Best to Worst Halo Games scored

OP oDjento

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Here's the scoring of what I've played of the main console games. I've never played CE, 2, 5, or Halo Wars 2. (Blasphemy, but I'm getting around to CE and 2.)
1. Halo 3: I thought 3 had the best campaign of what I've played. The multiplayer left a little to be desired though. I'm not exactly a hotshot with an assault rifle and it seems like everyone I play with gets to all the other weapons before me.
2. Halo 4: This comes in a very close second. The campaign for me was a refreshing change from the same Covenant War that's been going on since CE. Too short for my tastes though. I thought 4 had the best multiplayer though. It gives people the ability to start with and hone their strengths. I'm a great shot with a DMR, and being able to start with one is awesome. (Not a popular opinion but I think players should be allowed to play with a weapon and support combo they're good with. Kind of sad Halo 5 removed custom loadouts.) Halo 4 felt like the perfect evolution from Reach, and kind of wish that's the direction 343 had stayed. I'm a bit wary about Halo 5 from what I've heard.
3. Halo 3 ODST and Reach tie for this spot. I really liked both games and can't rank one over the other. I loved ODST's campaign more than Reach's, but Reach was still good and both were a nice change from Master Chief. Reach had a much better Firefight mode and multiplayer, though.
4. Halo Wars: Simply put, if I want to play an RTS I'll play Starcraft. I mean, the story was fine but I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy the gameplay. It felt weird and clunky to play top down RTS on console.
  1. Halo 3
  2. Halo 2
  3. Halo Reach
  4. Halo CE
  5. Halo 4
  6. Halo 3 ODST
  7. Halo 5
I'm not counting Halo Wars 1, Halo Wars 2, Spartan Assault, and Spartan Strike because I haven't played them yet
Not including Halo 5, Spartan Assault and Strike, or the two Wars games.

1. Reach
2. 3/ODST (both are great)
3. CE
4. 2
5. 4

Now honestly out of that entire list, I have to say that 4 was pretty much my least favorite Halo. Just because 2 is ranked lower on the list doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it as much. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. But, the three above I have fond memories of over 2. The thing I didn't like most about 4 was the art style. That might not be a good reason to dislike a video game, but seriously the way 4 looked just put me off. While it may look beautiful I can't help but think it was so much different than Halo should look like. The story was decent at best and the multiplayer was garbage.
Not including Halo 5, Spartan Assault and Strike, or the two Wars games.

1. Reach
2. 3/ODST (both are great)
3. CE
4. 2
5. 4

Now honestly out of that entire list, I have to say that 4 was pretty much my least favorite Halo. Just because 2 is ranked lower on the list doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it as much. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. But, the three above I have fond memories of over 2. The thing I didn't like most about 4 was the art style. That might not be a good reason to dislike a video game, but seriously the way 4 looked just put me off. While it may look beautiful I can't help but think it was so much different than Halo should look like. The story was decent at best and the multiplayer was garbage.
I completely agree with you on the art style, it felt over cartoony and lost it's military sci fi shooter style. You hardly felt like you were a super soldier in part of an army, you were just a weird super human on a new alien planet who suddenly grows emotions without growth. Giving a character depth is fine,as long as you build into it. Halo 4 just put the cards on the table straight away and it felt unsatisfying. It really could've been great. Also look at the cinematography for Reach, it is beautiful. Halo 4 was just fancier looking settings that didn't satisfy because they didn't feel like they had weight to them. Reach's ones did and it felt more grounded and military like because of its found footage aspect along with its un-glamorised viewpoint on war: people get killed unceremoniously all the time, without actually saving the day too sometimes (like Kat and Jorge respectively). Halo 3 was just like an epic space journey, along with those other games and wrapped up an epic sci fi military trilogy beautifully. ODST had a cool and subtle noir aspect to it to make it feel super fresh too. It felt very different from Halo in tone but similar in gameplay, and that made it feel more fresh than Halo 4. Halo 5 I don't even want to get into, I find it hard to enjoy. I can play it but not connect to it like the other games, like even Halo 4 I could connect to a bit but 5? It hurts. Multiplayer isn't the woooorst, but sadly the campaign was disgustingly bad. I heard it had development problems in the studio, so I hope things go easier for 6 :)
I feel like I should make three lists for this. For me, it will be split between Campaign, Multiplayer, and Overall Ranking.

