Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo PC and Halo 2 PC FAQ (Please read)

OP James060394

Since there has been a number of repeat topics regarding Halo CE and Halo 2 for the PC, I thought I would create a single topic that condenses many of the frequently asked questions for active users or new users to consult before creating a new topic. If you have a separate question not added here, please comment below and the FAQ will be updated accordingly. I hope this helps any users out there interested in the PC versions of Halo CE or Halo 2.

Both Halo PC, Custom Edition and Halo 2:

Where can I get Halo PC, Halo MAC, Custom Edition or Halo 2?

Halo PC, Mac and Halo 2 can only be purchased by a physical disc copy, which comes with a unique CD Key. The game can then be installed onto your PC.

Can I download/purchase a digital copy of Halo PC, Mac or Halo 2 for PC online?

Halo PC, Mac and Halo 2 are only available via a physical disc. There is NO digital copy of Halo PC, Mac or Halo 2 available online.

What is Halo 'Custom Edition'?

Halo Custom Edition is a free add on for Halo PC supported by Gearbox/Bungie that allows users to create and play user created content. It features heavily modified Halo content, custom user made campaigns, conversions of modern Halo multiplayer maps and more. You MUST have a Halo PC/Mac CD key to install Custom Edition.

Halo PC and Mac ONLY:

Can I use a Halo PC key for Halo Mac (and vice versa)?

No. Halo PC CD keys can only be used for Halo PC for Windows. Likewise, Halo Mac CD keys will only work for the Mac version of Halo CE. The CD keys have a different combination and you must purchase the respective copy for your system.

Can I run Halo PC on my Mac?

Yes via Bootcamp or a virtual desktop. If you intend to get the best experience, run Halo PC via Bootcamp on a native Windows installation.

Does Halo PC run on Windows 'X'?

Halo PC currently runs on all known versions of Windows to date (10 as of this writing).

Can I play with Mac users with the PC copy?

Yes. Halo PC and Halo Mac are cross platform with the latest patch installed. Both use the same servers and can play with each other online. Mac users will need to update with the Universal Binary to connect to PC servers.

Why is the Mac version more expensive than the PC copy?

Despite being the same game, the Mac version is much more difficult to get a hold of and as such, it commands a higher price than the more readily available PC version. If you want native MacOS support, get the Mac version. Otherwise, you can run the PC version via Bootcamp and acquire it for a cheaper price than its Mac equivalent.

Can I still buy Halo PC/Mac brand new?

Since Halo PC/Mac released in 2003, it will be extremely difficult to acquire a new copy. You will have to shop around to try and find a new copy.

Can I use an Xbox Controller for Halo PC/Mac?

Yes. You can plug in an Xbox 360 controller for the PC version of Halo and it will recognise and allow you to configure your controls to your liking.

Can I enable aim assist with a controller for Halo PC/Mac?

Open up the console and type in:

player_magnetism 1
player_autoaim 1
set_pitch_rate .1
set_yaw_rate .1

This will enable aim assist that you have in the Xbox version of Halo CE.

Can I play Halo PC/Mac online?

Yes. Halo PC/Mac is the first official online Halo game predating Halo 2 on Xbox in 2004 and the servers are still maintained by Bungie to this day.

Can I play co-op or split-screen on Halo PC/Mac?

No. Halo PC/Mac does not support co-op or split-screen in any way.

Why are there some missing graphic effects from the Xbox version of Halo CE?

For some reason, on modern NVIDIA GPU's Halo PC is missing some graphics effects (Active camouflage, lighting etc), all of which are present natively on AMD GPU's.

Can I re-enable these missing effects?

Yes, some of the effects can be fixed by updating to the final patch released by Bungie in 2014.

Can I use the same CD key for LAN/Online play on a second PC?

No. Each user will need a separate CD key for both LAN and Online play.

I am shooting a player but none of the shots are hitting. What is going on?

Halo PC requires you to lead your shots due to its netcode limitations as a result of supporting dial up. Halo Custom Edition servers that were running SAPP managed to fix this issue.

My screen seems zoomed in, what is going on?

Halo PC/Mac has a lower default Field of View (FOV) than the Xbox original. This can be adjusted to your liking or reset via third party mods.

Does Halo PC/Mac support widescreen?

Not officially, although there are mods out there that do enable widescreen support and you can force resolutions such as 1080p (1920x1080).

Halo 2 PC (Vista)

Can I still play Halo 2 Vista online?

Officially no. The Halo 2 Vista servers were shutdown a while ago.

Can I run Halo 2 on Windows 'X'?

Halo 2 Vista can run on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10.

Why isn't Halo 2 working on Windows 'X'?

Make sure you are running Halo 2 on one of the supported versions of Windows. Download and update the Games for Windows Live client before launching Halo 2.

Can I play Halo 2 in co-op or split-screen?

No. Officially Halo 2 cannot be played in co-op or split-screen on PC. There are a few mods out there for online co-op but it was incomplete due to netcode desync issues with scripted sequences and split-screen despite being in the PC code is broken and inaccessible.

Can I still get achievements for Halo 2?

Yes although they do not count towards your Halo waypoint score or any Halo: Reach related milestones.

I can't install the game despite using a genuine CD key with a copy I purchased?

Halo 2 Vista can only be installed a maximum of 5 times per CD Key. Please note this includes uninstalling/reinstalling the game regardless of the situation. For example, you install the game with a fresh CD key, you have 4 installs left. If you then have to reinstall the game for whatever reason such as a new install of Windows, you will have 3 uses left. Once you have used all 5, you can no longer use the CD key you have. You will need to purchase a new copy.

