Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Best to Worst Halo Games scored

OP oDjento

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 16
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
1. Halo 3
2. Halo 1
3. Halo 2
4. Halo Wars 2
5. Halo Wars 1
6. Halo 4
7. Halo 5
8. Halo Spartan Strike
9. Halo Spartan Assault
10. Halo: Reach

If you want to know why Reach is so low, you probably weren't on the original forums when the game came out. This game is what started that huge split in the Halo Community at least after awhile I had fun with Halo 4 and 5. Reach, those days were just over just memories of people constantly leaving and quitting and friends giving up on the franchise.
But in terms of how much fun you had with reach would you still put it so low? Causing a divide in the community isn't a bad thing usually, it offers up more talking points. You're just more likely to see the outspoken arseholes once people differ on their opinions of a game.
Nah, the first few weeks of the game not fun. I didn't remotely enjoy the game until the Highlands map. Ironically this is my favorite map in any Halo game because of the scenery in the background of the Highland Mountains being glassed. And no, dividing a community is actually a really big deal. People may crap on Halo 4 because of Multiplayer and crap on Halo 5's story but we can discuss Reach starting that divide. If you want to go even further we can even go to Halo 2's origin.
No, division creates a healthy debate. The community of Battlefield became pretty divided about Battlefield 1 compared to Battlefield 4. People now discuss the aspects that make both great. Yes, some people s**t on one or the other but those people were already arseholes and were always going to take issue with these things. You can still have fun by yourself or with your friends on whichever Halo game you choose, and it is not affected by a bunch of other people whining about a game you love. Take for example the new star wars film, The Last Jedi. Some people hate it. I personally love it (I understand it has flaws but what star wars film doesn't?) but my enjoyment isn't ruined because a bunch of other people hate it.

I do understand where you're coming from, but in terms of how a game plays and how much you enjoy it for all its different aspects it is kind of a void argument to make. If you legitimately don't like the game that is fine, as that is personal preference. Saying it is the worse because not everyone you knew liked it is just a bit ludicrous, I must say.

Therefore as I say this, I must look back at your reply. You first say "the first few weeks of the game not fun", then continue to say you didn't remotely enjoy it until Highlands came out. So which is it, didn't enjoy the first few weeks or not at all (anything about the game) until highlands? Just want clarification, as if it is the latter it means you're saying you didn't enjoy (or maybe even appreciate?) and aspects of Reach until 1 map came out, assuming that you then only continued to play (and enjoy) Reach by repeatedly playing this map over and over.

And yes whilst it may look like I've tried to call you out on how you worded your reply, you're right. But what I'm mainly trying to do is make you question whether you think Reach really is that bad just because of it dividing the community.
Gameplay wise, it felt slow and sluggish I get that we are Spartan IIIs in Mjolnir armor but it just felt awkward to play. Then the early mechanics like Bloom since to work fine for the DMR in concept but man...I hated that some people would spam at close range and still win. Then even though we are beating a dead horse Armor Lock was neded in the Beta when the grenades were nukes that shook the screen, but when the Jetpack Grenade combo got fixed it wasn't really needed. A lot of the maps were close range and the EMP and Grenade shedding were a bit too much. Not to mention it ruined vehicle play for splatters. The only thing I truly liked about Reach gameplay wise was Invasion. I didn't like Invasion Slayer but like Invasion especially Breakpoint. But that's about it. Arena was boring and even though it had the most objective gametypes no one seemed to play them. Forge world wasn't that bad either but man...that lack of colors and effects made it pretty bland. Let's not even get started on the campaign maps being multiplayer maps that was just lazy. People can make fun of H3's map packs but it wasn't that bad.
Okay I see your points, whilst I don't agree with all of them I total understand where you're coming from so can see why you aren't as keen on Reach :) But yeah I think almost everyone loved Invasion at least, really wish they'd bring that back as with the engine nowadays they could make it so cinematic (as long as they don't sacrifice gameplay for visuals). And yeah anyone who voted for Invasion Slayer over regular Invasion, just why? :( I also quite like some of H3's map packs, but also I like (most) of Reach's maps as they work well for the gameplay it provides (but then that depends on whether you like the gameplay or not for if you like the maps right?). Some maps in Reach were an absolute pain I'll give you that for sure, but there were so many that I thought worked amazingly with the armour abilities! :)
I felt like the Map pack that contained Highlands was the best map. I still put hours into it because it was a Halo game and I'll stick to this series until the end. Another thing is I probably expected the game to be like the book which was not a good way to approach it. Reach the game and Reach the book are two totally different stories. Not only that we never got the true final mission. Which was supposed to be one more battle in space.
Oh i remember the scarab rumours! That woul've been cool as long as it didn't feel too on the rails imo!
Halo Reach is one of those Halo games where we will never truly know what Bungie was planning at the time. It seems like they had so many ideas but wanted to keep it simple.
Could it have maybe been because of console limitations? I know that Halo 4 had console limitation problems so maybe Reach too?
Remember they also have to adhere to MS time limits for releases.
Ah yeah true. Wasn't one of the reasons they left to make Destiny was because they didn't like the way Microsoft bossed them about or something? I swear I remember hearing something like this but can't exactly remember, it's been a while.
You know because of you, I may put Reach a little higher on my list. I'm actually starting to miss the game for what it was worth.
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
oDjento wrote:
1. Halo 3
2. Halo 1
3. Halo 2
4. Halo Wars 2
5. Halo Wars 1
6. Halo 4
7. Halo 5
8. Halo Spartan Strike
9. Halo Spartan Assault
10. Halo: Reach

