Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Engineers and Prophets (CE)

OP tuhin94

Anyone have a source explaining why Bungie decided to omit Prophets entirely and not use the Engineer assets they already had created? Was it something as simple as not having enough resources or something more complicated?
I don't think Prophets are even in the code for CE. I never saw any assets for them when I used to mod the game so I don't think they were ever planned to be in the final game. I may be wrong but I don't recall ever seeing them in any of the conceptual builds and prototype builds for CE either though my memory's fuzzy on that one.

Engineers were in Halo CE's code but I believe they were only there for a few maps like the Silent Cartographer. They don't do anything and I don't remember them even having an attack function either. It's possible Bungie couldn't come up with an idea for them during gameplay but I suppose we could have seen them during cutscenes. Another simple explanation is performance. More assets = lower performance and Halo CE wasn't a stable 30fps to begin with, even worse in co-op mode. To have unnecessary Engineer's floating around just to give a scene better detail probably wouldn't be the best use of the Xbox's resources or for the framerate as this would have a negative impact on playability. Ultimately I would say the best comparison would be the planned wildlife like we saw in the early CE builds, which were scrapped. Having these running around, whilst cool, would also have the same impact to the games performance.

It took the Xbox 360 to be able to have Engineers appearing, at least, in Halo 3: ODST. Even then, outside of plot, I felt they didn't really add anything to the gameplay other than being a nuisance, same with Halo: Reach. It's a delicate balance between gameplay and performance.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on previous experience. I will say that I've not come across any interviews discussing the Engineers in CE so I apologise for being unable to provide you with something other than my opinion but it's possible they may be out there.
Thanks a bunch :-) That explains a lot actually since I hadn’t really thought about it that way.
It took the Xbox 360 to be able to have Engineers appearing, at least, in Halo 3: ODST. Even then, outside of plot, I felt they didn't really add anything to the gameplay other than being a nuisance, same with Halo: Reach. It's a delicate balance between gameplay and performance.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on previous experience. I will say that I've not come across any interviews discussing the Engineers in CE so I apologise for being unable to provide you with something other than my opinion but it's possible they may be out there.
Bungie only had so many resources back in 2001 when Halo: Combat Evolved was release and no one had any idea it was going to take off in the way that it did. James060394 is right in that we didn't see engineers until 2009, with the release of Halo 3: ODST, because they had the added capabilities of the Xbox 360 at their disposal along with extra space because it didn't have multiplayer/matchmaking. Yes, it had Firefight which can be considered multiplayer but you had to invite friends in order to play.
tuhin94 wrote:
Anyone have a source explaining why Bungie decided to omit Prophets entirely and not use the Engineer assets they already had created? Was it something as simple as not having enough resources or something more complicated?
The common explanation for the Engineers is that Bungie struggled to incorporate them into gameplay (likely balancing issues or, possibly, the enemy not having an interesting role in combat.) Halo: Combat Evolved was also originally supposed to have a Prophet that'd be "an Elite with a funny hat" (if that's the wrong link then it can be found here) though I don't believe any official explanation has been given as to why it was cut, but things like time constraints likely played a role in it.

That's really all I've ever found.
tuhin94 wrote:
The common explanation for the Engineers is that Bungie struggled to incorporate them into gameplay (likely balancing issues or, possibly, the enemy not having an interesting role in combat.) Halo: Combat Evolved was also originally supposed to have a Prophet that'd be "an Elite with a funny hat" (if that's the wrong link then it can be found here) though I don't believe any official explanation has been given as to why it was cut, but things like time constraints likely played a role in it.

That's all some cool info, thanks :-) I'm not sure if I've watched the dev commentary for CE yet, so that's a good one to watch at some point.
Time and resources. Prophets (I believe) were originally planned to be in CE, but they were taken out early on, hence, why there are no traces of them in today's game (in contrast to the engineer.) What Boundless says is what I was basing my knowledge off of.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

That's all some cool info, thanks :-) I'm not sure if I've watched the dev commentary for CE yet, so that's a good one to watch at some point.
(Scratch that entire original comment.)