Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 2 Backwards Compatible..?

OP georgeandchestr

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Okay okay, hear me out.
Some people are just going to assume I'm posting for jokes...
I'm actually serious.
Is there no possible way, with the new addition of OG Xbox Compatibility, that Halo 2 could be brought up and the servers brought back online?
If a third party like 'Project Cartographer' can do it, what would block 343 / Microsoft?
I don't think the servers are ever going to be able to come back online ever again! Although having Halo 2 backwards compatible is not that far fetched!
Okay okay, hear me out.
Some people are just going to assume I'm posting for jokes...
I'm actually serious.
Is there no possible way, with the new addition of OG Xbox Compatibility, that Halo 2 could be brought up and the servers brought back online?
If a third party like 'Project Cartographer' can do it, what would block 343 / Microsoft?
i actually believe the servers can and will be revived remember this is the game that made Xbox live successful what better way to pay tribute to original xbox and making this game relevant again by turning the servers back on
The Halo 2 servers will be fun if they brought it back

Quote:
OG Xbox Compatibility, that Halo 2 could be brought up and the servers brought back online?
The Halo 2 servers will be fun if they brought it back
Quote:
OG Xbox Compatibility, that Halo 2 could be brought up and the servers brought back online?
i personally never played it online to good extent but the mcc and xlink kai didn't do it for me since it was always br's on lockout all the time instead of assault on terminal or ctf on headlong
I can't see them turning back on the old Xbox Live services that they specifically shut down to introduce the current iteration that everyone connects to. Not just the cost of doing so, but the security implications of having that old service running again... No, just can't see them doing that.

I could potentially see them providing small updates to the games to allow them to use modern Xbox Live services, but even that is a stretch.
Original Xbox Live servers aren't coming back, but Halo 2 bc for campaign and system link is completely possible (and I'd even say likely). My big question is how are they going to deal with the map packs for Halo 2? It's not like they are available anymore. Some people have them on disc, but that's getting harder and harder to find. I'm hoping that they just include them in the download.
I expect halo 2 bc hitting at early 2018
jjnk12345 wrote:
reasonable they seem to hold back the most requested titles so they can give attention to more smaller titles which i don't think is a bad idea but that's just me
stckrboy wrote:
I can't see them turning back on the old Xbox Live services that they specifically shut down to introduce the current iteration that everyone connects to. Not just the cost of doing so, but the security implications of having that old service running again... No, just can't see them doing that.

I could potentially see them providing small updates to the games to allow them to use modern Xbox Live services, but even that is a stretch.
Any form of it would definitely please me and possibly, tens of thousands of others. Then again, we can only speculate. No point getting hopes up.

Saying this, I'd still be happy offline playing the 'og' campaign (not on MCC), just for the authenticity.
Halo 2 will be bc servers and all because game developers don't actually remove the servers people still play og halo 2 they just stop doing maintenance on them what kills the servers is the community let's say everyone leaves destiny 1 to go to destiny 2 that's when they will shut them down .
Just backwards compatibility for campaign would be good for me
Halo 2 will be bc servers and all because game developers don't actually remove the servers people still play og halo 2 they just stop doing maintenance on them what kills the servers is the community let's say everyone leaves destiny 1 to go to destiny 2 that's when they will shut them down .
Halo 2's online matchmaking ran on the original iteration of Xbox Live. When the 360 launched, they launched with it a new iteration which is what we all use today. The original XBL servers went offline a few years ago and took Halo 2 offline with them, those servers will long have been decommissioned by now. If Halo 2 does does become backwards compatible they would have to either release it without matchmaking support or update it to support the current generation of XBL. I don't see the BC team at Xbox doing that large an update to the game, though I could be wrong
stckrboy wrote:

I definitely agree with what your saying. Highly unlikely that they would bring the decade old servers out of storage and turn them on so OG Xbox fans can play their favorite game online. But I don't see any reason why they can't be "re-wired", if that's even the right terminology, so that they can be played again. Anything is possible and from my understanding there is no reason why they can't make OG Xbox games work with current servers. If they can make old games play on new gen hardware, then they can definitely make them play online as well. It all depends if they are willing to make the effort and spend whatever man hours necessary to make it happen. Hopefully they will because Halo 2 made Xbox and Xbox Live. Its online capabilities were tragically and unnecessarily removed disappointing thousands of Halo 2 fans around the world. It only makes sense for them to bring it back.
Even if Halo 2 returned with Online, the experience just wouldnt be the same as it was all those years ago.