If you want to know why Reach is so low, you probably weren't on the original forums when the game came out. This game is what started that huge split in the Halo Community at least after awhile I had fun with Halo 4 and 5. Reach, those days were just over just memories of people constantly leaving and quitting and friends giving up on the franchise.
But in terms of how much fun you had with reach would you still put it so low? Causing a divide in the community isn't a bad thing usually, it offers up more talking points. You're just more likely to see the outspoken arseholes once people differ on their opinions of a game.
Nah, the first few weeks of the game not fun. I didn't remotely enjoy the game until the Highlands map. Ironically this is my favorite map in any Halo game because of the scenery in the background of the Highland Mountains being glassed. And no, dividing a community is actually a really big deal. People may crap on Halo 4 because of Multiplayer and crap on Halo 5's story but we can discuss Reach starting that divide. If you want to go even further we can even go to Halo 2's origin.
No, division creates a healthy debate. The community of Battlefield became pretty divided about Battlefield 1 compared to Battlefield 4. People now discuss the aspects that make both great. Yes, some people s**t on one or the other but those people were already arseholes and were always going to take issue with these things. You can still have fun by yourself or with your friends on whichever Halo game you choose, and it is not affected by a bunch of other people whining about a game you love. Take for example the new star wars film, The Last Jedi. Some people hate it. I personally love it (I understand it has flaws but what star wars film doesn't?) but my enjoyment isn't ruined because a bunch of other people hate it.

I do understand where you're coming from, but in terms of how a game plays and how much you enjoy it for all its different aspects it is kind of a void argument to make. If you legitimately don't like the game that is fine, as that is personal preference. Saying it is the worse because not everyone you knew liked it is just a bit ludicrous, I must say.

Therefore as I say this, I must look back at your reply. You first say "the first few weeks of the game not fun", then continue to say you didn't remotely enjoy it until Highlands came out. So which is it, didn't enjoy the first few weeks or not at all (anything about the game) until highlands? Just want clarification, as if it is the latter it means you're saying you didn't enjoy (or maybe even appreciate?) and aspects of Reach until 1 map came out, assuming that you then only continued to play (and enjoy) Reach by repeatedly playing this map over and over.

