Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 2 PC lag on windows 10

OP XxGETSHR4KTxX

It is so laggy i can barely even turn. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Im sure there are ways of fixing this, I just don't know enough to help.
I don't even know how to deal with this problem. The problem is not happening on my Surface Pro.

Maybe exit and boot up the game, restarting your PC or reinstalling the game will fix the issue.
What are your PC specs? It will be due to one of the following:

1) PC is not powerful enough, likely due to an integrated GPU (no dedicated graphics card)

2) Mouse and Keyboard input lag as a result of the in-built mouse acceleration. There is no way to disable this and was an attempt by Microsoft to ‘nerf’ mouse and keyboard. Use an Xbox 360/One controller

3) If it is none of the above, then check to see you are not running more than 60fps. Halo 2 Vista breaks when the game runs at higher than 60fps and there is no built in Vsync. To fix, cap your FPS to 60 by forcing Vsync on your graphics cards control panel or by using a 3rd party program.

Let me know how it goes.
I don't even know how to deal with this problem. The problem is not happening on my Surface Pro.

Maybe exit and boot up the game, restarting your PC or reinstalling the game will fix the issue.
That's what I was thinking

He needs to be careful with his installs. Halo 2 Vista can only be installed 5 times per CD key. Reinstalling could potentially be an issue.

He needs to be careful with his installs. Halo 2 Vista can only be installed 5 times per CD key. Reinstalling could potentially be an issue.
I didn't know there was a limit to the number of times it can be installed. It'd also be nice if he'd chime in and give us an update on whether or not anything has changed or improved.

I didn't know there was a limit to the number of times it can be installed. It'd also be nice if he'd chime in and give us an update on whether or not anything has changed or improved.
Yeah, it's one of the many reasons the game failed on PC. In fact, H2V's issues were not necessarily with the core Halo 2 experience, it was due to bizarre decisions that Microsoft took with the game that severely alienated the PC market, which is strange since they got it mostly right with Halo CE on PC. Trust me, you should have seen the Bungie forums way back then, the amount of people our small sub forum had to help because of H2V was astounding, though admittedly not any one players fault.

Some examples include:

- 5 Installs per CD key (For example, the user we are discussing has an issue. If he has installed/reinstalled 5 times, he can't play his game and has to buy a new copy)
- Xbox Live Gold requirement (PC online multiplayer has always been free with the exception of MMO's. MS removed this requirement later but it was way too late)
- Severely limited the mod tools in comparison to Halo PC/Custom Edition (Even the OG Xbox release allowed for better mods and maps)
- Mouse and Keyboard had artificial limitations to make the 360 controller dominant

Those are just a handful but you get the picture. Core Halo 2 experience is fine and probably could have done amazingly on PC but it seems like Microsoft had no idea about the PC market at all at the time. I would like to know how the OP got on because I think the issue he has is one of the reasons I mentioned earlier but it's nice to help people out, especially if H2V is the only way he can experience Halo 2 currently.

Yeah, it's one of the many reasons the game failed on PC. In fact, H2V's issues were not necessarily with the core Halo 2 experience, it was due to bizarre decisions that Microsoft took with the game that severely alienated the PC market, which is strange since they got it mostly right with Halo CE on PC. Trust me, you should have seen the Bungie forums way back then, the amount of people our small sub forum had to help because of H2V was astounding, though admittedly not any one players fault.

Some examples include:

- 5 Installs per CD key (For example, the user we are discussing has an issue. If he has installed/reinstalled 5 times, he can't play his game and has to buy a new copy)
- Xbox Live Gold requirement (PC online multiplayer has always been free with the exception of MMO's. MS removed this requirement later but it was way too late)
- Severely limited the mod tools in comparison to Halo PC/Custom Edition (Even the OG Xbox release allowed for better mods and maps)
- Mouse and Keyboard had artificial limitations to make the 360 controller dominant

Those are just a handful but you get the picture. Core Halo 2 experience is fine and probably could have done amazingly on PC but it seems like Microsoft had no idea about the PC market at all at the time. I would like to know how the OP got on because I think the issue he has is one of the reasons I mentioned earlier but it's nice to help people out, especially if H2V is the only way he can experience Halo 2 currently.
Didn't know most of those points though I'm skeptical with the "mouse and keyboard limitations" comment simply because a mouse and keyboard dominate against a controller, any day of the week. That's why we don't see more crossover play between console and PC. But, that's a conversation for another time and another forum post

Some examples include:

Didn't know most of those points though I'm skeptical with the "mouse and keyboard limitations" comment simply because a mouse and keyboard dominate against a controller, any day of the week. That's why we don't see more crossover play between console and PC. But, that's a conversation for another time and another forum post
Yeah, under normal circumstances a mouse and keyboard will dominate, assuming there are no limitations. For example, most PC games typically use raw mouse input with almost instant response time to your movements. The mouse input will also respond exactly the same way every time, allowing you to develop muscle memory and have that amazing aim that you can get with using a mouse (e.g. if you move your hand say 4cm to the right, you will always turn to the right the exact same distance on screen every time).

However, in Halo 2 Vista's case, the mouse response is completely different from standard PC games. Firstly, there is noticeable input lag when using a mouse that makes it feel like you're having to drag the mouse through mud (think of like how it feels when you move your hand underwater in a pool, probably the best way to describe it), with the Xbox controllers having no such input lag.

Furthermore, Halo 2 Vista also has built in aim acceleration for the mouse that cannot be disabled. This means that whereas in most PC games you would travel the same distance every time and develop muscle memory, Halo 2 Vista's mouse movements would be different everytime, making it impossible to learn and therefore far more difficult to use the mouse efficiently. So 4cm to the right would yield different results every single time as opposed to most PC games, where mouse acceleration is usually disabled by default.

Add in the fact that Halo 2 on both Xbox and PC already has significant aim assist and bullet magnetism with hitscan when using an Xbox controller, the end result is mouse and keyboard users are at a disadvantage as they are unable to accurately place their shots all the time. In Microsoft's defence, I assume they were trying to balance the controller better against mouse and keyboard like with Shadowrun but I think they basically shifted the extreme from Mouse dominance to controller dominance, the difference being that in this scenario, the mouse and keyboard does not feel right at all and is not fun to use whereas the 360/One controller users still have an enjoyable experience if they prefer to use controllers.

I hope this sort of makes sense.