Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Can't Load Halo 2 On Xbox 360

OP CarsickAwesome7

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Whenever i put Halo 2 in my 360 it says the game couldn't start try downloading the game again. I just got this game recently and I do have a HDD so what do I do?
Is your game disk scratched up? You should be able to just put in the Halo 2 disk and play. No downloading or anything like that is required
Do what TheLegendary117 said. Alternatively, empty your 360 HDD's cache just in case the BC profile is corrupt.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-360/How_to_Clear_the_Xbox_360_System_Cache
It has no scratches and does emptying the HDD cache have any side effects
No negative effects.
No negative side effects. All it does is basically refresh the HDD. You keep all your save data and installed games but some things such as updates may need to be downloaded again.

Since Xbox 360 backwards compatibility is achieved via downloading a 'BC profile' for every single game (unlike Xbox One's, which has a broad emulator), then if the BC profile is corrupt, emptying the cache will allow you to download a fresh 'BC profile', which could fix the issue if somewhere along the line it became corrupt.

As mentioned by TheLegendary117, you should also check your disc as this could also be an issue if your Xbox 360 is not reading it properly. It was a common occurrence, sometimes the game would say things like 'To play this disc, please put it in an Xbox 360 console', so it is possible if the disc is scratched that the console isn't recognising it correctly. Since you say the disc is fine, do you have any other BC titles you could try? Does it read Xbox 360 games ok?

Either way, I believe one of the two solutions will fix your problem.
No negative side effects. All it does is basically refresh the HDD. You keep all your save data and installed games but some things such as updates may need to be downloaded again.

Since Xbox 360 backwards compatibility is achieved via downloading a 'BC profile' for every single game (unlike Xbox One's, which has a broad emulator), then if the BC profile is corrupt, emptying the cache will allow you to download a fresh 'BC profile', which could fix the issue if somewhere along the line it became corrupt.

As mentioned by TheLegendary117, you should also check your disc as this could also be an issue if your Xbox 360 is not reading it properly. It was a common occurrence, sometimes the game would say things like 'To play this disc, please put it in an Xbox 360 console', so it is possible if the disc is scratched that the console isn't recognising it correctly. Since you say the disc is fine, do you have any other BC titles you could try? Does it read Xbox 360 games ok?

Either way, I believe one of the two solutions will fix your problem.
Sometimes the disk tray will have a hard time reading disks. If the disk is fine, used a can of compressed air and try to clean out your disk tray a bit. Just open your disk tray and use the can of compressed air to try and spray some of the dirt and dust out of the drive. That might work as well
It reads 360 games okay and it just repeats the same message so I'm gonna try the clear the cache option
How do I download a BC Profile and can I make my main profile BC
What do you mean by a BC Profile?
It’s just an update. When you start Halo 2, it should prompt for an update. Download that and it should work.

Check to ensure you are using an official Xbox 360 hard drive and not a third party offering.

Failing that, a factory reset may work but that should only be a last resort (this will erase save data and profiles so do NOT do this unless everything is backed up).

I need to stress that the factory reset should be an absolute last resort and you must make sure you have backed up profiles and save data. A factory reset will reset the Xbox 360 to how it was when you first bought it (as if it was new so to speak).

Otherwise, I am not sure what else to suggest that you could try on your end as that is likely all the troubleshooting you could do yourself.
Halo 2 doesn't prompt for an update even after I cleared the cache of the HDD
Halo 2 doesn't prompt for an update even after I cleared the cache of the HDD
Its hit or miss. It usually pops up when you least suspect it
I think your disk might be scratchy, had issues with mine a few days ago, but I used my CD cleaner and it works well now.
buzzsaw135 wrote:
I think your disk might be scratchy, had issues with mine a few days ago, but I used my CD cleaner and it works well now.
My Halo 2 disc has no scratches while my Halo Reach disk has tons of scratches and Halo Reach works fine so I don't think scratches are the problem
buzzsaw135 wrote:
My Halo 2 disc has no scratches while my Halo Reach disk has tons of scratches and Halo Reach works fine so I don't think scratches are the problem
It depends on the severity of the scratches. Everyone is going to have a different experience
I cleaned my disk same message
I cleaned my disk same message
Did you try any of the other ideas that were mentioned above? Cleaning out the disk tray? Using a compressed air can to try and get any dirty/grime out of the disk tray entry? Anything like that?
Are you using an official Xbox 360 Hard Drive or a third party solution?
Hi, I have the same problem as CarsickAwesome7... However, I have everything I need !
-HDD (250GB) on my xbox 360 (fat)
-Last updates
-no scratches on the disc
-I even deleted my system cache.
This should work !!!
I really wanted to play Halo 2, I'm desperate... Help me please !
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2