Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 3 - 100% Completion (sorta...)

OP BoundlessHalo97

Well it took a little while, but I now have Legendary difficulty completion, every achievement, every armor piece, every skull, and every terminal which can be earned without an Xbox Live Gold subscription on Halo 3. And while I still have a coop playthrough in the works, I've done everything solo that can be done offline and a part of me feels somewhat empty because of it.

It's a weird feeling when you run out of things to do in a game, and once I complete my coop run I honestly don't know what I'll be able to say as it's this game which made me a Halo fan and made me give Xbox a chance. And while I'm still working on the other Halo games, the fact that I'm almost out of things to do in the game that started it all for me is... weird.
Congratulations! However, there is always more to do. You just have to set new challenges for yourself, or have someone else set them for you!
Reach rank 50 in every playlist in matchmaking if you still can. I don't know about you, but the search times in Halo 3 are extremely long until you find a match.
Congratulations! You could always go and play the Master Chief Collection and earn all of those achievements. That would keep you busy for a very long time.
Reach rank 50 in every playlist in matchmaking if you still can. I don't know about you, but the search times in Halo 3 are extremely long until you find a match.
Not even possible anymore. Either too many hackers at high level or not enough people playing.
Xbox Live Gold is $70.00 in Canada, so until I've worked up enough points through Bing searches/quizzes to get a subscription for free I'm not touching matchmaking.
Congratulations! You could always go and play the Master Chief Collection and earn all of those achievements. That would keep you busy for a very long time.
I'm not interested in the Xbox One, so I'm unable to do that.
I know what you mean, I did everything there was to do in Halo 3 years back. My goal now is to get a 50 in a playlist since my highest skill is 40.

I don’t think i’ll be able to given the state of the playlists and player count, which is a darn shame. Wish i’d tried to do so back then rather than leaving it so long.
Can I ask why you're not interested? The Master Chief Collection is pretty amazing!
Can I ask why you're not interested? The Master Chief Collection is pretty amazing!
The Xbox One, contrary to popular belief, requires an Xbox Live account - paid or free - to function. There is no offline profile support, so once Microsoft decides to stop supporting the Xbox One by shutting down its servers permanently - and that will happen as they have a new Xbox in the works and won't want to have to support it, the Xbox One, and the Xbox 360 all at the same time - the console will forever turn into a paperweight for future generations of people unless you back up your account on countless hard drives and sell them online so those people can experience the then-old console for the first time.

I can go to a pawn shop right now and experience the SEGA Genesis for the first time as it lacks such DRM even though it's been around for at least thirty years now, but will the same be able to be said for future generations with the Xbox One? Not likely.

I don't support the idea of video games being disposable entertainment, so if it can't be preserved then I don't want it. We'll see what happens with the next-gen Xbox, but I'm staying far away from the Xbox One.
The Xbox One, contrary to popular belief, requires an Xbox Live account - paid or free - to function. There is no offline profile support, so once Microsoft decides to stop supporting the Xbox One by shutting down its servers permanently - and that will happen as they have a new Xbox in the works and won't want to have to support it, the Xbox One, and the Xbox 360 all at the same time - the console will forever turn into a paperweight for future generations of people unless you back up your account on countless hard drives and sell them online so those people can experience the then-old console for the first time.

I can go to a pawn shop right now and experience the SEGA Genesis for the first time as it lacks such DRM even though it's been around for at least thirty years now, but will the same be able to be said for future generations with the Xbox One? Not likely.

I don't support the idea of video games being disposable entertainment, so if it can't be preserved then I don't want it. We'll see what happens with the next-gen Xbox, but I'm staying far away from the Xbox One.
Okay, but you don't always have to be connected, meaning the console will work fine years down the road (although probably not great.)

However, I am understanding of not wanting to get the MCC just to buy games you already have.
Jestzer wrote:

Okay, but you don't always have to be connected, meaning the console will work fine years down the road (although probably not great.)

However, I am understanding of not wanting to get the MCC just to buy games you already have.
You're missing my point.

While the console will work more-or-less fine for me, unless I back up my account on multiple hard drives the console will be forever unusable if the built-in hard drive ever fails. I'm well aware that a constant connection isn't needed, but as you need to connect to the internet at least once with the console in order to use it that will cause issues for those too young to have an Xbox One while the servers are still up. I don't like the idea of that so I certainly don't want to give my money to a company that would do that.

