Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 2 on Xbox live to come back for the og Xbox?

OP apexbox2233

Now before anything let me clarify of why I am talking about this, as you may know original Xbox games have come to the Xbox one backward compatibility program, games like halo 2 had Xbox live and I was just wondering if you guys think it will return (and yes I know their is master chief collection) But halo 2 on the og Xbox (by reenabling live) should come back and their are other games out there that people have requested to return online for these og Xbox games.

yet I made a request that halo ce and halo 2 a few months back should be backwards compatible for the Xbox one and people were mentioning Xbox live in the comments on my thread, which is another reason why I am bringing this up

but anyways what do you guys think, do you think Microsoft will turn back on the servers to atleast maybe make it only work for xbox one platforms.

feel free to say your thoughts below if you agree or disagree
Microsoft won't revive the original Xbox Live, I'm pretty confident of that. It was shut down years ago and the servers likely decommissioned by now. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get Halo 2 working from our current iteration of XBL. The back compat team over at Xbox, I believe, can only work within the confines of the emulator amd don't actually touch the game code which is potentially what would be needed here.

Might be worth reaching out to them - a generalized question about OG games and XBL would probably get you the answers you need. Don't know if they would directly comment on games they haven't announced yet
stckrboy wrote:
Microsoft won't revive the original Xbox Live, I'm pretty confident of that. It was shut down years ago and the servers likely decommissioned by now. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get Halo 2 working from our current iteration of XBL. The back compat team over at Xbox, I believe, can only work within the confines of the emulator amd don't actually touch the game code which is potentially what would be needed here.

Might be worth reaching out to them - a generalized question about OG games and XBL would probably get you the answers you need. Don't know if they would directly comment on games they haven't announced yet
Ya I heard bill said that on the mixer stream where he said he doesn’t touch game code however what I find interesting the fact that every time you attempt to connect to Xbox live with the og games on Xbox one it brings the Xbox one one layout saying “ features don’t support” or whatever it says I wonder how they were able to put the layout there
I would love for them to do this, but I cant see it happening.
The main problem with bringing back Halo 2 isn't necessarily the inability of Microsoft to touch the game(it's a MS property and the code as well as the systems are likely well documented) but the fact that even if it came back you'd run into the same problem as Halo CE on XBC or XLink back in the day. Outdated and unsupported NetCode. Halo 2 was made almost 14 years ago, the systems on which Xbox runs and connects Xbox Live games to each other has changed significantly, as is the case in the MCC an outdated Networking Procedure used on current tech created an environment for a broken online experience. The only way for Halo 2 on Xbox Live to come back would be for 343s Legacy Team or another team at MS to go in and rewrite the NetCode for the current generation of Xbox Live which is completely possible all the while being completely unlikely. However I would love to see it happen even if MS just made a System Link Routing feature (XBC or XLink) a available feature for Xbox Classic games. If Halo 2 does come back I'll be on for sure I still play Halo 2 Vista on Project Cartographer and Halo 2 on XLink.
The main problem with bringing back Halo 2 isn't necessarily the inability of Microsoft to touch the game(it's a MS property and the code as well as the systems are likely well documented) but the fact that even if it came back you'd run into the same problem as Halo CE on XBC or XLink back in the day. Outdated and unsupported NetCode. Halo 2 was made almost 14 years ago, the systems on which Xbox runs and connects Xbox Live games to each other has changed significantly, as is the case in the MCC an outdated Networking Procedure used on current tech created an environment for a broken online experience. The only way for Halo 2 on Xbox Live to come back would be for 343s Legacy Team or another team at MS to go in and rewrite the NetCode for the current generation of Xbox Live which is completely possible all the while being completely unlikely. However I would love to see it happen even if MS just made a System Link Routing feature (XBC or XLink) a available feature for Xbox Classic games. If Halo 2 does come back I'll be on for sure I still play Halo 2 Vista on Project Cartographer and Halo 2 on XLink.
Ya but xlink kai is one of those things that is not the same :(
The difference between a third party program for system link routing vs a Microsoft Supported solution is vastly different especially if it runs on the Xbox itself and not a PC seperate from the hardware its self. This would make System Link Routing not only easier but more reliable than it is now. Again to state my point from the previous post, the NetCode is completely outdated, and is most likely unusable on the current Xbox Live System, XBL 1.0 was launched almost 16 years ago, the current generation of Xbox Live(XBL 3.0) is a revamp of 2.0 and is more reliable simply due to the updated matchmaking procedures, Halo 2 would need a complete under the hood over haul and if the investment wouldn't benefit 343 financially I can't see them pouring that much time or effort into Halo 2 on Xbox Live. I think I should make a video going into complete detail on why it's just not a real possibility all the while being completely possible in theory.
Really hope Halo 2 comes back with the OG xbox live
The difference between a third party program for system link routing vs a Microsoft Supported solution is vastly different especially if it runs on the Xbox itself and not a PC seperate from the hardware its self. This would make System Link Routing not only easier but more reliable than it is now. Again to state my point from the previous post, the NetCode is completely outdated, and is most likely unusable on the current Xbox Live System, XBL 1.0 was launched almost 16 years ago, the current generation of Xbox Live(XBL 3.0) is a revamp of 2.0 and is more reliable simply due to the updated matchmaking procedures, Halo 2 would need a complete under the hood over haul and if the investment wouldn't benefit 343 financially I can't see them pouring that much time or effort into Halo 2 on Xbox Live. I think I should make a video going into complete detail on why it's just not a real possibility all the while being completely possible in theory.
I think maybe they should emulate the code or some how translate to Xbox one servers if that makes sense
It would be fantastic to be able to play Halo 2 in its original state again. I wish I could play on XBL just one more time...
Sadly, I don't think it very realistic for Microsoft to put servers back up for the game. Especially with MCC and the updates that are coming in the near future for the game.
I think maybe they should emulate the code or some how translate to Xbox one servers if that makes sense
That kind of emulation would require original servers running the outdated NetCode which just seems unlikely. Maybe it'll happen but game emulation is not the same nor as easy as server emulation.
Would love to see halo 2 come back with online multiplayer but in reality I know the closest I will get to that is halo mcc. So I have hope for the legacy team to fix most of the issues with mcc so I can enjoy playing it again.
stckrboy wrote:

Make that 100% confident. There's no way Microsoft is going to do something like that. The best thing now is Halo 2 on MCC