Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

About Regenerating Health In Halo

OP Nightcaster460

I'm wondering, why did Bungie replace health packs with regenerating health in Halo 2? I'm not a huge fan of the modern health system. Love how ODST and Reach brought medkits back. I know there are gamers in the Halo community who love health packs, and i'm one of them. Anyone here like the old-school health system?
BEEP... BEEP... BEEP... BEEP... BEEP...BEEP... BEEP... BEEP... BEEP... BEEP...

Those damn health beeps drove me mad.

Health kits are the pits. Especially since the Halos that had health kits tended to spread health kits everywhere, which made them serve little purpose and function similar to regenerating health.
Health kits are the pits. Especially since the Halos that had health kits tended to spread health kits everywhere, which made them serve little purpose and function similar to regenerating health.
Not really. The fact that you had to go and find a health pack pushed players to move around the map, promoting more dynamic gameplay and discouraging camping. They can also serve a purpose of guiding player movement if placed strategically, since the location of the nearest helath pack can influence where a player will go after winning an encounter.

On a personal level, I'm rather indifferent towards whether health is regenerating or not, but I do like nonregenerating health. It has its own flavor.
I think it also had something to do with evolving trends. Health packs were pretty popular in games from the 90s, but they started to disappear around the time of CE.
To put it simply, to simplify the gameplay further and keep you in the action at all times, rather than having you worry about a bar/number representing your HP.

Halo 2 and Call of Duty 2 were praised for ditching health packs altogether because you could keep fighting and if you play smart, get back in the fight quickly. For the more casual gamer, this helps to make it more accessible to them.

That said, health packs themselves aren’t necessarily a bad thing. Half-Life has a great system where if you’re low on health/ammo and break open a box, it will probably give you enough health/ammo to keep going so for the most part, you are constantly in the fight. Halo CE’s system wasn’t really problematic either but the simplification in Halo 2 does make it somewhat easier (though both Halo CE and Halo 2 are already easy games even on Legendary).

Reach’s implementation I think of as nothing more than a throwback and I don’t really pay attention to it outside of the health packs instantly recharging your shields instead of having to wait for the cooldown. Same with ODST.

Then again, i’ve always preferred the challenge from the good ol days so health packs never bothered me to begin with.
tsassi wrote:
Not really. The fact that you had to go and find a health pack pushed players to move around the map, promoting more dynamic gameplay and discouraging camping. They can also serve a purpose of guiding player movement if placed strategically, since the location of the nearest helath pack can influence where a player will go after winning an encounter.

On a personal level, I'm rather indifferent towards whether health is regenerating or not, but I do like nonregenerating health. It has its own flavor.
I couldn't agree more. Health packs pushed players to move around instead of sticking to one place. It added an intriguing facet to the game: will the player move towards the nearest health pack or take a defensive position to try and protect himself/herself until an opportunity arises to grab health?
tsassi wrote:

That makes sense for multiplayer. I was thinking about campaign when I wrote the comment. The campaign missions seemed to have health kits everywhere. Especially after firefights, when one would be low on health.
Chief's a super soldier. Why the heck would he need something that makes him look weak. A health pack? Used on a Spartan? Pfft.

In seriousness, you can see that Chief gets a new armor in Halo 2 which came with regenerating health. While it's interesting in gameplay, if Halo 2 had non-regenerating health, Legendary would be MUCH worse than now, probably impossible. Only speedrunners, like Monopoly, or insane people, like Eli (talking about the video where he completes Halo 2's campaign in Zero Shot settings in LEGENDARY in under 3 hours... He's an absolute MADMAN).
Chief's a super soldier. Why the heck would he need something that makes him look weak. A health pack? Used on a Spartan? Pfft.
What about Halo Reach's heroes? They're Spartans, yet they need health packs.
I was joking.
I was joking.
Yeah when you said, "in seriousness", I had a thought you were joking.
For me healt packs added an edge to the gameplay.
With full health I'd go all out spraying bullets on the enemies, and with low health I'd aim for the headshots.
I think it taught me how to play on legendary and not spend all the time respawning.
For me healt packs added an edge to the gameplay.
With full health I'd go all out spraying bullets on the enemies, and with low health I'd aim for the headshots.
I think it taught me how to play on legendary and not spend all the time respawning.
:)
The answer is, Health Packs made sense and worked well in games like CE and Reach because those play spaces were designed to incorporate them. Health packs don't really work in the gameplay structure of H2 and H3.
The modern health regen system is the best. I cant be bothered to find some med pack who knows where.
The answer is, Health Packs made sense and worked well in games like CE and Reach because those play spaces were designed to incorporate them. Health packs don't really work in the gameplay structure of H2 and H3.
But that's because Halo 2 and Halo 3 didn't had health packs in mind... ok, maybe Halo 2 (as seen in the beta). If health packs we're a core mechanic like in CE and Reach, Halo 2, 3 and on-ward would probably still have them and most things would likely be designed with them in mind. However, they're not because Chief got a new armor which totally makes sense as to why he doesn't need them anymore.