Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Are the old game overrated

OP Stephenthenubb

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I didn't think Halo 3 was boring. Good games! I just dislike when they turn a great franchise into a money based franchise. What I mean by that is like they have 3 hit games, then they make 10 more, and all those players are spread out through other & newer games that people do not play the old/original (also the best ;) ) ones anymore.
I never get sick of the old Halo games. I don’t play it as much because I usually have no one to play Halo with. The friends I would play Halo with would play other games
I can't tell you how much I raged at Halo 2 on Legendary. As for the old games being overrated, you may need to think back. When these games first came out at launch, they were a HUGE deal. Now looking at it, it may not seem like much to the new generation of gamer's but in my opinion they're missing out A LOT.
It depends om your play style if you play alone its overated but if you play with friends its the greatest game ever
What the heck is this comment even? LOL
It depends om your play style if you play alone its overated but if you play with friends its the greatest game ever
What the heck is this comment even? LOL
He's saying when playing games with friends its a blast. I can agree to that :3
No the older games aren’t overrated in fact the reason they are so loved even to this day is because some of the newer ones were so disappointing and not complete at launch (halo 5) plus the older halo games did more things right in general and you know didn’t really split up the community as there are discussions on stuff like sprint and armor ability’s still going on .
While the original games are good, they are definitely overrated. Going back and playing the original trilogy after playing the new games shows how far Halo games have come.
I never get sick of the old Halo games. I don’t play it as much because I usually have no one to play Halo with. The friends I would play Halo with would play other games
Exactly why I don’t play Halo 3 anymore. The population is dead.
Only Halo 3 is overrated in terms of gameplay. And Halo 5 as well.
Exactly why I don’t play Halo 3 anymore. The population is dead.
The population isn’t dead it’s just low and the only old halo game that I can think of that are still alive is halo reach
While the original games are good, they are definitely overrated. Going back and playing the original trilogy after playing the new games shows how far Halo games have come.
I agree with this.
The classic Halos are good and built Halo up, but they aren’t perfect games. Everyone thinks that they’re original because they said that Halo CE is their favorite but it is the most common opinion.
Nope, the games are not overrated at all. If anything, the newer games are overrated since they don’t compare to the originals at all.
i think halo CE, a game released in 2001 has better AI, audio, level design, weapon design, universe, vehicle design, art direction and dialogue (things that dont age as much) than halo 5..a game released 14 years later, i don't see the 'how far they've come' sentiment.

improved texture and modelling qualities is something that affected all of gaming, same with netcode and machine performance so that isn't unique to halo, when the obvious visual fidelity and connection improvement is not considered i don't see what halo 4 or 5 improved.

compared to 3 or reach 4 and 5 haven't taken a step forward in the multiplayer department
halo 4 was far glitchier on release
had poorly designed additions that didn't work with halos design (personal and global ordnance, loadouts, some movement options, AAs)
weak playlist roster
poor spawns
tonnes of clone weapons
poor spaces for vehicles in BTB
poor vehicles and vehicle mechanics
weak maps
weak dlc maps
poor UI
weak progressional / ranking system
weak custom games
glitchy theatre
less inspired map design
less interesting sound design
overdesign (lighting and texturing effects, chatter)
underdesign (spartan armour, lack of additional features such as dual wield, elites, 4 player theatre, UI options, janky texturing)
poor additional features (spartan ops)...the list goes on

when 1 - reach were released they were a cut above or on par with the competition, not just in population but in design, 4 and 5 haven't really done anything striking, and lose out to other games, they haven't pushed halo forward since 2010, just sideways.

aside from visual fidelity what has markedly improved?
the gunplay hasn't
the map and level design hasn't
AI hasn't
UI hasn't
playlists haven't
armour quality hasn't
vehicles haven't
weapons haven't etc

the only things that i can think of are more quantity (at the expense of quality)
the game hasn't improved, in many cases it's got worse, what it has done is changed, not enough to be considerable, but enough to be different from 'classic'
halo 2, a game released at the end of '04 offered a more 'full' experience than 4 or 5, so did 3 and reach, there were more options and each were more interesting / fun
as much as i used to suck at them i loved them as a kid and i still do coming back and understanding the game better than before getting to truly understand it instead of mindlessly playing as a kid, halo has become a part of me that can't be taken away i refuse to be completely driven away by this franchise even with the state it's in
also they hold up pretty well for their age
Nadesicle wrote:
Nope, the games are not overrated at all. If anything, the newer games are overrated since they don’t compare to the originals at all.
I agree with that, to an extent. I don't think the newer games are "overrated" but they're not like the older games
So is CE, 2, 3 ,ODST. Are they over rated? What are your thoughts? I think CE is repetitive but I love they story. 2 Just down right made me rage at how hard it was. and 3 multi-play campaign for me are all just boring. I do not hate the games I think the people who made them did a great job its just a personal opinion.
I think CE didn't age well and its replay value starts to fall due to missions like assault on the control room being so unreasonably long/needing to be played again but in reverse on a later mission. Otherwise still surprisingly solid.

