Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 2: Director's Cut

OP A So So Sniper

I recently discovered Bungie had a lot of great ideas for Halo 2 they could not implement simply because of time constraints. They also didn't have enough time to tweak the difficulties to be challenging, but fun, explaining why Halo 2's Legendary difficulty was so hard.

So I thought, what would Halo 2's campaign be like if there weren't time constraints? Then Bungie would have the time to make all those canceled levels, use cancelled AI and vehicles, such as the flood juggernaut, the sharquoi, the forerunner tank, and several other factors that would've been awesome. Just look at the deleted material on the Halo Nation and see all the great ideas Bungie had to cut from the game.

Bungie actually didn't plan for the game to end as a cliffhanger, but time constraints made them change that, and while the result did make a turn for the better, I really would like to see how they would've done it if there wasn't a deadline. That's why I want 343 and/either/or Bungie to make a Halo 2: Director's Cut. With the success of the unpolished, unfinished Halo 2, imagine what the complete result would be like. It could possibly be more anticipated than Half Life 3!

Post your thoughts on this idea. Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!
Would it be cool?Yes.
Could it be more anticipated then Half Life 3?No.
It would be a cool idea,but we have no clue whats left from these ideas beside some concept arts,also how should it work with the canon ?
Would it be cool?Yes.
Could it be more anticipated then Half Life 3?No.
It would be a cool idea,but we have no clue whats left from these ideas beside some concept arts,also how should it work with the canon ?
Forgot to mention it wouldn't be part of the lore, it would just be for fun, to fix past mistakes, if you will. There were actually entire levels removed from the game due to time constraints.

For example, rather than the Chief detonating the bomb in the Covenant ship in the cutscene after Cairo Station, there would have been an entire mission where he breaks into the ship and fights his way through it, where you would be first introduced to the sharquoi. There would have also been a mission right after Regret that has the Chief fight his way to the Gravemind, rather than just getting pulled all the way there by a tentacle.

These were actual ideas Bungie had, but the deadline caused them to remove them from the final product, and it would be really cool to see how they play out.
Really cool idea, but, unfortunately, unfeasible.
Its a cool idea but it'll never happen. Had Bungie kept control of Halo, there might have been some chance of that down the road but it's never happening. They had to cut off the entire third act of Halo 2 because of time constraints and because of how hard it was. If you haven't already, you should go and watch Bungie's O Brave New World documentary about their journey with Halo. They refer to Halo 2 as a "three act tragedy" starting at the 19:15 mark in the video.
Its a cool idea but it'll never happen. Had Bungie kept control of Halo, there might have been some chance of that down the road but it's never happening. They had to cut off the entire third act of Halo 2 because of time constraints and because of how hard it was. If you haven't already, you should go and watch Bungie's O Brave New World documentary about their journey with Halo. They refer to Halo 2 as a "three act tragedy" starting at the 19:15 mark in the video.
I am inclined to Agree especially from a LORE Perspective.
It was Bungie's fault as to why they had time contraints, and the reason is because they wanted to create a totally new engine, which took up about half of the development. After they decided to scrap the engine because it was taking too much time of development, the rest was a bit chaotic. They had so much to add and all that was removed because of the engine. After Halo 2's mess, they decided to modify the previous engine to develop the new Halo games, just like how it has been, and a proof of this is the dual-wielding mechanic that is present even in Halo 5, but of course unused and weird and can only be done via a overload glitch.

I agree, it would be cool to have another Halo 2 game that was polished, complete and hopefully without the button combos. However, Bungie became Activision's b-Yoink- and became money-hungry. Basically a EA 3.0 (Activision is 2.0), and because of the mistake they made (signing a 10-year contract with Activision), and how 343 is now leading Halo's development, Bungie will never come back, especially since they lost most of the major people and even had the -Yoinking- balls to fire our lord Marty O'Donnel. Even my friend, who simply likes but doesn't play Halo, puts his Halo 2 soundtrack in Spotify in his PS4, which is a sign that Marty's work is true art.

More anticipated than Half-Life 3/Half-Life 2 Episode 3? No. Not even by a long shot. You know the hype when Starcraft 2 was announced? Half-Life 3 would have double the hype, heck, even triple.

Final thoughts:
It would be cool and awesome, but 343 would need to remake Halo 2 from the ground-up which they don't have the plans nor do I see them ever doing it. I think an exception is high demand, but I don't see that happening.
I am inclined to Agree especially from a LORE Perspective.
Its a REALLY great video
I clicked the link and it took me to a Gears of War 4 Horde Mode trailer. Could you possibly fix this?
I clicked the link and it took me to a Gears of War 4 Horde Mode trailer. Could you possibly fix this?
Sorry about that! I just fixed it. Try it now
There we go! Thanks for the fix, I have no idea where Gears of War came from...
There we go! Thanks for the fix, I have no idea where Gears of War came from...
It was a link I shared regarding Firefight in Halo 6. Was comparing the possibilities to how Horde is in Gears 4. I must have mixed up the links
I love halo 2, but i can not avoid comparing how Halo was a finished product and Halo 2 was not. The amount of things bungie left out is ridiculous, remember that badass (not lazy like dropping a bomb) sequence with chief assaulting a cruiser? Or the earth city level? If you look closely at thee beta you can see "saved films" option. And the graphics don't hold a candle to the marketing campaign. So although Halo 2 is between my favorites, i just can't stop thinking it could be 5 times better. Rerealsing it is not also already done but also very difficult and pointless IMAO.
Here's a video that briefly talks about Halo 2's development. This topic about bringing back levels that were cut has been discussed for years and the conclusion many have come to is that it's just not worth it. We still don't know the original ending to Halo 2 other than it being sad. Marty said at one point "We don't wanna say what was gonna happen [because] it never did happen and that's not part of what Halo 3 is." Here's another video that talks about development of the game. The quote is at the end at 1:14:55.
if you guys want to play halo 2 on original hardware, joint this discord and we will get you going. we play everyday, bring a headset! it works on 360 too. https://discord.gg/JStTEN