Campaign:
  1. Halo: Reach
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 4
  4. Halo 3: ODST
  5. Halo Wars
  6. Halo 5: Guardians
  7. Halo Wars 2
  8. Halo 2
  9. Halo: CE
  10. Halo: Spartan Strike
  11. Halo: Spartan Assault
Multiplayer:
  1. Halo 5: Guardians
  2. Halo: Reach
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo Wars 2
  6. Halo Wars
  7. Halo 3: ODST (Firefight)
  8. Halo: CE (For lack of Xbox Live Connectivity)
  9. Spartan Assault/ Spartan Strike (For Lack of Multiplayer)
  10. Spartan Assault/ Spartan Strike (For Lack of Multiplayer)
Overall:
  1. Halo Reach
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 5: Guardians
  4. Halo Wars
  5. Halo 2
  6. Halo: CE
  7. Halo Wars
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Spartan Strike
  10. Spartan Assault
oDjento wrote:
1.) Halo 2
2.) Halo CE
3.) Halo 3
4.) Halo 4
5.) Halo Reach
6.) Halo Wars
7.) Halo Wars 2
8.) Halo 5

These are the only games I'm going to do. I'm going to include Halo 3 ODST with Halo 3.
VexHax wrote:
Halo 3
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 4
Halo Reach
Halo 5
Thats just ranking the FPS games
Just curious but how come you's like Halo 4 more than Reach? Not saying you two are wrong to, just interested in why, as I've noticed a lot of people rating Halo Reach quite low whilst it's actually my favourite! :)
Same here! I love Reach's campaign. Its just so dang good!
I feel like I should make three lists for this. For me, it will be split between Campaign, Multiplayer, and Overall Ranking.

Campaign:
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 4
  5. Halo Wars
  7. Halo Wars 2
  8. Halo 2
Multiplayer:
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo Wars 2
  6. Halo Wars
Overall:
  1. Halo Reach
  2. Halo 3
  4. Halo Wars
  5. Halo 2
  7. Halo Wars
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Spartan Strike
  10. Spartan Assault
Not to be mean or anything, but why would you rank the Halo 5 campaign over Halo 2 and CE campaign. That's pretty dumb in my opinion.

Campaign:
  2. Halo 3
  3. Halo 4
  5. Halo Wars
  7. Halo Wars 2
  8. Halo 2
Multiplayer:
  3. Halo 3
  4. Halo 2
  5. Halo Wars 2
  6. Halo Wars
Overall:
  1. Halo Reach
  2. Halo 3
  4. Halo Wars
  5. Halo 2
  7. Halo Wars
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Spartan Strike
  10. Spartan Assault
Not to be mean or anything, but why would you rank the Halo 5 campaign over Halo 2 and CE campaign. That's pretty dumb in my opinion.
Because it is an amalgamation of excellent ideas that didn't quite pan out as it should have. I ranked Halo 2 and Halo: CE's campaigns objectively, minus any nostalgia that came with them. Halo 2 ended abruptly and had one of the most agrivating cliffhangers in any modern video game that I can think of and Halo: CE's plot holes and lackluster storyline is what does it in. It's not to say that Halo 5's is the best, as Im sure you can see its number 6 on my list, but it does things well. Thankfully and respectfully, I am entitled to my own opinion. Thanks though.
1. Halo 2
2. Halo CE
3. Halo 3
4. Halo: Reach
5. Halo 5
6. Halo 4
7. Halo Wars
etc...
1)halo 2
2)halo 4
3)halo 5
4)halo reach
5)halo 3
1)halo 2
2)halo 4
3)halo 5
4)halo reach
5)halo 3
Halo 5 above Reach aaanndd 3?
oDjento wrote:
1)halo 2
2)halo 4
3)halo 5
4)halo reach
5)halo 3
More than that, I'm surprised Halo 3 came in last, period. Lol.
daem231 wrote:
oDjento wrote:
1)halo 2
2)halo 4
3)halo 5
4)halo reach
5)halo 3
Was more saying it like that because I prefer Reach over 3 (only just) but I do understand most other people prefer 3 over Reach for varying reasons :)
1) Halo 3
2) Halo 2
3) Halo 3: ODST
4) Halo CE
5) Halo Reach
6) Halo 4
7) Halo 5

