Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Does anyone else play the original copy of Halo CE

OP Numerous Normal

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm not talking about the MCC or even Halo Anniversary. I'm strictly speaking about the 2001 release Halo: Combat Evolved. I play it often and I was wondering if I was a lone wolf. I know that lot's of people do speedruns of it, but I was wondering if anyone played it recreationally.
I honestly play it once or twice a month. My friends and I get together and host LAN parties, just like the old days, to play Halo CE and Halo 2.
Yes TheLegendary117, love being able to, once in awhile, get the friends together and LAN party up the OG Halo CE and Halo 2. So much fun. Just something about everyone being together, chowing down pizza, trash taking to your hearts content and enjoying the "classics". :D
It never gets old and its always a great time when you're playing with others who grew up playing the classics. Everyone appreciates them for what they are and can play for hours on end without getting worn out
I'm not talking about the MCC or even Halo Anniversary. I'm strictly speaking about the 2001 release Halo: Combat Evolved. I play it often and I was wondering if I was a lone wolf. I know that lot's of people do speedruns of it, but I was wondering if anyone played it recreationally.
You know there's a thriving competitive LAN scene for this game right? Look up The Beach LAN.
Yes I have, but that is not where most modern speedruns take place. Most are on PC or anniversary editions where looking around out of bounds is much easier. An easy way to tell if it's PC or not is by looking at the size of the health bar. If the indicators are long, it's the original game. If they're smaller, it's the PC version.
I PLAY IT ON MY 360. THE ORIGINAL HALO CE I MEAN🙂
What are the advantages of the OG ce version against MCC, Aniversary or PC/customedition . ??? is it worth digging out ?
What are the advantages of the OG ce version against MCC, Aniversary or PC/customedition . ??? is it worth digging out ?
OG CE is basically the "pure" version of CE. However, I consider it inferior to any other version. I mean, CEA on the 360 has skulls, two graphic engines so you can still play the original like how it was and terminals, not to mention online co-op. MCC basically adds 1080P 60 FPS. And after the patch, 4K 60 FPS (on 4K displays, obviously). From a technical standpoint, MCC is the definitive version to play.
Custom Edition allows you to create your own maps. There's countless of them, and even campaigns. Good examples of this is SPV3, Project Lumoria, etc. and an example of a map is Extinction. These are all made with custom-made assets not found in the vanilla game and falls under the "mod" category so I won't elaborate further. Anyway, Custom Edition also allows 4K 60 FPS, and if you have OpenSauce, you can further increase or decrease the detail. (I'm afraid this comment will be hidden. I think I spoke too much).
OG CE is basically the "pure" version of CE. However, I consider it inferior to any other version. I mean, CEA on the 360 has skulls, two graphic engines so you can still play the original like how it was and terminals, not to mention online co-op. MCC basically adds 1080P 60 FPS. And after the patch, 4K 60 FPS (on 4K displays, obviously). From a technical standpoint, MCC is the definitive version to play.
Custom Edition allows you to create your own maps. There's countless of them, and even campaigns. Good examples of this is SPV3, Project Lumoria, etc. and an example of a map is Extinction. These are all made with custom-made assets not found in the vanilla game and falls under the "mod" category so I won't elaborate further. Anyway, Custom Edition also allows 4K 60 FPS, and if you have OpenSauce, you can further increase or decrease the detail. (I'm afraid this comment will be hidden. I think I spoke too much).
Thats the same what i thought that there isnt rly a reason ( maybe for Og sounds wich will probably be patched in the mcc ) to go to the og copy. i only played SPV 3 and some Mp maps in custom edition but i am well aware of their potential but thanks anyways. So to sumarize there is absolutly not Reason at all besides Nostalgia to play it. Thats what i was woundering about this thread
Its the original version. The way the game was meant to be played. I think it's worth digging out. Its also why my friends and I make a point to LAN Halo CE and Halo 2 once or twice a month
Its the original version. The way the game was meant to be played. I think it's worth digging out. Its also why my friends and I make a point to LAN Halo CE and Halo 2 once or twice a month
jeah but the mcc version when its fixed wont it be the clear superior version ? i mean its based on the pc version wich got the 9 exclusives maps , 2 exclusive weapons, 1 exclusive vehicel , useable bansshee/Shadeturret posible future custom edition content FLUID 60 fps and at least 1080p . what do you mean the way the game was meant to be played ? what are the advantages of "playing the og one" and the way it meant to be played you imply that i should dig out og xbox too ? I mean i hear that very often but isnt a fixed mcc version to put it simply superiour ?
jeah but the mcc version when its fixed wont it be the clear superior version ? i mean its based on the pc version wich got the 9 exclusives maps , 2 exclusive weapons, 1 exclusive vehicel , useable bansshee/Shadeturret posible future custom edition content FLUID 60 fps and at least 1080p . what do you mean the way the game was meant to be played ? what are the advantages of "playing the og one" and the way it meant to be played you imply that i should dig out og xbox too ? I mean i hear that very often but isnt a fixed mcc version to put it simply superiour ?
The OG CE is simply the original, the first version ever, the "pure" version. While MCC is clearly the definitive way to play it, the OG is what marked Halo in the map.
-Snip-
-Snip-
-Snip-
-Snip-
The OG CE is simply the original, the first version ever, the "pure" version. While MCC is clearly the definitive way to play it, the OG is what marked Halo in the map.
The only way that I can imagine Halo 1 on the MCC becoming the definitive version of Halo 1 is if Kornman00 AKA Sean Cooper is able to fix the various bugs/issues that are plaguing Halo 1 on the MCC.
In order for Halo 1 on the MCC to become the definitive version of Halo 1, not only does Kornman00 have to fix the various bugs/issues that are listed on http://www.halobugs.com/ he would also have to use the original Xbox maps instead of Halo PC's maps to make the maps on MCC parity with the original Xbox version of Halo 1. Kornman00 would have to make it possible to jump out of red base's windows on Battle Creek, make it impossible for players to be able to go behind the tree near camo on Battle Creek, fix the holes in Derelict's floor and wall which allows grenades and rockets to pass through, bring back the missing lip near the creek on Hang 'Em High, remove the two-way portals from Sidewinder that leads to the bases and make it an one-way portal instead, and etc. Also Kornman00 would have to bring back the original Halo 1's sound effects, bring back the original Halo 1's HUD, use lockstep netcode(original Halo 1's netcode) when playing offline LAN, and etc.

