Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 2 Legendary Difficulty

OP Xenomorph63

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It is a pain! The other Halos on legendary were nothing compared to 2.
A single Elite kills you in 1 second, the sniper jackals kill you instantly with one shot, the drones are annoying as hell, and there are grunts that do nothing but throwing plasma grenades every 2 seconds!

The enemies keep shooting repeatedly even when you are behind cover. Damn they even do that when there is a closed door between you and them.

The noob combo is a must, otherwise you will run out of ammo before you can clear all enemies in one area. This is most notable on Cairo Station.
I have completed the other games on legendary without using noob combo once.
YES! The Noob Combo is your best friend against Elites and Brutes. Drone's are also incredibly annoying and frustrating to deal with.
For the brutes i rather use the carabine. 3-4 shots in the head and they're down.
People overestimate too much stuff in that game when I think about it.
Yep, all the games have a handful of sections that are somewhat difficult but the Jackal Snipers are pretty consistent with their spawns. If the player can't adapt/learn the spawns, then that's their fault.

Halo 2's problem sections for me were the seemingly infinite spawns of Jackal Snipers by the Gauss Warthog's first appearance on Metropolis, Heretic/Regret boss fights and the intro to Gravemind (the one where you start with the Brutes). Rest of the game is fine in my opinion.
The funny thing, the jackal snipers were not the worst thing for me, but the drones. Since it takes to few shots to kill you in your extremely unresiliant armor and there are so many I always die. In the jackal forest in Delta Halo you get BOTH and that stunk.
Yes, I hated to play that part on legendary. Luckily, we can completely skip it.
I was talking about the difficulty of these two parts, the prison area is okay as you don't need the gravity lifts to reach another level in the case a patrolling Jackal spot you early.

The end of the mission however, is another thing, the Fuel Rod Gun is hardly able to defeat all 4 Elites before they spread into the room. If the 2 Spec Ops are still alive it's not good and that's why I tend to have trouble here.

But thanks the Fuel Rod Gun in Halo 2 is better than any other version because of the blast radius.
Oh, I see now. In your comment, you said:
Never had any problem with Gravemind except for the prison area AND the very end of the mission...
I misread the bold "AND" as "at" XD.
It is a pain! The other Halos on legendary were nothing compared to 2.
A single Elite kills you in 1 second, the sniper jackals kill you instantly with one shot, the drones are annoying as hell, and there are grunts that do nothing but throwing plasma grenades every 2 seconds!

The enemies keep shooting repeatedly even when you are behind cover. Damn they even do that when there is a closed door between you and them.

The noob combo is a must, otherwise you will run out of ammo before you can clear all enemies in one area. This is most notable on Cairo Station.
I have completed the other games on legendary without using noob combo once.
YES! The Noob Combo is your best friend against Elites and Brutes. Drone's are also incredibly annoying and frustrating to deal with.
For the brutes i rather use the carabine. 3-4 shots in the head and they're down.
That's fair and will be the case more often than not. The combo starts with a charged plasma pistol shot so as long as you begin with that, you're good to go. Just don't miss!
A charged Plasma Pistol shot inflict little damage to unshielded targets, dual wielding Plasma Rifles is fairly effective against pretty much everything minus Elites (don't want to rely on them to flinch and not getting shot) .

Past Cairo Station I no longer use the noob combo as it makes everything else unpratical, why bother with a short to medium range weapon + a short range weapon when Needlers, sniper weapons, Plasma Grenades and Brute Shots get more common as you progress ?
It is suicide. One shot jackles seriously?
A brutal but fun challenge.
So what does everybody think of the unfair Halo 2 Legendary Difficulty? Personally I like how hard it is, its like a challenge that only the best Halo players try to tackle (and succeed). I think that the Halo 2 sniper jackals are a thing of legend in the community, and the insane amount of damage the Halo 2 brutes take just add to the insane Halo 2 experiance. I will always enjoy the absolute grind of Halo 2 legendary, I also know that a lot of people dislike it. So what are your thoughts and things you liked or disliked?
I hate it. I hate it so much. It is completely unfair and unbalanced. Combat Evolved, Halo 3, and Reach had well-balanced difficulties. They are tough yet fair, but Halo 2 was rushed through development, and it shows so much. This is somewhat mitigated in H2A due to Jackal Snipers having flashy lights to make them easier to see in Anniversary graphics, as well as Elites rarely dual-wielding due to H2A being built on the Vista port, but if we're talking about Classic H2 Legendary, then I avoid it at all costs. But, the core issue is that Halo 2 was rushed and did not receive enough playtesting before being shipped, due to the deadline it had. I love the story that's told through the campaign, and I do enjoy listening to the variations in dialogue between various characters that change depending on difficulty, but the biggest sin, though, is the fact that there is no bonus Legendary Ending. With just how difficult the game is on Legendary, the least Bungie could have done was give players a fun alternate ending for surviving the torture that is Legendary, but they did not.

It's one thing to seek out a challenge. It's another thing to torture one's self through repetitive and unfair punishment, and that is exactly what Halo 2's Legendary difficulty feels like to me.
For the record, my experience is with the Vista version. I had beaten it on Legendary on GFWL when it was released but I wanted the achievement for my current Xbox account and replayed a couple years ago. By far the hardest Legendary difficulty of all the Halo games and by hardest I mean most annoying and frustrating. I found all the Halos on Legendary to be challenging but fun and doable except for Halo 2. I think Bungie overreacted to feedback on Halo CE and ratcheted up the difficulty too much causing the enemies to be overpowered while you are seriously debuffed. You can get killed by 3 shots from a plasma rifle: 2 shots to take down your shields and 1 more to kill which often happens almost instantly with dual wielding Elites. Meanwhile the enemies are really hard to take down; it's like having the Mythic, Tilt, Tough Luck, and Thunderstorm skulls on in other Halos. I finally gutted it out and got the achievement by running, jumping, and hiding in the world's most cowardly Master Chief performance. If anyone is still trying, expect to die at certain points repeatedly until you get lucky and make it through. And beware of the tram rides in Regret. More than once I had insufficient ammo there and was stuck in an impossible situation against the Elite Rangers. There was no solution other than restarting the level.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2