2 is a nearly perfect campaign experience, especially H2A cinematics, and the legendary experience is a must for every halo die hard fan. There is NOTHING more satisfying than completing H2 on legendary.

3 is overall the best rounded game. The campaign is extremely replayable and the MP experience was the best Halo ever had back in its glory days.

ODST is slightly overrated. It gets a lot of love for being the underdog, but the sad fact of the matter is that it was a dlc sold as a full game. I still love it and it is worth a playthrough or two. It's firefight was the best one for anyone wanting a challenge.

In short, you really missed out if you weren't lucky enough to experience these games in their prime. They aren't in the least bit overrated in that sense. It might feel like that now trying to go back to it and find that spark we all felt upon release, but they're all must plays for any FPS fan.
So is CE, 2, 3 ,ODST. Are they over rated? What are your thoughts? I think CE is repetitive but I love they story. 2 Just down right made me rage at how hard it was. and 3 multi-play campaign for me are all just boring. I do not hate the games I think the people who made them did a great job its just a personal opinion.
I think CE didn't age well and its replay value starts to fall due to missions like assault on the control room being so unreasonably long/needing to be played again but in reverse on a later mission. Otherwise still surprisingly solid.

2 is a nearly perfect campaign experience, especially H2A cinematics, and the legendary experience is a must for every halo die hard fan. There is NOTHING more satisfying than completing H2 on legendary.

3 is overall the best rounded game. The campaign is extremely replayable and the MP experience was the best Halo ever had back in its glory days.

ODST is slightly overrated. It gets a lot of love for being the underdog, but the sad fact of the matter is that it was a dlc sold as a full game. I still love it and it is worth a playthrough or two. It's firefight was the best one for anyone wanting a challenge.

In short, you really missed out if you weren't lucky enough to experience these games in their prime. They aren't in the least bit overrated in that sense. It might feel like that now trying to go back to it and find that spark we all felt upon release, but they're all must plays for any FPS fan.
I was 4 years old when HALO 3 came out.

I was 4 years old when HALO 3 came out.
that partly may be why you think classic halo is overrated, new halo is very incomplete compared to halo 2, 3 & reach online experiences, considering we have moved over 5 years in the future you would think it would be better / more complete.

what other popular shooters are out on the market?
- rainbow six siege
- counter strike
- overwatch
- destiny
- battlefield 1
- cod ww2
quake champions and UT are floundering unfortunately and splatoon 2 doesn't really count

among those games listed i dont see at all how old halo is overrated, it has to be overrated against something, so what game is making halo feel overrated?
or is it moreso just technical issues like graphics, simpler coding and lower resolution models and textures?
if the second sentence is the answer then most likely every game pre-7th generation of consoles / (pre-06 for PC) is overrated
I don't know. People just are always talking about how good the older games are. I just can't find myself to want to play them. I did grow up with BF 2005 as my first FPS game. I think I feel people praise the old games a lot more. Though I saw a video showing how hyped people were back in 07. :P Hard being hyped for a M rated game when you are a 4 year old! I respect the old games. Just feel people praise them as if they were gods.
I don't know. People just are always talking about how good the older games are. I just can't find myself to want to play them. I did grow up with BF 2005 as my first FPS game. I think I feel people praise the old games a lot more. Though I saw a video showing how hyped people were back in 07. :P Hard being hyped for a M rated game when you are a 4 year old! I respect the old games. Just feel people praise them as if they were gods.
there was no online multiplayer on console before halo 2, of all the xbox games that had online multiplayer halo 2 did it best, when compared to PC games it may not of been as mechanically difficult as quake or as graphically good as the best PC games of the time, but it had sheer variety, no other game had such well rounded playlists, no other shooter or even single player game had as tight or well implemented vehicles. It was the only skillful shooter that was accessible to casuals. It was the first competitive game to be televised in the west, the first truly competitive console game and still had more options for gameplay than halo 5 has.

Halo 3 was the first online game as far as i know where you could save clips and watch them without a capture card, a theater mode which is still more robust than anything 343 made. No other online game had a map creation mode built in, PC games relied on community developers, yet again not very accessible to a casual audience.
No other shooter on console had a stronger campaign, than bungie halos even single player only games, tbh i would say only half life tops it ( i still prefer halos)
had one of the first ranking systems for online shooters

now this would be good in itself but halo has done most of these things better than they've been done anywhere else since
they were praised as gods among their peers and rightly so, but even today aside from graphical changes and modelling / texture quality i struggle to find better campaigns, more multiplayer variety, better vehicle play and custom options.
halo was just as good a sandbox game as it was a shooter, most shooters cant get 1 right let alone both.

as someone who was 4 during h3 i also doubt you had much involvement with reach online, well at least when it had a vibrant population in 2011.
halo between 05 - 11 was bustling and packed full of different community endeavours, activity and options for what you wanted to do
even day 1 in MCC you can't get the true blue halo experience..to go into matchmaking and have at least 10 playlists that were packed with people, easy to find full lobbies of random people in custom games, no matter what time or what you chose there was something you could take part in that was fun.
only MW2 and black ops 2 truly reached that level of vibrancy and only for a year each, not 7 continuous.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3