On top of all of this if 343 really wants for Halo 1 on the MCC to become the definitive version of Halo 1 then Kornman00 will have to add some features from Halo 1 NHE such as neutral host for offline LAN, an in game visual and audio timer, a training mode that shows the spawns and randoms, and etc.
Currently the definitive way to play Halo 1's multiplayer from a competitive standpoint is to LAN the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE using original Xboxes and CRT TVs or CRT monitors.
xxcloud7xx wrote:
-Snip-
The only way that I can imagine Halo 1 on the MCC becoming the definitive version of Halo 1 is if Kornman00 AKA Sean Cooper is able to fix the various bugs/issues that are plaguing Halo 1 on the MCC.
In order for Halo 1 on the MCC to become the definitive version of Halo 1, not only does Kornman00 have to fix the various bugs/issues that are listed on http://www.halobugs.com/ he would also have to use the original Xbox maps instead of Halo PC's maps to make the maps on MCC parity with the original Xbox version of Halo 1. Kornman00 would have to make it possible to jump out of red base's windows on Battle Creek, make it impossible for players to be able to go behind the tree near camo on Battle Creek, fix the holes in Derelict's floor and wall which allows grenades and rockets to pass through, bring back the missing lip near the creek on Hang 'Em High, remove the two-way portals from Sidewinder that leads to the bases and make it an one-way portal instead, and etc. Also Kornman00 would have to bring back the original Halo 1's sound effects, bring back the original Halo 1's HUD, use lockstep netcode(original Halo 1's netcode) when playing offline LAN, and etc.

On top of all of this if 343 really wants for Halo 1 on the MCC to become the definitive version of Halo 1 then Kornman00 will have to add some features from Halo 1 NHE such as neutral host for offline LAN, an in game visual and audio timer, a training mode that shows the spawns and randoms, and etc.
Currently the definitive way to play Halo 1's multiplayer from a competitive standpoint is to LAN the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE using original Xboxes and CRT TVs or CRT monitors.
Permission to rephrase? Thank you.
While the OG CE is what marked Halo in the map, the definitive game in terms of campaign is CEA, either on 360 or One, while multiplayer is like time ago (LAN the Xboxes). After the MCC patch, MCC becomes the definitive version to play, with skulls, terminals, 4K 60 FPS (One X) on both Campaign and Multiplayer, including CE Matchmaking.
Is that better?
In my mind, the only way that Halo CE is superior to the OG Halo CE is because you can play it online. The hit registration on the OG Halo CE is better and the game runs better even with its little glitches here and there. Because the MCC Halo CE runs on Xbox Live, there are glitches, an inconsistent hit box/hit registration, and a few other things. Don't get me wrong, it's a blast to play on Xbox Live, I'm simply saying that I think the OG Halo is still the best.

