Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 2 weakest Halo game.

OP Kyle Phantom

I've been a Halo fan since 2001 (back then I was only in 1rst grade!) since I played the original Halo on the original Xbox at my cousin's house. And when Halo 2 came out I remember loving the crap out of it on at my cousins house. Obviously later as I got older my parents finally got me my own Xbox and before I got Halo 3 for my 360 in 2009 (I was little late to the halo 3 party but not that late) I owned a copy of Halo 2 and thats the game I was playing a lot until I finally got Halo 3. Upon playing it back then obviously you're going to suck at online compared to playing hours upon hours of the campaign. Now fast forward to 2018, in between the time Halo 2's servers were shut down on the original Xbox, upon getting my copy of Halo 2 for pc, Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5's releasing. (as well as the MCC) Playing Halo 2 on the MCC especially now makes me realize something, with the exception of Halo 2's story which is definitely the strongest of the first trilogy of Halo. Halo 2 probably is the MOST broken vs Halo CE and Halo 3. Halo 2's campaign with its instant kill jackal snipers, the undodgeable elite melee attacks that instantly kill you on legendary, compared to Halo CE where you can dodge and wont kill you in one shot with the exception of the sword elites, brute bullet sponges, let alone all the weapons with exception of the needler (weakest version compared to Halo 3 and beyond) and the energy sword, Halo 2 was the first game where it started the whole trend of there has to be a human or covenant (even later games with Halo 4 and 5 with the promethians) there has to be the version of that particular weapon, for example beam rifle=sniper rifle, rocket launcher=fuel rod, battle rifle=covenant carbine, plasma rifle=smg. Compared to Halo CE where all the weapons all had their own unique special roles. Not to mention the ad campaign of you are going to fight on earth and defend her, only to play as an elite and spend the rest of the game on a foreigner installation, high charity or delta Halo, (funny how Halo 5 gets criticized for its ad campaign and halo 2 didn't? talk about nostalgia goggles) let alone multiplayer. I know for its time Halo 2 multiplayer was the pinnacle of online gaming at the time and people will argue its the most competitive but I'm not the gonna lie. Playing Halo 2 MCC, Halo 2 PC and remembering original xbox online Halo 2 back in the day. I either suck at Halo 2 (which shouldn't matter since I just want to play for fun not compete) I don't know something about Halo 2 multiplayer feels off, whether on the MCC or PC. Compared to Halo 3 where its considered the peak of the series in terms of popularity and quality (even though Halo 3's campaign could've been longer) I know Halo 2 went through a rough development that Bungie went through with the game. They literally had to cut levels, scrap the whole game and completely do the game from scratch almost close to launch at the time. (scary to think about it) I'm not saying I hate Halo 2. I still love Halo 2, is just something about it seems off. i just believe its one of the weakest Halo games especially in the original Halo trilogy. Where Halo 3 is the best, Halo CE for me being a very close tie to Halo 3 then Halo 2.
I'm open to anything I missed or disagreements.
Good post, glad to see you argue your points unlike other posters in the past. I’ll try to add my opinion:

- The game was designed to be more difficult on Legendary, which can be seen with the removal of co-op respawns. Jackal Snipers are probably the most punishing element in the game but their spawns are for the most part consistent and so the player should be able to learn them quickly.
- I’m not sure about the Elite Melee, are you simply referring to how its a 1 hit kill? Even so, if Elites are lethal in close quarters, the solution is simple, don’t engage them until you know you can beat them (low shield, shotgun, PP etc)
- Brute bullet sponges were addressed in Halo 3 and I agree they did present a problem. When the only effective way to deal with them is a HS weapon then it removes player choice or can put a player at a disadvantage. That said, just carry a HS weapon and they become no threat at all.
- The weapon sandbox had to be increased because it was ‘Halo 2’, the game that was going to be bigger, better than Halo CE. Weapons still have their uses like the Carbine though I think PR’s effeciveness was reduced and the pistol is useless.

- The ad campaign WAS criticised in a large number of Halo 2 reviews. I posted some articles in another thread about this so if you like i’ll try to find it and update this part with quotes for you. The Arbiter is of course not referred to in name but the fact you leave Earth and don’t play as Chief all game was listed as a complaint, much like MGS2 with Raiden and Halo 5 with its ‘hunt the truth’.
- Halo 2 MCC is based on Halo 2 Vista, which handles differently to Halo 2 Xbox. Weapon ROF’s, spawns, physics and more are all different to the Xbox Halo 2. I also found that at least with MCC vs H2X, H2X’s ranking system was far more accurate. In addition, H2 had an additional skill ceiling at higher levels of play with button combo’s and admittedly, the noob combo, which in itself was a problem.