Halo 2 was special because of more than just its matchmaking (though obviously that played a big part). Back then we had the following:

- No party chat so everyone was using in-game chat
- Proximity chat

Those two factors alone make a huge difference. We made friends on Halo 2 because we met other players who were funny. We made friends on Halo 2 because you played with someone you liked, added them and started playing customs. We created Zombies, Tower of Power, Swat, MLG (competitive for consoles). We invited players to glitch out of the maps because of the 'M' sign on Coagulation, which people used to think meant McDonalds. We invited players we talked to in MM to try to get out of Burial Mounds with the Spectre

Basically, what I am trying to say is, the experience will be different. These days, people just stay in Party Chat and rarely talk in game so you never have a laugh with randoms and get these cool ideas anymore. I have never had the same experience I have had in Halo 2 on a console since. The only console game that has even come close to providing an experience like that is the Destiny Raids but that is just that, for the Raids only. Players usually hang around after the raids and chat for a bit but then they leave. Halo 2 would literally be MM with difficulty getting Customs going.

Some of my best memories from Halo 2 were due to the voice chat and proximity chat. Ever played Relic in a stressful, balanced game and had to live through the terror of an enemy Warthog coming at you whilst playing the Numa Numa song (back when that was popular) through proximity chat? It made the game fun.

If Halo 2 was to return it would be like this:

- Everyone in party chat so it would be a ghost town
- Custom games would be difficult to host because people would not communicate as often as they used to
- It won't have the cultural impact (Machinima)
- It won't have MLG support

Halo 2 was an experience, an experience that even if the original returns with LIVE, will never be the same. To me, Party Chat is both a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately to me, it has lead to the lack of a community feeling outside of the forums.

Just my opinion and experience from back in the day.
We don't need Halo 2 BC. We have Halo 2: Anniversary on Xbox One via MCC
We don't need Halo 2 BC. We have Halo 2: Anniversary on Xbox One you dont understand the superbouncing community:(
MadRaven01 wrote:
jjnk12345 wrote:
reasonable they seem to hold back the most requested titles so they can give attention to more smaller titles which i don't think is a bad idea but that's just me
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Halo CE and/or Halo 2 getting the BC treatment for Xbox One in 2018. We've already gotten all of the Halo games from the Xbox 360 era on the Xbox One, might as well put the orignal Xbox Halo games on there for the sake of completion.
We don't need Halo 2 BC. We have Halo 2: Anniversary on Xbox One via MCC
While I'm sure there are some people out there who are happy that Frank and 343i pointed out what went wrong with MCC (three years after its disastrous release) and have said they'd fix it next year, many of us have been burned by 343i's mishandling of Halo MCC to the point where having the original Halo 2 be BC on Xbox One would be a blessing. Yes, there's the issue of the DLC map packs and the updates that the game had gotten throughout its tenure that not many of us can get anymore (since the servers for the OG Xbox were shut down back in 2010), but to reiterate what I've said in other threads, Halo 2 Anniversary should have just been its own thing for people who wanted to play Halo 2's online multiplayer again.
Honestly I'd assume with the MCC 2018 patch releasing sometime in the near future to address issues, you would think that they wouldn't mess with Halo 2 because alot of issues are addressed and already contains more functionality than the base game did.

Yeah, I know Superbouncing is nearly impossible now, but tbh, it -Yoinking!- ruined multiplayer hard.
Honestly I'd assume with the MCC 2018 patch releasing sometime in the near future to address issues, you would think that they wouldn't mess with Halo 2 because alot of issues are addressed and already contains more functionality than the base game did.

Yeah, I know Superbouncing is nearly impossible now, but tbh, it -Yoinking!- ruined multiplayer hard.
They won't touch the games at all, just the functionality of the MCC as a whole.

Superbouncing was fun but it didn't ruin multiplayer, modders/hackers did. Getting passed a 34 was truly impossible without cheating
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2