Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo 3 Needs Blur Cutscenes.

OP MochaNight67368

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There's not a kind way to put this... Halo 3's graphics are and always were the ugliest in the series.

Halo 3 was never the prettiest game when it came out and certainly never pushed the edge of graphical possibilities in video games in 2007. It was always the underperformer of its time (Halo and Halo 2 did). The character design, in particular, human faces, are atrocious and remain a sore spot for me personally since its release. Beyond that, the color scheme in Halo 3 is just strange. I can't exactly explain this part but the colors are weirdly vibrant when the rest of the previous series was more muted. It gives the game a distinctly cartoonish look that is unfortunate and stands out like a sore thumb.

I know Halo 3 remaster will never happen, I just wanted to say my peace on Halo 3.
I have thought the exact same thing.. but alas no H3A. The scene where Johnson is talking smack to Truth before lighting the rings, and the scene where Johnson tells Chief to never let Cortana go have horrible mouth mechanics (is that what it's called?). "send me out with a bang" looked like "wa wa wa...wa wa waaa". H3 is my favorite game in the franchise, so I want this to happen, even though it never will...
I have thought the exact same thing.. but alas no H3A. The scene where Johnson is talking smack to Truth before lighting the rings, and the scene where Johnson tells Chief to never let Cortana go have horrible mouth mechanics (is that what it's called?). "send me out with a bang" looked like "wa wa wa...wa wa waaa". H3 is my favorite game in the franchise, so I want this to happen, even though it never will...
I agree! Something about that exact cutscene really stands out to me too. The moment after Johnson dies the facility starts falling apart and chief is running away. The animation has always looked so awkward from day 1.
There's not a kind way to put this... Halo 3's graphics are and always were the ugliest in the series.

Halo 3 was never the prettiest game when it came out and certainly never pushed the edge of graphical possibilities in video games in 2007. It was always the underperformer of its time (Halo and Halo 2 did). The character design, in particular, human faces, are atrocious and remain a sore spot for me personally since its release. Beyond that, the color scheme in Halo 3 is just strange. I can't exactly explain this part but the colors are weirdly vibrant when the rest of the previous series was more muted. It gives the game a distinctly cartoonish look that is unfortunate and stands out like a sore thumb.

I know Halo 3 remaster will never happen, I just wanted to say my peace on Halo 3.
Looking back on it now,combat evolved has pretty bad graphics. I know it's an original xbox game but it's pretty hard to play on

Looking back on it now,combat evolved has pretty bad graphics. I know it's an original xbox game but it's pretty hard to play on
I think CE aged pretty well. Human faces on the Halo engine obviously didn't but when it was first released it was one the prettiest games of its time, especially the environments. However , they remastered it and those cleaned up cutscenes I think are absolutely fine.

I think CE aged pretty well. Human faces on the Halo engine obviously didn't but when it was first released it was one the prettiest games of its time, especially the environments. However , they remastered it and those cleaned up cutscenes I think are absolutely fine.
I mean, they're bearable, but they still aren't great. They're still far worse than Reach's cutscenes (which came out before it), and even 3's cutscenes (to some). 343 really should've gotten Blur to do those as well. I don't think they had warmed to the idea of not having the game cinematics use a different engine yet though

I mean, they're bearable, but they still aren't great. They're still far worse than Reach's cutscenes (which came out before it), and even 3's cutscenes (to some). 343 really should've gotten Blur to do those as well. I don't think they had warmed to the idea of not having the game cinematics use a different engine yet though
The overarching problem is those Blur cutscenes are incredibly expensive to do. Well CEA is a touchup, they intentionally just laid a skin over it to not replace the engine and maintain the authentic feeling. I do wish all cutscenes would be Blur going forward, but I don't see it. My point still stands that these games graphics have obviously all aged but that Halo 3 was never good from the beginning. Reach was a very pretty game the day it came out so were Halo 2 and CE. Halo 3 and ODST since they were the exact same engine were always behind the curve.

The overarching problem is those Blur cutscenes are incredibly expensive to do. Well CEA is a touchup, they intentionally just laid a skin over it to not replace the engine and maintain the authentic feeling. I do wish all cutscenes would be Blur going forward, but I don't see it. My point still stands that these games graphics have obviously all aged but that Halo 3 was never good from the beginning. Reach was a very pretty game the day it came out so were Halo 2 and CE. Halo 3 and ODST since they were the exact same engine were always behind the curve.
That's fair (regarding the price of the Blur cutscenes). I don't feel like Halo 3 was too far behind in terms of graphics when it released. Wasn't really much worse (if at all) than any other game from that year, Crysis aside. Definitely does look dated now though. Game tech has advanced to a point, however, that cutscenes don't look too bad in-engine. I wouldn't necessarily say all cutscenes should be Blur-ified going forward. Halo 4's cutscenes still look decent, as do Halo 5's. Any Halo Wars game would have to, but that's just the nature of RTS games.

Halo 3s cutscenes are fine,what do you mean were never good from the beginning

The visual of Halo 3's cutscenes and the graphics were a problem from day 1. Bungie was actually attacked because Halo 3 initially ran at like 900p instead of 1080p before the game even released. Part of this argument might stem from how I feel Halo original graphics were revolutionary and Halo 2's were a massive step up from its predecessor too. It felt like Halo 3 was a much smaller step forward.

