Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

[Locked] Halo 3 ODST OST Music Genre? Please Help!

OP owN Forward

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So, ehm, i've no idea if this part of the website is completely desert but i hope not!

I was listening to some Halo 3 ODST soundtracks on Youtube and since i'm in love with what O'Donnel did in ODST i decided to listen to something similar by different authors; at first i thought it was smooth jazz, than blues, than sax and percussions, than drum, bass and sax.... and so on.

COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING SIMILAR AT ALL.

The biggest problem is that the sax was almost everytime too central in the song; all Martin O'Donnel's works are quite unique but i'm damn sure there's something similar around but i just can't find anything =(

Do you know what genre is this kind of music?? or this???

Any tip would be really appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i found something similar before (not exacly similar but on the same genre i guess), it's from the series Homeland, i hope this may help in the understanding of the ODST genre.
I'm not sure the genre sounds like jazz or something this forums is pretty empty.
I would agree with your assessment that we cannot completely place this music in any one musical category. My understanding is that most of the music was jazz-influenced with songs like RAIN, but pretty much each song can be classified in their own right.

For me, I would say there are some elements of the ambient music, like those found in earlier parts of SKYLINE, a song which later ends in almost triballistic drumming (like those you would find by groups like The Shamen), as well as in the early parts of ONE WAY RIDE, which also ends with driving drums. There is a subgenre of ambient music call isolationism, which tries to create a desolation in its listener like when you are on the streets in ODST.

Then we go from those songs to the wondrous layers of music in something like TRAFFIC JAM (a song that you would find a classic rock ballad). I call this style of music video game music btw. Songs like MORE THAN HIS SHARE are good examples of this. We hear booming drums again as well as a nice base guitar rift, which is something that you would expect to hear in a game like Silent Hill. The piano work in ASPHALT AND ABLUTION and spookyness later on in the song would also make that song a good one for a Silent Hill game as well). The drums drive the player to move faster and faster with urgency, which is something I think some video game music needs. There are musics that stop the player as well or slow them down at least.

Look at songs like DEFERENCE FOR DARKNESS, which is something that you would expect out of a Final Fantasy type game. NO STONE UNTURNED also starts out as a wonderful piano piece but then moves into a driving drum piece like those found in the theme of the new Battlestar Galatica. The peacefulness at the beginning makes you want to slow down and look around for a while. But then you hit songs like THE MENAGERIE, BITS AND PIECES, and THE OFFICE OF NAVAL INTELLIGENCE, which very much remind me of early Halo games and force you to move forward.

Some movie soundtracks follow this formula as well. If you are looking for similar songs, I might suggest looking at some Sci Fi films like Blade Runner or Aliens. I personally like the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis. Songs like BLADE RUNNER BLUES, LOVE THEME, and MEMORIES OF GREEN invoke similar feelings for me. The END THEME has the driving beat, but otherwise there are really are no drummy songs unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

=d
Hmm yes as I am listening to the OST I feel it's hard to put a single on it I believe it would be consider ambient Jazz~?
One of the difficulties about trying to classify this soundtrack within a particular genre of music is that the orchestration is fairly unique. While you have instruments that you might find in a lot of jazz sets - saxaphone, piano, electric and bass guitar, drum set - you also quite frequently have full symphonic orchestration, complete with string sections, woodwinds, brass, and percussion of different varieties. Moreover, while their are jazz tones and themes throughout the soundtrack, they are woven back and forth with militaristic themes suited to the Halo experience. Simply put, I think this combination puts this soundtrack in something of a category of its own, which is one of the reasons it's so enjoyable to listen to - it's pretty unique, and done extremely well!
Thank you all for the answers!

Halo 3 ODST OST is definitely unique. Which is a good and a bad thing at the same time =/ but it's ok.

Ambient jazz was a good suggestion, but most of those songs have a singer...

Oh well, i'll search some more =)
I have a few additional suggestions for you:

There is a group called Marbin that was one of the originators of ambient jazz. You may want to check them out. Their songs “Rust” and “Burning Match” both have an ODST feel to them. Though their live stuff does sound more like regular jazz. Marbin does have guitars, drums, and sax (like with the songs on ODST), but no piano that I've heard.

Another recommendation is The Mark Koch Trio. They have a song called “Red, Blue & Green” which has the feel as some of the ODST songs. The group is fronted by a pianist, so you know that songs will definitely have that instrument. The group does jump into contemporary and modern jazz, however, which is similar to ambient jazz, but is not the same. And the band can be a bit harder to find.