That's a completely fair assessment and reasoning. I'm still frustrated about the "always online" aspect of the Xbox One. I actually run a business where I setup LAN's, tournaments, and anything video game related. I dropped almost $17,000 on 16 Xbox One's and new monitors when the console launched back in 2015. I was furious to discover that it always needed to be online. You couldn't LAN/System Link and in order to do ANYTHING, you needed an Xbox Live gamertag. You couldn't make offline accounts like you can with the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

Anyway, I'm going to stop before continuing on my rant. I'm sorry you are straying away from the Xbox One but I don't blame you. I love Halo so I can't stay away. Horrible console or not, Halo has always been an Xbox game so I will continue to play, no matter how rough things may get. Hopefully things do improve so you can come and join us on the battlefield

That's a completely fair assessment and reasoning. I'm still frustrated about the "always online" aspect of the Xbox One. I actually run a business where I setup LAN's, tournaments, and anything video game related. I dropped almost $17,000 on 16 Xbox One's and new monitors when the console launched back in 2015. I was furious to discover that it always needed to be online. You couldn't LAN/System Link and in order to do ANYTHING, you needed an Xbox Live gamertag. You couldn't make offline accounts like you can with the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

Anyway, I'm going to stop before continuing on my rant. I'm sorry you are straying away from the Xbox One but I don't blame you. I love Halo so I can't stay away. Horrible console or not, Halo has always been an Xbox game so I will continue to play, no matter how rough things may get. Hopefully things do improve so you can come and join us on the battlefield
Did the supposed ‘LAN support’ 343 added to MCC in the recent update fix this issue? From what it read like, it seems like it still needs an online connection. I’ve not had a chance to try this either.

Also, don’t know if it’s just me but i’m for some reason unable to play any Xbox 360 games on my Xbox One X now that my internet is down. Always get the ‘too long to start’ error and then when it finally did get past that, it crashed halfway through the Xbox 360 startup animation. Very frustrating as I was going to play some Halo 3 and Halo Reach co-op but for now, i’m unable to do so, ruining plans for the day. To add, this is with a disc install and not a digital download and the games are already installed.

Side note - I am aware that discs download a digital copy but the disc is used to start the game rather than a digital activation.
Did the supposed ‘LAN support’ 343 added to MCC in the recent update fix this issue? From what it read like, it seems like it still needs an online connection. I’ve not had a chance to try this either.

Also, don’t know if it’s just me but i’m for some reason unable to play any Xbox 360 games on my Xbox One X now that my internet is down. Always get the ‘too long to start’ error and then when it finally did get past that, it crashed halfway through the Xbox 360 startup animation. Very frustrating as I was going to play some Halo 3 and Halo Reach co-op but for now, i’m unable to do so, ruining plans for the day. To add, this is with a disc install and not a digital download and the games are already installed.

Side note - I am aware that discs download a digital copy but the disc is used to start the game rather than a digital activation.
AFAIK, you can run the games of mcc in offline LAN, but you still need an XBL profile to be on the xbox prior to starting the offline MCC LAN action.

So you need the connection at first in order to get everyone's profile loaded up, but after that you are good to go.

At least I think that's how it works.
Well it took a little while, but I now have Legendary difficulty completion, every achievement, every armor piece, every skull, and every terminal which can be earned without an Xbox Live Gold subscription on Halo 3. And while I still have a coop playthrough in the works, I've done everything solo that can be done offline and a part of me feels somewhat empty because of it.

It's a weird feeling when you run out of things to do in a game, and once I complete my coop run I honestly don't know what I'll be able to say as it's this game which made me a Halo fan and made me give Xbox a chance. And while I'm still working on the other Halo games, the fact that I'm almost out of things to do in the game that started it all for me is... weird.
If you're not looking to jump into the online MP yet, maybe work on setting personal score attack goals? Or work on speed runs? Or maybe even your own LASO?
AshamanND wrote:

If you're not looking to jump into the online MP yet, maybe work on setting personal score attack goals? Or work on speed runs? Or maybe even your own LASO?
There is no Score Attack in the Xbox 360 version of Halo 3 unless you refer to simply seeing the best scores I can get without the competitive element of comparison to others.

I haven't had a chance to try yet. I was in Seattle, for PAX West, when the update went live. Since returning home, school started up and I've been playing catch up with work. I'll have a chance to try in two weeks. I've read a few things and it does still sound like an internet connection is still required to do anything.

I don't play Xbox 360 games on Xbox One X simply because I prefer to play them on 360. That's how they were made and it's the best way to play.