Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Does anyone else play the original copy of Halo CE

OP Numerous Normal

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm not talking about the MCC or even Halo Anniversary. I'm strictly speaking about the 2001 release Halo: Combat Evolved. I play it often and I was wondering if I was a lone wolf. I know that lot's of people do speedruns of it, but I was wondering if anyone played it recreationally.
I have the game in a "classic" box (the white and green one, it's a lot like normal X360 boxes) , if it's not for coop, I use that one instead since I almost never use the 'Anniversary' layer on CEA and that game is made for a wide screen, the monitor I use isn't.
I still own my Og Xbox game cover and disc along with my H2 Limited edition game, but since I don’t own a Og Xbox anymore I just have them sitting on my desk
Unfortunately, I only joined the Xbox brand around 2013, ironically, with Halo CEA. However, during a period when I couldn't play CEA because the dvd was scratched (I "fixed" it by using that toothpaste method thing. Surprisingly, it WORKED, then I was able to install it), so i bought the original, backwards compatible version. It was a nice feeling, but it felt... weird. Some things I took note is that I HATE the Sniper sound and handling and it has quite frequent FPS drops, mostly in the Maw. Wow.
I personally don't, but it's still quite a popular version of the game especially amongst speedrunners.
I'm not talking about the MCC or even Halo Anniversary. I'm strictly speaking about the 2001 release Halo: Combat Evolved. I play it often and I was wondering if I was a lone wolf. I know that lot's of people do speedruns of it, but I was wondering if anyone played it recreationally.
Not yet as I no longer own an original Xbox (not that I'm proud to admit that) and I need a hard drive for my Xbox 360, but I do have a copy on my shelf that's waiting to be played.
Unfortunately, I only joined the Xbox brand around 2013, ironically, with Halo CEA. However, during a period when I couldn't play CEA because the dvd was scratched (I "fixed" it by using that toothpaste method thing. Surprisingly, it WORKED, then I was able to install it), so i bought the original, backwards compatible version. It was a nice feeling, but it felt... weird. Some things I took note is that I HATE the Sniper sound and handling and it has quite frequent FPS drops, mostly in the Maw. Wow.
According to Digital Foundry, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary's frame rate is actually slightly worse than the original game.

While the frame rate drops in all of the same places, the drop is much harder on Anniversary.
According to Digital Foundry, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary's frame rate is actually slightly worse than the original game.

While the frame rate drops in all of the same places, the drop is much harder on Anniversary.
That's strange. I barely suffer from frame drops in Anniversary, but always have them in classic.
I still play it once in awhile. I still have my OG Xbox and if I play CE or Halo 2 I prefer to play them on the system they were released on. Sometimes I even go further and hook it up to one of those old CRT tv’s so it’s like 2001-2004 all over again.
I still own my OG Xbox copy but my OG Xbox is not plugged in. My go-to version of Halo CE is the PC version at the moment. It's installed, has online multiplayer and I can launch it whenever I want to play some Halo.

If the OG Xbox version becomes BC, i'll probably end up using my OG Xbox version a lot more.
I still have my original Halo CE copy and I still play it every now and then. I’m trying to use a Xlink Kai since I heard that you can technically play online when using that. But I mostly play the PC version of CE since that’s where there’s a bunch of fun mods and where most of the CE community is at. I don’t care what anyone says, CE is my first and will always be my favorite Halo of all time.
I still have my original Halo CE copy and I still play it every now and then. I’m trying to use a Xlink Kai since I heard that you can technically play online when using that. But I mostly play the PC version of CE since that’s where there’s a bunch of fun mods and where most of the CE community is at. I don’t care what anyone says, CE is my first and will always be my favorite Halo of all time.
While I don't speak for everyone, I've never been able to find a game on Xlink Kai for either of the Halo games on the Xbox.
While I don't speak for everyone, I've never been able to find a game on Xlink Kai for either of the Halo games on the Xbox.
That blows. Well thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll stick to the PC version for online then but maybe one day I can try to gather as much people who are willing to play the OG Xbox version.
That blows. Well thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll stick to the PC version for online then but maybe one day I can try to gather as much people who are willing to play the OG Xbox version.
Most Halo 1 players nowadays don't play the original Xbox version of Halo 1 online via XLink Kai. Halo 1 players nowadays play Halo 1 NHE/ the original Xbox version of Halo 1 online via a program called xLAN with people in the Halo 1 Hub discord. xLAN is a tunneling program made by 002. IMO xLAN is a good alternative to XLink Kai and XBC. People in the Halo 1 Hub discord also play Halo Custom Edition on stunt_man's GMYF servers. Here are links to the Halo 1 Hub discord, xLAN, and the GMYF servers.
Yep! I like to play games on the platforms they were meant for when they were released. As such, I play Halo and Halo 2 on the original Xbox, Halo 3 and 4 on the 360, and I will probably get Halo 6 for the Xbox One.
Yes on my 360 though
Yes it was my first halo game I ever played my grandma always went to garage sells and she got the og Xbox and the halo ce game and that was the first game me and my cousin ever played I was 8 and he was 7 and throughout those years I have seen halo evolve in to what it is today
I honestly play it once or twice a month. My friends and I get together and host LAN parties, just like the old days, to play Halo CE and Halo 2.
I honestly play it once or twice a month. My friends and I get together and host LAN parties, just like the old days, to play Halo CE and Halo 2.
Yes TheLegendary117, love being able to, once in awhile, get the friends together and LAN party up the OG Halo CE and Halo 2. So much fun. Just something about everyone being together, chowing down pizza, trash taking to your hearts content and enjoying the "classics". :D
I bought a copy about a month or two ago.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3