I could recommend the group Enigma. They are much easier to find, but a lot of their songs have vocals. That said, you may want to look at “Sunrise” or “Callas Went Away” though.

Another category of music that you may want to look into is called "dark jazz" or "doom jazz". It’s a spin-off/off-shoot of the ambient jazz movement. It has a more a down-tempo sound and has well darker tones. Groups that are popular in that category are Kammerflimmer Kollektief, Bohren & Der Club of Gore, and The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble. Bohren & Der Club of Gore have songs called “Prowler” and “Midnight Black Earth” which have a similar sound to the songs on ODST…at least the calmer songs. Kilimanjaro DarkJazz Ensemble has songs like “Shadows” and “Avian Lung”.

Another band that is popular in dark jazz is a group called Somewhere off Jazz Street. They have songs like “Dusk”, “Fly”, “Ghost”, “Tonight” and “Collateral Damage” which are all similar to ODST's calmer songs in mood and character.

And well, I already mentioned Vangelis. I still recommend the Blade Runner Soundtrack if you haven't checked it out yet.

=d
How bout SOUNDTRACK. Cause it's a video game SOUNDTRACK. (no hate intended, still interesting).
Seems like I'm the only one who knows. It's "That-Epic-Halo-Music-Done-By-Marty-Who-Is-The-Best-Compser-Ever-Which-Fits-Halo's-EPIC-EPIC-Games."
Quote:
Seems like I'm the only one who knows. It's "That-Epic-Halo-Music-Done-By-Marty-Who-Is-The-Best-Compser-Ever-Which-Fits-Halo's-EPIC-EPIC-Games."
Epic Games as in Gears of War?
Quote:
How bout SOUNDTRACK. Cause it's a video game SOUNDTRACK. (no hate intended, still interesting).
'Soundtrack' is not even a music genre =/
Quote:
Quote:
Lol XD No, HALO IS THE MOST EPIC FRANCHISE EVER! :D
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol XD No, HALO IS THE MOST EPIC FRANCHISE EVER! :D
Haha agreed! :D
Don't ask me why, but when I listen to "Just in Time" by "There for Tomorrow", it reminds me of ODST a little. It also reminds me of somewhere I've seen before, I see a tree in a futuristic world similar to New Mombasa, but I don't know where it is or what its from. It always makes me think. Its a good song, and its part of a good album, you should listen to it! :)
Quote:
Don't ask me why, but when I listen to "Just in Time" by "There for Tomorrow", it reminds me of ODST a little. It also reminds me of somewhere I've seen before, I see a tree in a futuristic world similar to New Mombasa, but I don't know where it is or what its from. It always makes me think. Its a good song, and its part of a good album, you should listen to it! :)
It's and okay song....... doesn't remind me of ODST in any way..... but that's just me.
The closest thing I could fine was from and Artist called "Ambient Jazz Ensemble" song s like "quiet hero" and https://open.spotify.com/track/6zNojyLRp2lDMT2yOzy7eo different artist
Umm, this is like... four years old. But I love this game so much. Did you ever find an official classification of the music? The way I look at it, it's a hybrid of symphonic smooth jazz. But it's very beautiful!

Edit: These forums were dead back in 2013? Just now saw all of the replies. Lol! Still my opinion was a thought.
Just because this has been revived (2012, jeez :| ), I have found similar sounding music.
There are quite a few that sound similar in this collection of, as they call it, Psychill or Space Synth music.
Epicruos - Metropolis 2.1

This one I'm not too sure, probably a bit too upbeat for the ODST feel.
Spacemind - Rainy Days

Sorry if this I'm not meant to be posting here due to the thread being quite old. Just trying to help :)
Thank you all for the answers!

Halo 3 ODST OST is definitely unique. Which is a good and a bad thing at the same time =/ but it's ok.

Ambient jazz was a good suggestion, but most of those songs have a singer...

Oh well, i'll search some more =)
It's going to be hard to find something similar. Marty's work was pretty spectacular with ODST
I know this is SUPER late, but if anyone on this thread is still watching, but I found some stuff that's similar to the ODST Sax stuff:

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Nightwolf - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJwWDO3IrMI&list=PLS1uE9jNcqmeEhBb0kUHRQBk2BooESG6g

Look at more of Nightwolf's work, I have sound some more of that ambient Sax stuff from ODST that just hits your soul on their channel as well. Hope this helps anyone that is looking for the ODST jazz stuff!

That is, if anyone even sees this.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2