Halo 3 has a cartoonish aspect in their colouring that is very different than the previous two games and the character's facial characteristics are pretty bad even for their time. When comparing it to another AAA title like Mass Effect that released weeks later, its embarrassing. All that said, Halo 3's in-game environments are both large and beautiful, this was clearly Bungie's aim in gameplay. My issue though is reserved to their cutscenes which I found disappointing in key aspects colour and human character design. This is not exactly an isolated incident though either, its just as evident in ODST (which I love) in the characters face because its the exact same engine.

That's fair (regarding the price of the Blur cutscenes). I don't feel like Halo 3 was too far behind in terms of graphics when it released. Wasn't really much worse (if at all) than any other game from that year, Crysis aside. Definitely does look dated now though. Game tech has advanced to a point, however, that cutscenes don't look too bad in-engine. I wouldn't necessarily say all cutscenes should be Blur-ified going forward. Halo 4's cutscenes still look decent, as do Halo 5's. Any Halo Wars game would have to, but that's just the nature of RTS games.
Mass Effect released a few weeks after also and I don't think that's close.

The visual of Halo 3's cutscenes and the graphics were a problem from day 1. Bungie was actually attacked because Halo 3 initially ran at like 900p instead of 1080p before the game even released. Part of this argument might stem from how I feel Halo original graphics were revolutionary and Halo 2's were a massive step up from its predecessor too. It felt like Halo 3 was a much smaller step forward.

Halo 3 has a cartoonish aspect in their colouring that is very different than the previous two games and the character's facial characteristics are pretty bad even for their time. When comparing it to another AAA title like Mass Effect that released weeks later, its embarrassing. All that said, Halo 3's in-game environments are both large and beautiful, this was clearly Bungie's aim in gameplay. My issue though is reserved to their cutscenes which I found disappointing in key aspects colour and human character design. This is not exactly an isolated incident though either, its just as evident in ODST (which I love) in the characters face because its the exact same engine.
I'll agree with odst faces being off,but I think halo 3 looked fine,idk what kind of huge leap they could've made from halo 2 to 3

Mass Effect released a few weeks after also and I don't think that's close.
I forgot ME launched that year. I agree the graphics are better, I wouldn't say "not even close". GRAW 2, Modern Warfare, Bioshock, Crackdown, or Assassin's Creed. I wouldn't call any of them much more impressive than Halo 3 visually.

I'll agree with odst faces being off,but I think halo 3 looked fine,idk what kind of huge leap they could've made from halo 2 to 3
Those faces in ODST are the exact same thing in 3. They clearly could have made a bigger leap, it was always possible just look at what 343 was able to do with Halo 4 on the 360 or even Bungie's Reach. I'm not saying it was terrible only the weakest in the series in terms of a graphical leap between games.
Since I can’t quote everyone, i’ll try to cover most topics that everyone’s discussed:

- Halo 3 did not run at 1080p or even 900p. It ran at 640p, which is sub 720p. That is what got Halo 3 some flack because it was argued that even Microsofts flagship franchise couldn’t get native 720p.

- Halo 3 may not look great now but Bungie did try experimenting with some advanced techniques such as using two framebuffers to produce the final image, which improved the dynamic lighting of the game. To quote Bungie "This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately 'real' feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels,"(https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bungie-explains-halo-resolution)

- As people have already said, Blur cutscenes and the time needed to produce that level of detail CGI costs a lot of money. It would not be worth doing for vanilla Halo 3 at this point in time. However, if MCC starts to sell well again, it could be something 343 could consider though with Halo Infinite on the horizon, I believe this to be unlikely.

- Halo 3 does not use motion capture unlike newer iterations (I believe the first game was Reach for facial animations). This is why some of the movements look stiff or artifical compared to newer titles in the series or modern games. To implement this would cost a fair bit of money and require the game engine to be reworked. Alternatively, a hypothetical Anniversary style graphics overlay could be used but I don’t see Halo 3 Anniversary happening.

I think that covers what people have been discussing. Sorry I can’t quote everyone but just wanted to discuss.
how dare you insult halo 3
Do you think the graphics in Halo 3 are uglier than Halo CE on the original Xbox?
I was actually blown away by the graphics for Halo 3 at the time. It's the worst looking compared to the new games and remasters after, but I still find them to generally look good. On the MCC, the graphics look a bit better. Blur making cutscenes for Halo 3 would be awesome, but you know how it is now. I don't think we will ever see those remastered cutscenes.
Do you think the graphics in Halo 3 are uglier than Halo CE on the original Xbox?
That's not quite what I mean. Of course, Halo 3 looks better than Halo CE, it has to, its 6 years older than it. I mean Halo 3 for its time is not graphically great compared to its competition. There were far better-looking games in 2007 than Halo 3. In 2001 I can't name a single game that looked as good as Halo CE. That's closer to what I'm getting at.
reker 345 wrote:
how dare you insult halo 3
Halo 3 was far from perfect and the weakest of the original trilogy. Halo 2 always put it to shame in terms of the campaign.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2