Like other people have said I don't count Halo Spartan Assault or Halo Wars games because I haven't played them. Halo 3 was the best game I have ever played and still remains my favorite of all time. Halo 2 and Halo 3 ODST are right there neck and neck with each other. I really like CE's gameplay but it isn't really diverse in weapons (or probably I just miss the BR lol). Reach was weird for me because the campaign was just okay to me and I didn't enjoy the multiplayer that much as I hated armor abilities and no BR (I know, again) and I just didn't like the DMR that much. Halo 4's gameplay was okay to me but I HATE Prometheans and I didn't really like the storyline that much, but, with that it just means I don't like Halo 5 even more. I thought the gameplay was smoother that Halo 4's and maybe even more fun but the story was ATROCIOUS. Cortana as the enemy? Really? I get them trying something different but I just think it was very poorly executed.
daem231 wrote:
oDjento wrote:
1)halo 2
2)halo 4
3)halo 5
4)halo reach
5)halo 3
I know right? It isn't everyday you see Halo 3 ranked at the bottom lol
dryrain23 wrote:
1) Halo 3
2) Halo 2
3) Halo 3: ODST
4) Halo CE
5) Halo Reach
6) Halo 4
7) Halo 5

Like other people have said I don't count Halo Spartan Assault or Halo Wars games because I haven't played them. Halo 3 was the best game I have ever played and still remains my favorite of all time. Halo 2 and Halo 3 ODST are right there neck and neck with each other. I really like CE's gameplay but it isn't really diverse in weapons (or probably I just miss the BR lol). Reach was weird for me because the campaign was just okay to me and I didn't enjoy the multiplayer that much as I hated armor abilities and no BR (I know, again) and I just didn't like the DMR that much. Halo 4's gameplay was okay to me but I HATE Prometheans and I didn't really like the storyline that much, but, with that it just means I don't like Halo 5 even more. I thought the gameplay was smoother that Halo 4's and maybe even more fun but the story was ATROCIOUS. Cortana as the enemy? Really? I get them trying something different but I just think it was very poorly executed.
I feel like Reach's campaign is misunderstood by most people because of what came before in the franchise. Halo 3 (and its trilogy) was such an epic story of discovery and being the super soldier to take down the enemy single-handedly, and glamorised the war scenario to a certain extent albeit the deaths the game came with.
Halo Reach was more a depressing struggle of a fight to the death to do what you could against a gargantuan and unstoppable enemy. Facing death head on knowing that your heroics won't get mentioned in history, you will be lost to the planet and forgotten, despite all your efforts. The deaths in the game are unceremonious and sometimes plain unexpected, and ironic to show the bitter side of war. Jorge even dies thinking he's saved Reach with his sacrifice, but seconds after his death a dozen more covenant ships come into orbit. It's sad and gritty, not at all what the franchise was like before. The characters are there to the bitter end, and die in bitter and ironic ways;
Jorge, heavy weapons expert - dies in a massive explosion.
Kat, brains of the group - shot through the head
Jun, stealth expert - escapes and sneaks off planet with Halsey (not a death but his exit from the game is still ironic)
Emile, close quarters expert - dies in close quarter combat
Noble 6, known as a lone wolf when joins the team - dies alone.
It's a sad story and one that ends on a bittersweet note. I believe it was beautifully crafted but I feel some people didn't like it because they didn't end with a feeling of "I AM EPIC I STOPPED THE COVENANT", they left with a feeling that war is harsh and unforgiving, and that the efforts of many a soldier will be forgotten.

I don't think anyone expected Halo to get so melancholic.

For multiplayer however fair enough. I personally really enjoyed it and thought it was fresh but still felt very much like Halo, but I understand a lot of people had problems with spartan abilities (armour lock the main target). I don't think loadouts was a viable complaint until Halo 4 though, as the loadouts were usually just for picking an ability instead of a weapon, and were not customisable other than in custom games.

Then again that is my personally opinion, and if someone else doesn't agree with me then fair enough, just thought I'd way in my opinion :)
VexHax wrote:
Halo 3
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 4
Halo Reach
Halo 5
Thats just ranking the FPS games
Halo 4 better than Reach?! your sleep......
  1. Halo 3
  3. Halo 3: ODST
  4. Halo 5
  5. Halo Wars
  6. Halo 2
  7. Halo: CE
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Halo 4
I love all halo games except halo 4 so just because the classics are lower doesn't mean i didn't like them :D
Campaigns imo
Halo 3
Halo reach
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 5
Halo 4
Halo odst
Halo wars

havent played spartan assault and halo wars 2
  1. Halo 3
  3. Halo 3: ODST
  4. Halo 5
  5. Halo Wars
  6. Halo 2
  7. Halo: CE
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Halo 4
I love all halo games except halo 4 so just because the classics are lower doesn't mean i didn't like them :D
Why Halo 5 over 2 and CE? Just curious? :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4