Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo original trilogy + Reach Lore Discussion

OP BisonFan9597

Now that I've finished all Bungie-made "Halo"s, I was left with two big questions that I'd be very greatful if someone could clarify:

1. What was so important about the "package" (Cortana with vital information) that was SO important to take out of Reach? Why did it assured our chances of survival against the covenant? If it was Halo´s location... why? What was in Halo that would help us fight the covenant? What was that information??

2. HOW THE HECK did the FLOOD survive the first firing of the Halo array?

I'll go through my reasoning about every game:

1. In Halo CE I understood that the Pillar of Autumn was being chased by the covenant and they found Halo by mere CHANCE. The Covenant were just pursuing because it had Cortana and with "her" the location of planet Earth. With that I obviously deduced that it was just to anihilate our species. So THAT was what was at stake.

2. Then in 2 we are introduced to Covenant religion and that it is (in the end) a mass suicide + murder plan. Then, that the Earth has a Forerunner artifact that will lead the Prophets to the Ark (and that may be the true reason why they went to earth in the first place, not to anihilate us). They try to fire a Halo but fail and return to Earth for the artifact and the way to the ark.

3. They succeed in getting to the Ark, but there they finally fail once again and then the last remnants of The Flood are obliterated in the faulty Halo activation, along with the ring itself and the ark.

4. (REACH) Covenant invading Reach (cuz its a military outpost or cuz it has an artifact??) and then you retrieve A PACKAGE and take it to the Pillar o Autumn... Then comes my first question. The game never states that the package contains the coordinates to Halo, but most people think it did.
A lot of that information is in the books, so there are some canonical issues when comparing the book information to the game.

To answer your first question, in The Fall of Reach, Cortana had the coordinates to Halo, so the slip space jump wasn't really random, it was calculated using the coordinates Cortana found from an artifact acquired by the Chief in Cote d'Azur on Sigma Octanus IV (technically it was a star chart). As far as her being the key to humanity's survival, she was vital to Operation Red Flag, which was a hail Mary attempt to capture a high level prophet in order to force a cease fire. Without her, the mission would have been scrubbed. It ended up being scrubbed anyway when the Covenant showed up (see what I mean about canonical issues when comparing the book to the game?).

To answer your second question, the Flood survived the first Halo Array firing because the Forerunners stored specimens on the Halo installations for further study. On Installation 04, they were accidentally released by the Covenant and then encountered by humans who were thinking they were about to find a weapons cache. On Installation 05, the Covenant accidentally released them again (they obviously know nothing about containment).

To answer your third question that you posed during your reasoning for the Reach game, the Covenant attacked Reach because a tracker was stealthily attached to the Iroquis as it was leaving Sigma Octanus IV, so they were able to follow it to Reach.
A lot of that information is in the books, so there are some canonical issues when comparing the book information to the game.

To answer your first question, in The Fall of Reach, Cortana had the coordinates to Halo, so the slip space jump wasn't really random, it was calculated using the coordinates Cortana found from an artifact acquired by the Chief in Cote d'Azur on Sigma Octanus IV (technically it was a star chart). As far as her being the key to humanity's survival, she was vital to Operation Red Flag, which was a hail Mary attempt to capture a high level prophet in order to force a cease fire. Without her, the mission would have been scrubbed. It ended up being scrubbed anyway when the Covenant showed up (see what I mean about canonical issues when comparing the book to the game?).

To answer your second question, the Flood survived the first Halo Array firing because the Forerunners stored specimens on the Halo installations for further study. On Installation 04, they were accidentally released by the Covenant and then encountered by humans who were thinking they were about to find a weapons cache. On Installation 05, the Covenant accidentally released them again (they obviously know nothing about containment).

To answer your third question that you posed during your reasoning for the Reach game, the Covenant attacked Reach because a tracker was stealthily attached to the Iroquis as it was leaving Sigma Octanus IV, so they were able to follow it to Reach.
First of all, many thanks to you for the answer.

Yeah, it seems there are inconsitencies. In the game humans did a blind jump and didnt know what was Halo, just that Covenant went nuts when by pure chance and due to the purse of the humans found the ring too. Even Sgt. Johnson says at the start of the Autumn mission that ''the Covenant seem to find very valuable that thing (Halo) so its valuable to me too, we aint gonna let them have it'' more or less that.

The other thing is... if the coordinates were extracted prior the events of reach and in a completely different place... what was the doctor ''adding'' to the package in the lab at the end of reach that was so important and took so long. It seemed like she was downloading info from the artifact but I dont have any idea what was that info and that is my main doubt.

Oh and by the way... is Gravemind THE FLOOD (or the conscience of the flood as a whole)? does it ''resurrect'' there are enough flood active?

Yeah, it seems there are inconsitencies. In the game humans did a blind jump and didnt know what was Halo, just that Covenant went nuts when by pure chance and due to the purse of the humans found the ring too. Even Sgt. Johnson says at the start of the Autumn mission that ''the Covenant seem to find very valuable that thing (Halo) so its valuable to me too, we aint gonna let them have it'' more or less that.

The other thing is... if the coordinates were extracted prior the events of reach and in a completely different place... what was the doctor ''adding'' to the package in the lab at the end of reach that was so important and took so long. It seemed like she was downloading info from the artifact but I dont have any idea what was that info and that is my main doubt.

Oh and by the way... is Gravemind THE FLOOD (or the conscience of the flood as a whole)? does it ''resurrect'' there are enough flood active?
I'd have to check my Halsey's Personal Journal to see if it's mentioned there, but I assumed it was the intrusion software needed for Operation Red Flag.

A Gravemind is created when the Flood has sufficient biomass to reach the Coordinated Stage. For reasons unknown (at least I don't know), whenever a Gravemind is formed, it retains the collective memories of the Flood as a whole though out all of Living Time.

Hope that answers your questions!

I'd have to check my Halsey's Personal Journal to see if it's mentioned there, but I assumed it was the intrusion software needed for Operation Red Flag.

A Gravemind is created when the Flood has sufficient biomass to reach the Coordinated Stage. For reasons unknown (at least I don't know), whenever a Gravemind is formed, it retains the collective memories of the Flood as a whole though out all of Living Time.

Might not be correct (at least a theory) but the graveminds may retain memories via the link to the Precursors technology of neural-physics (that they somehow reconnect to after gaining enough mass and intelligence?) which interacts with space and time or something....

Might not be correct (at least a theory) but the graveminds may retain memories via the link to the Precursors technology of neural-physics (that they somehow reconnect to after gaining enough mass and intelligence?) which interacts with space and time or something....
Yeah that sounds familiar.. kinda like the Domain being based on neural physics. The Flood and the Domain are Precursor in origin so that would be very plausible