Your Team isn't the reason you aren't onyx

OP TrulyColorful

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
I've seen too many people claiming that they aren't Onyx because they don't have a full fireteam/their team sucks. You can get Onyx pretty easily going solo. I'm Onyx 1765 in arena right now and I've played every match solo without a mic, just tired of all the excuses.
I don't know man, you might've gotten pretty lucky with your teammates. It's very hard to get to Onyx if your teammates don't communicate, don't follow the objective, or just flat out suck. Even if you play your very best each game, you can still easily lose. Good job getting to Onyx solo though!

Edit: I don't mean to stat flame, but are you playing on a smurf account? I've never seen a solo Onyx player in Team Arena who is Spartan rank 39. Your Gamerscore is also on the lower side, but if you are just really good at the game, more power to you.
I don't know man, you might've gotten pretty lucky with your teammates. It's very hard to get to Onyx if your teammates don't communicate, don't follow the objective, or just flat out suck. Even if you play your very best each game, you can still easily lose. Good job getting to Onyx solo though!
What this guy said. You need to understand that not everyone experiences the same situations.
I've seen too many people claiming that they aren't Onyx because they don't have a full fireteam/their team sucks. You can get Onyx pretty easily going solo. I'm Onyx 1765 in arena right now and I've played every match solo without a mic, just tired of all the excuses.
I did it so that means everyone else can!
Yeah not buying it sorry. A well communicated team with skill and knowledge is hard to beat even if they are outskilled. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's highly highly unlikely. With enough time I'd say anyone could grind there way up to that. But why even put yourself at a disavantage.

Side note: onyx is a a pretty broad rank as well. So when you get that champion with no mic and team then it might actually be something.
omarlotrc wrote:
What this guy said. You need to understand that not everyone experiences the same situations.
Given enough iterations you'll win as many games as you lost because:
-Your team mates were awesome and your opponents were bad
-Your team mates were bad and the opponents were awesome

In the same manner that you'll lose as many games as you've won because:
-Someone on your team quit
-Someone on the other team quit.

The only instance that can't win you a game as many times as you've lost is if you only solo, as you can't win solo players because you're part of a well trained team, as you yourself solo.

So yes, we would all pretty much experience the same things if we played more matches.
Its possible solo but its a lot easier with a team. I was onyx 1900 or so in arena ... searched solo and now im at like 1765 cus i lost every game.
Naqser wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:

The only instance that can't win you a game as many times as you've lost is if you only solo, as you can't win solo players because you're part of a well trained team, as you yourself solo.

So yes, we would all pretty much experience the same things if we played more matches.
No. Some people get matched up with teammates of lesser skill more often. It's luck. I was playing SWAT a couple of weeks ago and I would only get matched up against Champions with a team of Platinums.
omarlotrc wrote:
Naqser wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:

No. Some people get matched up with teammates of lesser skill more often. It's luck. I was playing SWAT a couple of weeks ago and I would only get matched up against Champions with a team of Platinums.
So there's a special algorithm in the matchmaking system that is applied to certain players which matches them with players of lesser skill against players of much higher skill?

If it's luck, then it comes down to statistics, and as I said, with enough iterations, you're bound to win as many matches as you lost for the same reasons.
I didn't say that, some people are just bad.

RBaziFX wrote:
Yeah not buying it sorry. A well communicated team with skill and knowledge is hard to beat even if they are outskilled. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's highly highly unlikely. With enough time I'd say anyone could grind there way up to that. But why even put yourself at a disavantage.

Side note: onyx is a a pretty broad rank as well. So when you get that champion with no mic and team then it might actually be something.
I can't do it so nobody else can!

Its possible solo but its a lot easier with a team. I was onyx 1900 or so in arena ... searched solo and now im at like 1765 cus i lost every game.
It's probably a lot easier in a team I agree.

omarlotrc wrote:
If you play enough games your good teammates will cancel out your bad ones, the only constant in every game is yourself and if you are better than the average person you are being matched with you should win more than you lose.
^ This. Halo 5: Guardians is extremely team-based whether you agree or not.
Naqser wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Naqser wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:

So there's a special algorithm in the matchmaking system that is applied to certain players which matches them with players of lesser skill against players of much higher skill?
No, but some people are unlucky enough to have it happen to them. Don't assume that it's all good for everyone else just because it didn't happen to you.
omarlotrc wrote:
Naqser wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
Naqser wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:

No, but some people are unlucky enough to have it happen to them. Don't assume that it's all good for everyone else just because it didn't happen to you.
I'm fairly certain you're familiar with the statistics of throwing a dice, this is basically no different than that.
Using yourself as the main example is the worst example you can give.

There are multiple reasons why people can't get to Onyx, their team being one of them.

RBaziFX wrote:

omarlotrc wrote:
If you play enough games your good teammates will cancel out your bad ones, the only constant in every game is yourself and if you are better than the average person you are being matched with you should win more than you lose.
Exactly, the only constant in every game is yourself. That means the game can be stacked against you by placing you, a solo player, against teams.
Quite the humble brag you've got going there. It's obviously not your first/main account, but that's neither here nor there for me. It's not like your smurfing to wreck Bronzes. I don't have any problem admitting someone is better at the game than me. I'm not Onyx because I'm just not good enough. Anyone who can get to Onyx solo queuing in Team Arena is very good at the game. If you're high Onyx that way you'd have no problem getting Champ with a communicating team of like skilled players.
Edit: I don't mean to stat flame, but are you playing on a smurf account? I've never seen a solo Onyx player in Team Arena who is Spartan rank 39. Your Gamerscore is also on the lower side, but if you are just really good at the game, more power to you.
Quite the humble brag you've got going there. It's obviously not your first/main account, but that's neither here nor there for me. It's not like your smurfing to wreck Bronzes. I don't have any problem admitting someone is better at the game than me. I'm not Onyx because I'm just not good enough. Anyone who can get to Onyx solo queuing in Team Arena is very good at the game. If you're high Onyx that way you'd have no problem getting Champ with a communicating team of like skilled players.
This is my first account, I've been playing on it since preseason you can check.

RBaziFX wrote:

omarlotrc wrote:
Exactly, the only constant in every game is yourself. That means the game can be stacked against you by placing you, a solo player, against teams.
You're not going to face coordinated teams unless you are in or near Onyx. Playing lower tiers if you are good enough you should still rise to the top.
Just how broad are your shoulders?
exactly, anyone can get to onyx if you work hard enough. Even if you are solo, i tried once but got lazy and said screw it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9