To me, the feeling that something feels off is the fact that it still feels like an incomplete game. As you said, alot was cut, including the ending and I didn’t feel like I got my ‘fix’ in the Campaign since I wasn’t playing as the Chief enough. It has flaws yes, but so to do the other Halo games. To give you an example, Halo 3 uses P2P as was common with console games at the time but it favours U.S hosts, which combined with the projectile based weapon system instead of Halo 2’s hitscan, it lead to the game sometimes being more difficult to play if you were based outside the U.S.

Still, most of the Halo games are great despite some minor issues. The only three games that had ‘glaring’ problems in my opinion were Halo CEA (no original multiplayer), Halo 4 (ruined multiplayer, killstreaks, classes, no real map control elements, effectively nothing like Halo MP) and Halo 5 (Campaign for obvious reasons) but even then, those games have their die hard fans too.
Legendary Brutes go down easily with a single Needler, Brute Shot (a slash to finish) , dual Plasma Rifles and Plasma Grenades.

At the moment Brutes show up in the campaign several damaging weapons become a common sight, overestimating just as usual (and yeah the Covenant Carbine is good, also common) .

The Covenant needed the range boost for Halo 2, in Combat Evolved only a Wraith and a Fuel Rod Gun have a decent attack range when used by the A.I. and they are extremly easy to avoid if they attempt cross map shooting it's just ridiculous how they are absolutely helpless, they have a fighting chance in other games at least) .

FRGs are able to one-shot Master Chief in CE too.
Don't know if I would call it the weakest. But oh my is it BROKEN. Maybe weakest of the original trilogy, but I wouldn't say overall.
Don't know if I would call it the weakest. But oh my is it BROKEN. Maybe weakest of the original trilogy, but I wouldn't say overall.
I wouldn't say weakest. Broken and glitchy as it may have been, Halo 2 was very memorable and was really kicked off the competitive side of Halo. Yes, matchmaking was infested with modders and cheaters but even so, it always made for an interesting online experience.
Almost everyone will agree halo 2 was the hardest to do legendary on..the jackals were a nightmare but once u learn where to look u got em, as for the brutes dual wield but play smart weave like a MOFO
I wouldn't say weakest. Broken and glitchy as it may have been, Halo 2 was very memorable and was really kicked off the competitive side of Halo. Yes, matchmaking was infested with modders and cheaters but even so, it always made for an interesting online experience.
Certainly, it's a great game, but when compared with Halo CE and Halo 3 I think it falls a little short.
Certainly, it's a great game, but when compared with Halo CE and Halo 3 I think it falls a little short.
That's fair. I'd pick HCE and H3 before H2
As a retort I encourage you to watch some of this content to understand why Halo 2 is praised as one of the greatest console FPS games of all time by many people.

Halo 2: Multiplayer Evolved

Top 5 Things I LOVED About HALO 2

Why is Halo 2's Campaign SO AWESOME?

Why Halo 2's Cliffhanger Ending was AWESOME!
I thought this was going to be some sort of hate forum, but you actually brought up some pretty good points.

I can see why you think Halo 2 is overall weaker than Halo CE and 3, and I personally enjoy Halo 2 the most out of the three, but all of them are pretty great games I have tons of fun with.
BxSouIjah wrote:
As a retort I encourage you to watch some of this content to understand why Halo 2 is praised as one of the greatest console FPS games of all time by many people.

Halo 2: Multiplayer Evolved

Top 5 Things I LOVED About HALO 2

Why is Halo 2's Campaign SO AWESOME?

Why Halo 2's Cliffhanger Ending was AWESOME!
In retrospective I tend to try to stay away from the Halo community on Youtube since there's a lot of things that have gotten sour over the years, since Reach. Technically my favorite essay video that was done with Halo 2 was Raycevick's years later video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPYP1kDjWpQ
I remember staying home from school to play Halo 2 on launch day. I had seen the videos. The single shot BR. Then, they made it use burst when it was unzoomed.

I played at the fan fest the night before it came out. But when I got home and played it, I was just so disappointed. I couldn't believe it.

