Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

[Locked] Combat evolved shotgun

OP EPiiCxTRiipzz

does anyone else miss it cause i do. everytime i pick up a shotgun in any other halo i hate it. i miss that you were able to hit enemies from mid range with it. the new shotguns have range that is horrible.
You know its a shotgun right? Shotgun are only useful from close range in any and all games and most importantly in real life
Was a great gun was great with the flood.
I also enjoyed the shotgun and I'm pretty sure that shotguns in real life have a surprising range. Today modern military shotguns are lethal up to about 200 yards. Now i would think that 500 years from now the range would improve a bit. Of course when compared to real life all of the halo weapons have a much smaller range than their real life counter part. Thus I estimate that when proportioned the shotgun should have about the same range as the assault rifle.
You mean that 1sk assault rifle? NOPE.

In all seriousness, the range of that gun was just insane. Not only did its range allow you to kill people with one shot from so far away, the bullet spread also allowed it to hit an enemy anywhere on your screen. I don't really want it back. My favorite shotgun is the Halo 3 shotgun.
CE:

-anti-Flood
-anti-infantry
-anti-vehicle (Ghost, Banshee)
-lots of suicidal moments where I come out on top thanks to it

I typically wield it with the AR, plasma pistol, needler, or plasma rifle. Hell it works with any weapon. It's just that good.

Of course, it's accuracy is exaggerated. It is not that godly. It's better for it's stopping power.

H2: I only use it when I want to scare myself when fighting Flood. Normally I'd hate being given a crap weapon when fighting against a bunch of OP enemies but H2 is where it can be fun.

H3: I only use it for ambushing Brutes.

I give it to allies when I want them to suck, stop stealing my kills with another weapon, or just stop shooting at the enemy. It's really synonymous.

Reach: I never use it. I give it to allies for the same reasons I do in H3.
Quote:
You know its a shotgun right? Shotgun are only useful from close range in any and all games and most importantly in real life
On the contrary, shotguns have a fairly effective range. The only reason why the shotgun was dumbed down in later games was because of a larger sandbox, and ultimately they already had a short-medium range weapon, and turned it into a short range weapon.
I'm going to miss that shotgun for the use of killing flood, it was a lifesaver.
I enjoyed the range the shotgun had back in Halo CE, but as the sandbox expanded, the shotgun's range would dominate the sandbox. I liked back then but only in Halo CE, would'nt be fair if it was put into any other Halo Game besides CE.
Quote:
You have never shot a shotgun have you?

Go 50 paces and let me unload my AA12 at you. See if your ok
Quote:
you have never shot any shotguns before have you? because if you did you would know that most games shotguns aren't realistic in terms so their range...
Quote:
Quote:
you have never shot any shotguns before have you? because if you did you would know that most games shotguns aren't realistic in terms so their range...
Yea, what he said. Seriously, real shotguns are pretty accurate. At about 20' I put a 10" hole in a piece of metal, whereas in Reach, 20' meant you would be lucky to hit at all. I do miss the CE shotty tho.
Quote:
I do not remember the original, but in MCC, the shotgun is completely worthless. I get wrecked at any range with it. I might be missing something
smileyken wrote:
It's an all around great gun, it's just overshadowed by the incredibly potent Magnum
Pyxel8 wrote:
Not true. Not true at all, both for Real Life AND for Video Games. Real life shotguns actually do have range beyond close quarters. Plus, Shotguns can use more than one type of ammunition, ranging from solid slugs to bean-bag rounds to pellets (shots), and so forth, all of which can vary in their effective distance. You also have to take into account the length of the barrel as well.

In terms of video game shotguns, you have clearly never played the original DOOM, which also had quite the range to it. Basically, the HCE shotgun and the original DOOM shotgun are perhaps the most realistic and awesome shotguns ever seen in video games.
I do not remember the original, but in MCC, the shotgun is completely worthless. I get wrecked at any range with it. I might be missing something
This thread is from 2012 so I'm sure it will get locked. Be sure to check the post date if you are replying to a thread you found with the search bar. As a response to your statement, the mcc shotgun is inconsistent for me, but honestly most of Halo's shotguns are that way online
Not going to ask how you found this, but in future please take care to notice the last post date of a thread before responding. Don't revive 6 year old topics thanks