Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Differing types of Flood transform speeds

OP WhiteWolfPanda

In Halo CE, players do not see how quickly the Flood can transform an enemy or ally into Flood-form. In Halo 3, the Flood rapidly transforms other characters upon in infection. In the game mode "Infection" itself, players see the Flood immediately transform hosts.

Is it arguable that the Flood has a growth speed that limits its transformation-potency (i.e., latent Flood infections lack essential components for immediate transformation speeds--such as missing a core Gravemind-creature; therefore, effectively limiting how quickly the Flood manifests in hosts)?

Is it arguable that such changes appeared in H2 and in CE? If so, what was the delay?

Was it simply a dev error--something that wasn't critically thought over or placed into the narrative due to time constraints on game development?

Was it truly something that was considered by the dev team and story creators--factoring in the greater scope of the Flood threat? For example, bacteria can become more potent over time, evolving into deadly strains that modern antibiotics cannot destroy. Is it arguable that the Flood, at one point in time, was so incredibly developed that the Forerunners had no choice but to use the Halo array? Was the Flood so invincible and unstoppable that previous game installments in the Halo universe do not even brief the circumference of the parasite's threat--and, arguably, the Flood's galactic kingship/universal conquest?
If I understand your post correctly, the transformation animation seen in H3 wasn’t included in CE and H2 because of technological restrictions. My guess is the animation took up way too many resources on the Xbox, which were better used for other things.

As for Infection, instant transformation is just a gameplay mechanic.
I can address a few things here:
  1. In Halo 3 the flood to marine / elite / brute infection times are probably the canon version as infection forms are made to infect very quick. As for infection, the game-type, as with 343's new lore I believe all Halo multiplayer (old and new) are just war-game simulations so when an "infected spartan" kills you it is just switching teams to simulate becoming outnumbered by flood as they take more hosts.
  2. I don't know about things affecting the flood's physical infection speed. Pre-gravemind they just eat / infect anything they can as quick as they can so I don't think adding a gravemind would increase the physical infection speed of each flood person / thing / host , though with intelligence the speed at which the infection can spread increases as the flood can then plan, use tech and ambush.
  3. Halo 1 and 2 simply don't have an infection animation like Halo 3. In Halo 1 the flood take over the facility and surrounding swamp in a few hours and are all over Insatllation 04 in a few days. In Halo 2 the flood are already established on Installation 05 when the UNSC and Covenant arrive but they take over High Charity really fast. So Halo 1 was a primitive flood while Halo 2 was an intelligent flood (they had a gravemind somehow, maybe by eating birds and space squirrels on the ring since they can't eat sentinels?).
  4. The animation for infection was too much for the first two games but the devs clearly though the whole infection thing through since halo 1 talks about it and Halo 2 has character seen pre and post infection (Prophet of Regret mainly). Halo 1's engine probably couldn't handle a detailed animation for elite and human infection and Halo 2 was too rushed to even fix Guilty Sparks light problem (though no-one noticed but the developers) so another complex animation was out of the question (though they did add a combat-form revival animation).
  5. Spoiler:
    Show