And yes whilst it may look like I've tried to call you out on how you worded your reply, you're right. But what I'm mainly trying to do is make you question whether you think Reach really is that bad just because of it dividing the community.
Gameplay wise, it felt slow and sluggish I get that we are Spartan IIIs in Mjolnir armor but it just felt awkward to play. Then the early mechanics like Bloom since to work fine for the DMR in concept but man...I hated that some people would spam at close range and still win. Then even though we are beating a dead horse Armor Lock was neded in the Beta when the grenades were nukes that shook the screen, but when the Jetpack Grenade combo got fixed it wasn't really needed. A lot of the maps were close range and the EMP and Grenade shedding were a bit too much. Not to mention it ruined vehicle play for splatters. The only thing I truly liked about Reach gameplay wise was Invasion. I didn't like Invasion Slayer but like Invasion especially Breakpoint. But that's about it. Arena was boring and even though it had the most objective gametypes no one seemed to play them. Forge world wasn't that bad either but man...that lack of colors and effects made it pretty bland. Let's not even get started on the campaign maps being multiplayer maps that was just lazy. People can make fun of H3's map packs but it wasn't that bad.
Okay I see your points, whilst I don't agree with all of them I total understand where you're coming from so can see why you aren't as keen on Reach :) But yeah I think almost everyone loved Invasion at least, really wish they'd bring that back as with the engine nowadays they could make it so cinematic (as long as they don't sacrifice gameplay for visuals). And yeah anyone who voted for Invasion Slayer over regular Invasion, just why? :( I also quite like some of H3's map packs, but also I like (most) of Reach's maps as they work well for the gameplay it provides (but then that depends on whether you like the gameplay or not for if you like the maps right?). Some maps in Reach were an absolute pain I'll give you that for sure, but there were so many that I thought worked amazingly with the armour abilities! :)
I felt like the Map pack that contained Highlands was the best map. I still put hours into it because it was a Halo game and I'll stick to this series until the end. Another thing is I probably expected the game to be like the book which was not a good way to approach it. Reach the game and Reach the book are two totally different stories. Not only that we never got the true final mission. Which was supposed to be one more battle in space.
Oh i remember the scarab rumours! That woul've been cool as long as it didn't feel too on the rails imo!
Halo Reach is one of those Halo games where we will never truly know what Bungie was planning at the time. It seems like they had so many ideas but wanted to keep it simple.
Could it have maybe been because of console limitations? I know that Halo 4 had console limitation problems so maybe Reach too?
Remember they also have to adhere to MS time limits for releases.
Ah yeah true. Wasn't one of the reasons they left to make Destiny was because they didn't like the way Microsoft bossed them about or something? I swear I remember hearing something like this but can't exactly remember, it's been a while.
You know because of you, I may put Reach a little higher on my list. I'm actually starting to miss the game for what it was worth.
I'd say give it another bash if you've still got it around. I find it really fun still, only problem I have is if one team gets an advantage at the start of a match (especially on BTB) you can find your whole team just quitting out, which kinda sucks for me as I'm not a quitter so have to see 1v8 games through to the end :( And the playlists aren't very full, BTB and regular slayer you'll find games easy but most other playlists can take a while to find games nowadays!
1)Halo CE
2) Halo 2
3) Halo Reach
4) Halo 3
5) Halo 3 ODST
6) Halo 4
7) Halo 5
*Discounting the wars games, i never played those.
1. Halo 3
2. Halo: CE
3. Halo 2
4. Halo 3: ODST
5. Halo 5
6. Halo: Reach
7. Halo 4
Some of you mentioned in this thread the "Spartan Bundle" is not a Halo subfranchise or somewhat is a fake one. Fair say, but nonetheless I would like you to give your opinion under the question put in THIS thread of the Waypoint [Assault subsection], to try to shed some light on what a proper Halo title in turn should feature. For the note, I am a PC player and as you probably are aware, PC players have very limited access to Halo. This way or the other, hope for some constructive discussion about the Halo.
Multiplayer
What I mean by multiplayer is - How fun it is, how much customization you have, forge awesomeness, Custom game settings, and how many game-modes the game offers
1 Halo 2
2Halo Reach
3Halo 5 (only because of recent updates)
4Halo 3
5Halo 4
6CE
Campaign
1Tied - Halo 2 and CE
2Reach
3 Tied - Halo 3 and 4
4Halo 5

overall fave: Halo 2
Reach. Halo CE. Halo 3. Halo 2. Halo Wars 2. Halo 4. Halo 5. ODST
1. Halo 3
2. Halo Wars
3. Halo Reach
4. Halo CE
5. Halo 2
6. Halo Wars 2
7.Halo 4
8. Gordon Ramsay
1. Halo 3
2. Halo Wars
3. Halo Reach
4. Halo CE
5. Halo 2
6. Halo Wars 2
7.Halo 4
8. Gordon Ramsay
Gordon Ramsay = Halo 5?