Please note that this is just my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong. :)
xxcloud7xx wrote:
-Snip-

While the OG CE is what marked Halo in the map, the definitive game in terms of campaign is CEA, either on 360 or One, while multiplayer is like time ago (LAN the Xboxes). After the MCC patch, MCC becomes the definitive version to play, with skulls, terminals, 4K 60 FPS (One X) on both Campaign and Multiplayer, including CE Matchmaking.
Is that better?
The only possible way that MCC Halo 1 can be considered the definitive version of Halo 1 after the updates to MCC is if 343 is capable of fixing all of the various bugs and issues that are plaguing Halo 1 on the MCC and they make the game play just as good as the original Xbox version of Halo 1 or even better than the original Xbox version of Halo 1. While MCC Halo 1 does have a higher frame rate and a higher resolution than the original Xbox version of Halo 1 it's not currently the definitive version of Halo 1 because it's plagued with a ton of bugs and issues.
I'm not going to get my hopes up for the MCC updates because there's no guarantee that Kornman00 AKA Sean Cooper will be able to fix all of the various bugs and issues that are listed on http://www.halobugs.com/ and make MCC Halo 1 play just as good as the original Xbox version of Halo 1 or even better than the original Xbox version of Halo 1. If MCC Halo 1 doesn't end up getting all of the fixes and updates that it desperately needs then the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE will remain the definitive version of Halo 1 when it comes to the terms of the competitive multiplayer aspect of Halo 1.
xxcloud7xx wrote:
xxcloud7xx wrote:
-Snip-

Is that better?
The only possible way that MCC Halo 1 can be considered the definitive version of Halo 1 after the updates to MCC is if 343 is capable of fixing all of the various bugs and issues that are plaguing Halo 1 on the MCC and they make the game play just as good as the original Xbox version of Halo 1 or even better than the original Xbox version of Halo 1. While MCC Halo 1 does have a higher frame rate and a higher resolution than the original Xbox version of Halo 1 it's not currently the definitive version of Halo 1 because it's plagued with a ton of bugs and issues.
I'm not going to get my hopes up for the MCC updates because there's no guarantee that Kornman00 AKA Sean Cooper will be able to fix all of the various bugs and issues that are listed on http://www.halobugs.com/ and make MCC Halo 1 play just as good as the original Xbox version of Halo 1 or even better than the original Xbox version of Halo 1. If MCC Halo 1 doesn't end up getting all of the fixes and updates that it desperately needs then the original Xbox version of Halo 1/Halo 1 NHE will remain the definitive version of Halo 1 when it comes to the terms of the competitive multiplayer aspect of Halo 1.
The original version will ALWAYS be the definitive version. Old school CRT, original Xbox, duke controllers, and copies of Halo CE. That's the way to do so. Playing CE on Xbox Live is nice but the original will always be the best
Oh yes, I still even have my old original copy from its release date in 2001.
Definitely yes, its the best version of them all.
xxcloud7xx wrote:
xxcloud7xx wrote:
-Snip-
  • http://www.halobugs.com/
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpCxkflqmuA&app=desktop

• http://halo1final.com/nhe/
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UdkW9X6Boec
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAEBTHUfqV8ZfWDwD900z_r6hJoECHzbT&v=Fsf8OEisNx8
  • http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/17787-va-beach-lan-2018-halo-ce-tournament-may-24th-28th/
  • http://beach-lan.com/
  • https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgF8rZtGmOvlJHdMu8olAJhCiT_Kgj9pD&app=desktop
  • http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/17765-beach-lan-7-halo-ce-tournament-818-825/
Is that better?
The original version will ALWAYS be the definitive version. Old school CRT, original Xbox, duke controllers, and copies of Halo CE. That's the way to do so. Playing CE on Xbox Live is nice but the original will always be the best
Yep, that’s like saying Brutal DOOM is the definitive version over the original. While Brutal DOOM enhances the gameplay in every single shape and form, it’s not nearly a classic as the original. (Sorry for the -Yoink- comparison)
xxcloud7xx wrote:
xxcloud7xx wrote:
-Snip-

• http://halo1final.com/nhe/
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UdkW9X6Boec
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAEBTHUfqV8ZfWDwD900z_r6hJoECHzbT&v=Fsf8OEisNx8
  • http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/17787-va-beach-lan-2018-halo-ce-tournament-may-24th-28th/
  • http://beach-lan.com/
  • https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgF8rZtGmOvlJHdMu8olAJhCiT_Kgj9pD&app=desktop
  • http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/17765-beach-lan-7-halo-ce-tournament-818-825/
Is that better?
Yep, that’s like saying Brutal DOOM is the definitive version over the original. While Brutal DOOM enhances the gameplay in every single shape and form, it’s not nearly a classic as the original. (Sorry for the -Yoink- comparison)
Well, but Brutal DOOM is brutally (pun unintended) different from the original too. New guns, new mechanics, new everything. Can you actually replay the game exactly like vanilla DOOM? (If you actually can, please ignore this comment) Combat Evolved Anniversary or really any other version stay faithful to the original and is pretty much the exact same thing, either with a new coat of paining (Anniversaries) or not (PC). Anniversaries just add terminals, skulls and achievements which don't affect the gameplay in any way.
buzzsaw135 wrote:
Oh yes, I still even have my old original copy from its release date in 2001.
There you go! That's awesome!!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3