Can I use an Xbox controller?

Yes. Halo 2 Vista supports an Xbox 360 controller out of the box as well as the Xbox One controller. The game plays almost identically to the OG Xbox version.

My game is running erratically but I have over 60fps? What is going on?

Halo 2 Vista becomes incredibly glitchy when the game runs at over 60fps. You must forcibly enable VSync in your GPU control panel to lock the FPS to 60. If you have a 120/144hz monitor, you will need to use a 3rd party program to lock the FPS to no more than 60fps.

My mouse feels sluggish when aiming?

For some reason Halo 2 Vista has mouse acceleration on and has some sort of input lag when using a mouse, making it somewhat more difficult to play using a mouse and keyboard. You are much better off using an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller, where these issues do not persist. Halo PC/Mac do not suffer from any sort of mouse and keyboard issues and play fine as a PC/Mac games in their own right.

The screen seems zoomed in?

Halo 2 Vista, like Halo PC has a lower Field of View (FOV) than the OG Xbox counterparts. Like Halo PC, there are third party mods that can allow you to modify this to your liking or set it back to the Xbox original.
Good info to look at. We need more players on PC.
halo well no run on windows10 help
jimdeeus wrote:
halo well no run on windows10 help
What issue are you having?
Nice job going above and beyond with that information!
Thank you, I'll try to add to it as and when more questions reappear.
You're welcome! I have no doubt anyone seeing the post, appreciates the information
https://youtu.be/bLqPBLGoCLU

https://youtu.be/UsQZjM0r0AA
BxSouIjah wrote:
https://youtu.be/bLqPBLGoCLU https://youtu.be/UsQZjM0r0AA
Just saying, you can now post links since you're rank Marine now.

Oh yeah! If you go to the official website of Project Cartographer, you can download the base game with the installer.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Morlin03 wrote:
Please don’t spam. This thread is for people who require help with Halo 1 and 2 for the PC.
Hello everyone,
I have an original copy of Halo I found in a cabinet years ago. I played it on Windows 7 I recall, I believe I had a few issues I worked out, don't remember the specifics.
I also have played it on a couple of installations of Windows 10.
I currently am trying to play on a Dell laptop with an Intel i5, Win 10. I have had success in the past on this machine, but after reinstalling the OS on an SSD, I cannot get the game to be playable, as I hear the music, but I am viewing my desktop, although Halo is maximized.
When I close and relaunch the game, I am given a problem message "We are sorry, but you computer's video hardware is below the recommended spec for this game".
I have installed the last update by Bungie, btw.
Thanks, Dan
You're welcome! I have no doubt anyone seeing the post, appreciates the information
When searching this topic on Google, a lot of the results are old, like 2008, with the more recent ones being 2014. BUT, if you select within the last year, this seems to be the best thing out there recently on this topic.
dan121131 wrote:
When searching this topic on Google, a lot of the results are old, like 2008, with the more recent ones being 2014. BUT, if you select within the last year, this seems to be the best thing out there recently on this topic.
It's a common error with integrated GPU's, though you only mention it's a Dell laptop so I can only assume that's what you're using.

My best recommendation would be to ensure that everything is fully up to date i.e Drivers from Intel, Windows Updates, .Net Framework 4.5 etc as this would be the best way to resolve the issue. Alternatively, the game may be trying to launch at a resolution your Dell Laptops monitor may not support. Try forcing the game to launch at a certain resolution by right clicking on the Halo shortcut and entering -vidmode XXXX,XXX,XX into the target field. This would be Video height,width,refreshrate. An example could be -vidmode 1600,900,60. Of course, ensure that your monitor supports your chosen resolution.

Finally, if the above does not work, try launching the game in windowed mode and see if the screen shows up then. In some cases, this may work and then you can tweak the settings from the Halo PC menu itself accordingly. To launch in Windowed mode, like before, go to the Halo PC shortcut and enter -window in the target field. This will force the game to launch in windowed mode.

I have seen video's dated in February 2018 with Halo PC running on Integrated Graphics but I'm not too familiar with how to resolve issues with integrated GPU's since I've only ever played the game with dedicated graphics cards.
dan121131 wrote:
It's a common error with integrated GPU's, though you only mention it's a Dell laptop so I can only assume that's what you're using.

My best recommendation would be to ensure that everything is fully up to date i.e Drivers from Intel, Windows Updates, .Net Framework 4.5 etc as this would be the best way to resolve the issue. Alternatively, the game may be trying to launch at a resolution your Dell Laptops monitor may not support. Try forcing the game to launch at a certain resolution by right clicking on the Halo shortcut and entering -vidmode XXXX,XXX,XX into the target field. This would be Video height,width,refreshrate. An example could be -vidmode 1600,900,60. Of course, ensure that your monitor supports your chosen resolution.

Finally, if the above does not work, try launching the game in windowed mode and see if the screen shows up then. In some cases, this may work and then you can tweak the settings from the Halo PC menu itself accordingly. To launch in Windowed mode, like before, go to the Halo PC shortcut and enter -window in the target field. This will force the game to launch in windowed mode.

I have seen video's dated in February 2018 with Halo PC running on Integrated Graphics but I'm not too familiar with how to resolve issues with integrated GPU's since I've only ever played the game with dedicated graphics cards.
Spot on my friend, Intel integrated graphics. My desktop pc build met catastrophe after some recent lightning, unfortunately.
Windowed mode solved the issue right away, and I assume adding resolution parameters to the target field may just work as well.
Wish I had thought of such a simple solution,I was way overthinking it.
Thanks. I am going to dig into this more now that I am past that first roadblock.
James you'e a real one, appreciate it.