If you can display their similarities I would love to hear it. <3
Halo 4 before Halo 5? Hmmmmmm idk about that
Let's just talk about the core Halo experiences:
1) Halo 3 - Without a doubt, my favorite of the franchise. The story was good. The weapon sandbox was amazing, and I've got a whole lot of nostalgia for this particular game
2) Halo CE - Classic. While CE lacks the large number of weapons that 2 and 3 later had, the story is classic, the Flood is scary and the gameplay holds up, even after all these years.
3) Halo 3: ODST - While the gameplay itself was more or less Halo 3 but with an added Health meter that beeps every 10 seconds when you're below 75 percent health, the sheer atmosphere of exploring New Mombasa in the dark with the smooth jazz playing keeps me coming back to ODST.
4) Halo Reach - Bungie's experiment. While it has some questionable design decisions (Armor Lock, mainly), it's still a classic game. The armor customization really carries this game forward, and I'm surprised 343 hasn't gone and taken Reach's armor customization and used it in any of it's Halo games. For Halo, the story was pretty good. I disliked how the canon was a little sidelined for the story though, that got to me. Nonetheless, Reach sits at the top of the mountain that the franchise then tumbled down.
5) Halo 2 - Running through this for Helioskrill is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in a video game. Seriously. I have a strong dislike for Halo 2. It introduced Drone swarms, the story was a little lacking, Arbiter's missions were certainly longer than Chief's, and it definitely has some issues. However. It's classic. The gameplay is there to make me like it, and the game itself isn't too shabby. The sum of its parts certainly makes it better. It was also the last Halo game we got for PC, Forge notwithstanding.
6) Halo 4 - Putting Halo 4 here is a little bit of an odd choice for me. I certainly hate it. The story is trying far too hard to make me care about any of its characters, Palmer is a disgrace to the title of Spartan, the game tried to charge me $60 to finish the story, it introduced Sprint, the vast majority of armor abilities were totally useless, there were needless retcons, and overall, it's a mediocre game. That doesn't mean it's bad, however. This is the last game before 343 went plastic crazy, and it's got good attention to detail. That's pretty much the only thing I can really say about it.
7) Halo 5 - Ah, Halo 5. My favorite punching bag. 343 really tumbled down the chute with this game. I have never seen a worse excuse for a Halo game in all my time as a Halo player. This game is abhorrently awful. The advanced movement mechanics make the game complicated to play. Halo is no longer a "pick up n' play" kind of game. All 343 Arena maps are Esports maps, making them dull and disinteresting. Anyone remember Chill Out, from CE, and how it wasn't even? That's the kind of map I want. All customization options (with few exceptions) are locked behind RNG loot crates, and the chance you have to get a cool helmet is the same chance you have to get absolute rubbish. Warzone, supposedly Halo 5's flagship mode, is a mess. The story is an awful mess, with a misleading marketing campaign. Somehow, this game looks worse than Halo 4, and I have no idea how they managed that. There are no redeeming qualities I can think of, for this horrible, wretched mess.
If 343 is trying to kill the Halo franchise, making Halo 6 like Halo 5 is the way to do it. Absolute rubbish.
Delta5931 wrote:
Let's just talk about the core Halo experiences:
1) Halo 3 - Without a doubt, my favorite of the franchise. The story was good. The weapon sandbox was amazing, and I've got a whole lot of nostalgia for this particular game
2) Halo CE - Classic. While CE lacks the large number of weapons that 2 and 3 later had, the story is classic, the Flood is scary and the gameplay holds up, even after all these years.
3) Halo 3: ODST - While the gameplay itself was more or less Halo 3 but with an added Health meter that beeps every 10 seconds when you're below 75 percent health, the sheer atmosphere of exploring New Mombasa in the dark with the smooth jazz playing keeps me coming back to ODST.
4) Halo Reach - Bungie's experiment. While it has some questionable design decisions (Armor Lock, mainly), it's still a classic game. The armor customization really carries this game forward, and I'm surprised 343 hasn't gone and taken Reach's armor customization and used it in any of it's Halo games. For Halo, the story was pretty good. I disliked how the canon was a little sidelined for the story though, that got to me. Nonetheless, Reach sits at the top of the mountain that the franchise then tumbled down.
5) Halo 2 - Running through this for Helioskrill is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in a video game. Seriously. I have a strong dislike for Halo 2. It introduced Drone swarms, the story was a little lacking, Arbiter's missions were certainly longer than Chief's, and it definitely has some issues. However. It's classic. The gameplay is there to make me like it, and the game itself isn't too shabby. The sum of its parts certainly makes it better. It was also the last Halo game we got for PC, Forge notwithstanding.
6) Halo 4 - Putting Halo 4 here is a little bit of an odd choice for me. I certainly hate it. The story is trying far too hard to make me care about any of its characters, Palmer is a disgrace to the title of Spartan, the game tried to charge me $60 to finish the story, it introduced Sprint, the vast majority of armor abilities were totally useless, there were needless retcons, and overall, it's a mediocre game. That doesn't mean it's bad, however. This is the last game before 343 went plastic crazy, and it's got good attention to detail. That's pretty much the only thing I can really say about it.
7) Halo 5 - Ah, Halo 5. My favorite punching bag. 343 really tumbled down the chute with this game. I have never seen a worse excuse for a Halo game in all my time as a Halo player. This game is abhorrently awful. The advanced movement mechanics make the game complicated to play. Halo is no longer a "pick up n' play" kind of game. All 343 Arena maps are Esports maps, making them dull and disinteresting. Anyone remember Chill Out, from CE, and how it wasn't even? That's the kind of map I want. All customization options (with few exceptions) are locked behind RNG loot crates, and the chance you have to get a cool helmet is the same chance you have to get absolute rubbish. Warzone, supposedly Halo 5's flagship mode, is a mess. The story is an awful mess, with a misleading marketing campaign. Somehow, this game looks worse than Halo 4, and I have no idea how they managed that. There are no redeeming qualities I can think of, for this horrible, wretched mess.
If 343 is trying to kill the Halo franchise, making Halo 6 like Halo 5 is the way to do it. Absolute rubbish.
Good. Gooooood.

