced shield you're going to be able to survive a headshot from most sniper and beam weapons. TJM has a beam that can not only kill someone with advanced shields, it lasts long enough to kill several Spartans. This is a major advantage, part of the trade off for the aforementioned drawbacks. It comes with quite a few rounds as well, meaning you can shoot at anything that moves and not have to worry about conserving ammo for soft targets. As a result it can change the tide of the battle rather quickly, and that's why I think it is underrated.
I'd rather take a Nornfang since it costs the same amount in Warzone.
It's a useful weapon, but I can count the times I've ever spawned one on a single hand. I would rather just use a regular sniper
I think this is the most avoided sniper weapon in the game. I can kind of see why. It's a very powerful weapon, but its duties seem to overlap with weapons that are both cheaper and more effective at what they do. For 6 req you can get an advanced beam/sniper rifle and for 4-5 you can get spartan lasers and railguns to deal with armor. It has a prolonged firing sequence and like the other binary rifles, it takes forever to reload. It also has quite a bit of recoil while it is firing, gives away your position when you smartlink, and I believe it is incapable of head shots.

It sounds pretty terrible, right?

I'm starting to think it is a very underrated weapon when used in open areas. First of all, with advanced shield you're going to be able to survive a headshot from most sniper and beam weapons. TJM has a beam that can not only kill someone with advanced shields, it lasts long enough to kill several Spartans. This is a major advantage, part of the trade off for the aforementioned drawbacks. It comes with quite a few rounds as well, meaning you can shoot at anything that moves and not have to worry about conserving ammo for soft targets. As a result it can change the tide of the battle rather quickly, and that's why I think it is underrated.
TBH I never had a problem with smart link giving me away; I just qwikskope. I appreciate the extra vehicle damage because, TBH, I think the spartan laser is crap and a waste of a REQ when a plasma pistol and a good sidearm with teamwork can do fine. The extended beam is nice and basically ensures a kill (or two). However, I will take the Nornfang over it about 10 times out of 10. I love the nornfang and I usually suck with snipers.
Is it still broken?
I usually use it a lot in Turbo, I like it over the other binary rifles.
Twin Jewels is a n ice weapon, but I prefer the Norfang... Destroys Spartan's, even if you hit'em in the foot with one shot... lol. Snappier, quicker weapon.
it takes out a wasp in 2 shots. Plus the overshield is definitely a good thing.
Twin Jewels is a n ice weapon, but I prefer the Norfang... Destroys Spartan's, even if you hit'em in the foot with one shot... lol. Snappier, quicker weapon.
it takes out a wasp in 2 shots. Plus the overshield is definitely a good thing.</p>
eLantern wrote:
Is it still broken?
I remember seeing this. Since I have been playing Halo 5 (about 1 year), I have not had this problem. After using it last night, I'm fairly certain the weapon itself is incapable of head shots but I believe it can still hit the head's hit box.

If I'm right about that, it's actually a good thing. Head shots are several times more difficult than body shots for most weapons, snipers included. The tradeoff is that you get the instant kill under normal conditions. The head shot is less worthwhile with binary weapons which can kill in one shot, unlike most sniper and beam rifle variants. I feel like it's akin to going for head shots with a rail gun. You can get them, like you can with the first 2 binaries, but why bother? This rifle has increased recoil over most sniper style weapons and I feel it's better to aim for center of mass anyway.
Twin jewels to me is the weakest high level req... Almost useless really compared to other reqs of that level.
I have four Platinum packs... If we match in a game send me a quick message in game saying I see you or something (so I can verify we did match) and a friend request so I can gift you a pack. You don't have to keep me as a "friend" as I am a solo player.
I think it's geared more as an anti-vehicle weapon than for killing Spartans, but I haven't read the description in forever.
Twin Jewels of Maethrillian is a very good variant of Binary Rifle. Normally I suck badly using sniper weapons of any type. But with TJoM? I didn't have that problem. Couldn't quite headshot a Spartan? Nailed 'em in the chest and they died. Vehicle harassing me? Two or three shots and it's gone. I can make much use of TJoM; I love it to pieces.
i perfer it over other other binary rifles but dont like them in genral
This weapon is a stand out for taking out Grunt Goblin. Very useful for breaking that shield down and disintegrating the grunt pilot inside and thus disintegrate the whole Grunt Goblin. I would say its a hard counter, and even if you don't hit the shield, if you hit the head portion of the goblin where its weakspot is it does extra damage to its armour.
I think the only time I ever use them is when I'm playing WZ FF and just wanna burn through some extra Reqs in my collection. I have over 200 of them and I would say they are pretty good at killing banshee raiders but at the end of the day it doesn't do anything special enough to warrant calling it in over a high tier vehicle or other anti vehicle weapons.