Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Do you think we'll ever see an update on HCEA?

OP iiBloxorz

HCEA was a decent, but rushed effort by 343. With models only roughly fitting onto their skeletons, ripped models from Halo 3 and Reach, and a multiplayer that was literally just a Reach DLC, do you guys think that we could see another reboot of CE, but more up to par with the likes of H2A?

It would be cool to see CE and 3 remastered up to H2A's standards and released as a triple pack for the 20th anniversary, with 100% of the original multiplayer maps remastered and online multiplayer more faithful to their respective originals.
Considering the fact that HCEA is made using the engine from Halo Custom Edition, they could do all sorts of things when remastering it. I would love to see what you're suggesting, but with some added extras, like maybe more accuracy for the Assault Rifle, a slightly powered-down Pistol, and the addition of maybe... I dunno, the DMR or the Battle Rifle and the SMG to balance it out, along with the Covenant Carbine or the Needle Rifle and maybe the Focus Rifle or Beam rifle to help keep things interesting on the enemy side as well, along with maybe some new enemies like Brutes and Skirmishers, and Jackal snipers (Reach or H3 era type, of course) and Engineers (which were planned for Combat Evolved anyway but ended up being cut), as well as new vehicles like the Mongoose and the Gauss Warthog and even the Falcon, all of which were featured on the colony of Reach when it was attacked and thus should have been stored inside the Pillar of Autumn since it was docked there. But most importantly, I would love to see them adding the ability to swap weapons with Marines, hijack vehicles, and even use that visor zoom that was introduced in Halo 2.

Of course, it's highly unlikely that this will ever happen, so... I'll just have to play SPV3 for that feeling instead, even though it lacks the visor zoom and weapon swapping mechanics that made me forgive Halo 2 and fall in love with Halo 3.

Oh yeah, a remastered Halo 3 would be nice as well, I guess. I actually think it still looks pretty nice for its age, all things considered.

But yeah... it's unlikely any of the stuff I just mentioned will ever happen, but a fan can dream. A fan can dream.
A fan can certainly dream. I don't see it happening. It's unheard of that 343 came back to work/patch MCC. Companies don't revisit a game to fix things, years after it's release. It's pretty amazing that 343 patched MCC. I wouldn't take that as a sign that they'll continue to go back and work on older games though
To this day I still do not understand why we never got a multiplayer experience that matched the single player remastered of 2011's H1 Anniversary campaign.
iiBloxorz wrote:
HCEA was a decent, but rushed effort by 343. With models only roughly fitting onto their skeletons, ripped models from Halo 3 and Reach, and a multiplayer that was literally just a Reach DLC, do you guys think that we could see another reboot of CE, but more up to par with the likes of H2A?

It would be cool to see CE and 3 remastered up to H2A's standards and released as a triple pack for the 20th anniversary, with 100% of the original multiplayer maps remastered and online multiplayer more faithful to their respective originals.
I don't think they will do anything to the retail HCEA 360 release. That game's life has sailed. Closest we'll get to that is updates to MCC.

As far as a new anniversary edition? Anything is possible I suppose, but again with MCC being worked on, 343's $$$ is going there right now.

They'd want to leave things until that games life cycle is good and dead before even thinking about another remaster.
Honestly, probably nothing until the next gen after x1. Or possibly even 2 systems away.

In terms of reviving 'old halo multiplayer as originally released' its just not feasible. The fan base isn't as big as it used to be, and the population wouldn't be there to support a remake. IMO, our best bet is to hope that new Halo games live up to their potential, build momentum over say the next 2 releases, and then maybe they could look at some kind of tribute to the oldies with full classic MP (as mentioned above - 2 systems away).
AshamanND wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:

I don't think they will do anything to the retail HCEA 360 release. That game's life has sailed. Closest we'll get to that is updates to MCC.

As far as a new anniversary edition? Anything is possible I suppose, but again with MCC being worked on, 343's $$$ is going there right now.
Yeah what I meant was a whole new remaster, with CE, 2, and 3 all remastered up to par with H2A campaign. It's my pipe dream to have all the campaigns and multiplayers remastered with original HUDs, all maps per respective game (two things H2A multiplayer greatly lacked), Spartan and Elite models that reflect their original counterpart (H2A campaign did a great job with this), a handful of playlists that reflect their original counterpart, with support that irons out bugs with the quickness instead of waiting years for it. I would've rather had this than MCC honestly. One can dream...
iiBloxorz wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:

Yeah what I meant was a whole new remaster, with CE, 2, and 3 all remastered up to par with H2A campaign. It's my pipe dream to have all the campaigns and multiplayers remastered with original HUDs, all maps per respective game (two things H2A multiplayer greatly lacked), Spartan and Elite models that reflect their original counterpart (H2A campaign did a great job with this), a handful of playlists that reflect their original counterpart, with support that irons out bugs with the quickness instead of waiting years for it. I would've rather had this than MCC honestly. One can dream...
So do you mean individual releases of remasters?
Or like an MCC 2...?
Considering the fact that HCEA is made using the engine from Halo Custom Edition, they could do all sorts of things when remastering it. I would love to see what you're suggesting, but with some added extras, like maybe more accuracy for the Assault Rifle, a slightly powered-down Pistol, and the addition of maybe... I dunno, the DMR or the Battle Rifle and the SMG to balance it out, along with the Covenant Carbine or the Needle Rifle and maybe the Focus Rifle or Beam rifle to help keep things interesting on the enemy side as well, along with maybe some new enemies like Brutes and Skirmishers, and Jackal snipers (Reach or H3 era type, of course) and Engineers (which were planned for Combat Evolved anyway but ended up being cut), as well as new vehicles like the Mongoose and the Gauss Warthog and even the Falcon, all of which were featured on the colony of Reach when it was attacked and thus should have been stored inside the Pillar of Autumn since it was docked there. But most importantly, I would love to see them adding the ability to swap weapons with Marines, hijack vehicles, and even use that visor zoom that was introduced in Halo 2.
Why are people so obsessive with making CE anything other than CE? SPV3 is a mess and some sections were made easier or harder due to the new additions. You got that, so play it. In vanilla CE, I can get a good, sometimes easy game on Legendary, yet I struggle on HEROIC in SPV3. CE's sandbox, ideas and balance are perfect.Stop trying to alienate CE.
AshamanND wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:
AshamanND wrote:
iiBloxorz wrote:

So do you mean individual releases of remasters?
Or like an MCC 2...?
Whatever 343 would want to do if we got it.
It would need to be fully re-done as in crazy detail updated visuals to match cannon(H2,3 style) I hated the copy paste technique they did. Also i want blur cutscenes.