Give into your hatred.

Only through your anger and hatred of Halo 5 can you become more powerful that any of Jedi in the Galaxy.
1. Halo 3 - It was a masterpiece, best multiplayer and great campaign. I played this alot when i was a kid and it's the best Halo game ever.

2. Halo 2 - It's an improvement from Halo CE. Great campaign and multiplayer but i disliked the button combos.

3. Halo 5 - A sequal to Halo 4, campaign was the worst but the multiplayer was so awesome and it's better than Halo 4.

4. Halo Reach - A prequel to Halo CE. It was the best campaign in the Halo franchise. I did like the multilayer but loadouts is what i hated and armor lock was so annoying in the multiplayer. Firefight is so good.

5. Halo CE - A classic Halo, started of the Halo series, campaign did turn out good and multiplayer I did like all though, the vehicles should have improved because it's annoying when i die when i touch a moving vehicle and the level designs

6. Halo 3: ODST - A great game but campaign was so short but my favorite was firefight, i used to play firefight so many times.

7. Halo 4 - This Halo was ok but the campaign was good but not as good as the bungie Halo games but the multiplayer is what i disliked because it changed too much and loadouts was way worse than Halo Reach, it can still be fun.
I disagree with....
Quote:
7. Halo 4 - This Halo was ok but the campaign was good but not as good as the bungie Halo games but the multiplayer is what i disliked because it changed too much and loadouts was way worse than Halo Reach, it can still be fun.
the fact that Halo 4 is last. At least separate this list into two categories, multiplayer, and campaign.
1. Halo 2
2. Halo CE
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo ODST
6. Halo Wars
7. Halo 4
I disagree with....
Quote:
7. Halo 4 - This Halo was ok but the campaign was good but not as good as the bungie Halo games but the multiplayer is what i disliked because it changed too much and loadouts was way worse than Halo Reach, it can still be fun.
the fact that Halo 4 is last. At least separate this list into two categories, multiplayer, and campaign.
Can they not take the package as a whole instead of ranking each mode of the game individually? As that is why they probably think Halo 4 is the worst because overall it is the least satisfying.
1. Halo 2
2. Halo CE
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo ODST
6. Halo Wars
7. Halo 4
Not get round to Halo 5?
oDjento wrote:
1. Halo 2
2. Halo CE
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo ODST
6. Halo Wars
7. Halo 4
Not get round to Halo 5?
I don't like the newer ones and I don't have an xbox one.
oDjento wrote:
1. Halo 2
2. Halo CE
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo ODST
6. Halo Wars
7. Halo 4
Not get round to Halo 5?
I don't like the newer ones and I don't have an xbox one.
Ah right sweet, yeah I'm not a big fan of the newer ones either. Everything after Reach hasn't felt satisfying to me, although not played Wars 2!
1) Reach
2) CE (Original)
3)H2
4)H3
5)Halo Wars 1+2
6)H4
7) ODST
8)Halo 5

Been playing Halo since 2001.

I sincerely think and feel H5 is the most disappointing Halo game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. 12
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. ...
  9. 16