Forums / Support / Halo: Spartan Series

Unable to play Assault or Strike in Windows 10

OP Fenris447

I have so far been unable to play the Windows 8/10 store versions of Spartan Assault or Spartan Strike since upgrading to Windows 10. Whenever I click on one, a window flashes then immediately shuts itself down. They worked fine on Windows 8.1. I've attempted to run them as an administrator or in compatibility modes, but Windows 10 is not designed to allow users to do that with app-store apps. Any assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT: I've rebooted, updated my video card drivers, etc. All the easy solutions haven't worked.
Fenris447 wrote:
I have so far been unable to play the Windows 8/10 store versions of Spartan Assault or Spartan Strike since upgrading to Windows 10. Whenever I click on one, a window flashes then immediately shuts itself down. They worked fine on Windows 8.1. I've attempted to run them as an administrator or in compatibility modes, but Windows 10 is not designed to allow users to do that with app-store apps. Any assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT: I've rebooted, updated my video card drivers, etc. All the easy solutions haven't worked.
Hey, there. This is a new issue for me. What I would suggest doing is performing a system refresh.
First, you'll want to back up your PC. A refresh will uninstall all non-Windows Store apps, including Office and anything you installed from a disc or the web. Then, you'll want to search for "refresh" via Cortana. Click "Reset this PC". From here, click "Get Started" under "Reset this PC". Select "Keep my personal files", and follow the instructions from there. Let me know if this works. ;)
That's a bit of a drastic step. Basically resetting my computer, including Office and all my other programs (yay, I can keep my Netflix app). I'll try it eventually, but it's honestly it's a bit crazy to require throwing out the baby with the bathwater. That said, thank you for the suggestion.
Fenris447 wrote:
That's a bit of a drastic step. Basically resetting my computer, including Office and all my other programs (yay, I can keep my Netflix app). I'll try it eventually, but it's honestly it's a bit crazy to require throwing out the baby with the bathwater. That said, thank you for the suggestion.
Hey, no problem. I was looking at the steps that you said you'd taken, and I noticed that uninstalling and reinstalling the apps wasn't listed. Have you tried this yet? I've got 3 PCs running Windows 10 and had a variety of issues when upgrading. For example, I can't play Spartan Strike on one of the PCs because the keyboard isn't recognized. It's really strange, but I've since had to reset it to Windows 7 for a different reason, so I'm now re-upgrading to Windows 10. It's a mess, it seems. :)

Let me know how the uninstall/reinstall works, if you haven't tried it yet. ;)
I definitely tried uninstall/reinstalls. I discovered also that it's not limited to just SS and SA, as Minecraft Windows 10 edition also was doing the same thing: flash a window and close nearly instantly. I just tried a reset of the whole system (which subsequently put me into a reboot loop but that's a whole different can of worms) and eventually had to wipe everything and start with a fresh Windows 10 install. Lo and behold, I'm still getting the same problem. Even though I had already updated my drivers, I'm reinstalling them to see if my video card's have been updated.
I fixed it. Here's the deal: I originally was running Windows 8 Pro N. I got the pack provided for free by Microsoft that was designed to restore functionality that is removed by being an "N" version. When I upgraded to Windows 10 (after 8.1 last year, of course), the functionality was once again removed. Apparently, the things removed are tied into a ton of things, including man Windows app store games and Xbox One streaming. I downloaded the pack found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231 and all my problems seem to have been solved. Hopefully anyone with these same problems will find this post helpful! Thanks for the patience and tries to help me get this figured out, Cizlin.
That's very handy to know, thanks for posting back. I'll keep a note in case I see anyone else with this issue :)
Fenris447 wrote:
I fixed it. Here's the deal: I originally was running Windows 8 Pro N. I got the pack provided for free by Microsoft that was designed to restore functionality that is removed by being an "N" version. When I upgraded to Windows 10 (after 8.1 last year, of course), the functionality was once again removed. Apparently, the things removed are tied into a ton of things, including man Windows app store games and Xbox One streaming. I downloaded the pack found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231 and all my problems seem to have been solved. Hopefully anyone with these same problems will find this post helpful! Thanks for the patience and tries to help me get this figured out, Cizlin.
I'm glad to see that you figured it out! I'll follow this thread so I can use it for future reference. I apologize that I wasn't able to help more, but I am glad to see that you are able to get back in action! See you on the battlefield.
Hi, I was having the same problem but it was resolved thanks to your comment.
Fenris447 wrote:
its actually not that hard... just get a usb, back up all your documents. reset it and reinstall.
I appreciate you sharing the problem and the solution. It permitted me to play Halo: Spartan Assault again.
I tried the solution mentioned but the same keeps happening to me, the game crashes.
Hey I've tried everything one here and it still just crashes upon launch
grr why is it so broke!!!!
The N d/l from MS did not work for me.

Win 10, 64 bit.
I figured out that you have to disable the touchscreen in Windows 10 to make it work. Also,in my opinion, you shouldn't download a windows store release, as the Steam version may work better.
yeah i have the steam version and the lite microsoft version of spartan assault and neither are working. the lite version crashes on startup and my steam one keeps getting the some buffing message then it crashes, they should probs fix this problem.
The issue of it crashing on startup seems to be related to the steam controller for a lot of people. Launching the game with the controller powered off seems to be a successful workaround.

However, I (and others in the Steam discussions) don't seem to have any working input controls of any kind since updating to Windows 10. It's just not working, and nobody seems to have any answers (I did try install the media feature pack mentioned above).
The issue of it crashing on startup seems to be related to the steam controller for a lot of people. Launching the game with the controller powered off seems to be a successful workaround.

However, I (and others in the Steam discussions) don't seem to have any working input controls of any kind since updating to Windows 10. It's just not working, and nobody seems to have any answers (I did try install the media feature pack mentioned above).
The issue with the game crashing on Windows 10 when launching with the Steam Controller enabled can easily be fixed. THE FIX: From Steam edit the "Steam Controller Configuration" for Halo: Spartan Strike then select "BROWSE CONFIGS" (X button). After that select "Templates" then select "Keyboard (WASD) and Mouse" followed by "APPLY CONFIGURATION". You'll need to set the same steam controller configuration for Halo: Spartan Assault as well since it will crash as well when launching. Once done you'll be able to launch both games with the Steam Controller enabled and be able to use the Steam Controller in the game. Note: The right trigger button is used to select items on the menu, not the typical Y/X/A/B buttons. These games will crash when launching if you select any other Steam Controller Configuration Template and have the Steam Controller enabled/on. Microsoft - please fix this since it would only take one of your developers a few minutes/hours to patch this problem.
make sure your time zone and date/time are set correctly. Most importantly unplug any USB controllers or Xbox controllers or the Xbox controller cable even. Plug them in after the game has gotten to the splash screen. I guess the game doesn't load up some drivers for the controller or the controller halts the game from starting when it is plugged in. Hope that helps!