I don't like the campaign too much. So glad they made ODST to play the urban combat.
I've been a Halo fan since 2001 (back then I was only in 1rst grade!) since I played the original Halo on the original Xbox at my cousin's house. And when Halo 2 came out I remember loving the crap out of it on at my cousins house. Obviously later as I got older my parents finally got me my own Xbox and before I got Halo 3 for my 360 in 2009 (I was little late to the halo 3 party but not that late) I owned a copy of Halo 2 and thats the game I was playing a lot until I finally got Halo 3. Upon playing it back then obviously you're going to suck at online compared to playing hours upon hours of the campaign. Now fast forward to 2018, in between the time Halo 2's servers were shut down on the original Xbox, upon getting my copy of Halo 2 for pc, Halo Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5's releasing. (as well as the MCC) Playing Halo 2 on the MCC especially now makes me realize something, with the exception of Halo 2's story which is definitely the strongest of the first trilogy of Halo. Halo 2 probably is the MOST broken vs Halo CE and Halo 3. Halo 2's campaign with its instant kill jackal snipers, the undodgeable elite melee attacks that instantly kill you on legendary, compared to Halo CE where you can dodge and wont kill you in one shot with the exception of the sword elites, brute bullet sponges, let alone all the weapons with exception of the needler (weakest version compared to Halo 3 and beyond) and the energy sword, Halo 2 was the first game where it started the whole trend of there has to be a human or covenant (even later games with Halo 4 and 5 with the promethians) there has to be the version of that particular weapon, for example beam rifle=sniper rifle, rocket launcher=fuel rod, battle rifle=covenant carbine, plasma rifle=smg. Compared to Halo CE where all the weapons all had their own unique special roles. Not to mention the ad campaign of you are going to fight on earth and defend her, only to play as an elite and spend the rest of the game on a foreigner installation, high charity or delta Halo, (funny how Halo 5 gets criticized for its ad campaign and halo 2 didn't? talk about nostalgia goggles) let alone multiplayer. I know for its time Halo 2 multiplayer was the pinnacle of online gaming at the time and people will argue its the most competitive but I'm not the gonna lie. Playing Halo 2 MCC, Halo 2 PC and remembering original xbox online Halo 2 back in the day. I either suck at Halo 2 (which shouldn't matter since I just want to play for fun not compete) I don't know something about Halo 2 multiplayer feels off, whether on the MCC or PC. Compared to Halo 3 where its considered the peak of the series in terms of popularity and quality (even though Halo 3's campaign could've been longer) I know Halo 2 went through a rough development that Bungie went through with the game. They literally had to cut levels, scrap the whole game and completely do the game from scratch almost close to launch at the time. (scary to think about it) I'm not saying I hate Halo 2. I still love Halo 2, is just something about it seems off. i just believe its one of the weakest Halo games especially in the original Halo trilogy. Where Halo 3 is the best, Halo CE for me being a very close tie to Halo 3 then Halo 2.
I'm open to anything I missed or disagreements.
Halo 3 had random BR spread and decreased strafe speed, that alone takes away any competitive edge it would have over halo 2. Halo 2 is superior in the competitive scene due to absolutely no random spread, button combos, and fast strafe speeds. A casual will have a much easier time beating a veteran in halo 3 than a veteran in halo 2. The skill gap can only get so big in h3 due to random spread and small strafe.
Lol how is it broken?
LarsBars wrote:
I remember staying home from school to play Halo 2 on launch day. I had seen the videos. The single shot BR. Then, they made it use burst when it was unzoomed.

I played at the fan fest the night before it came out. But when I got home and played it, I was just so disappointed. I couldn't believe it.

I don't like the campaign too much. So glad they made ODST to play the urban combat.
Ah I remember back in 2004 (back then i was just in 3rd or 4rth grade) getting excited for Halo 2 and staring at the site and listening to the music on the screen. Such different times we live in now compared to then in the gaming industry and what not....
Ouch :(

But honestly imo, it's not the weakest, but oh boy Halo 2 legendary is sure is broken, whilst there are some glitches, Halo 2 is still an enjoyable game with friends are players online
BxSouIjah wrote:

Halo 2: Multiplayer EvolvedTop 5 Things I LOVED About HALO 2Why is Halo 2's Campaign SO AWESOME?Why Halo 2's Cliffhanger Ending was AWESOME!
These are all great links. I think it'll be hard, for most, to truly understand how great Halo 2 was simply because they weren't around when it was released. Halo 2 was the reason EVERYONE bought an Xbox. There was no other game that even came close to being a rival. Truly. Everyone was buying an Xbox because Halo 2 was THE game to play. The only other game that came close to rivaling was Nintendo's Super Smash Bros Melee. There's a reason that MLG tournaments featured two games, Halo 2 and Smash Bros Melee, because they were the only two games people were playing.