Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Halo Reach, 2 and 3 Campaign on Windows 10

OP VividHumo3r

Hey community!

I'm more of a Campaign kinda guy, and never really enjoyed multiplayer. How could I go about grabbing these games on PC? Willing to pay, but obviously free is better.
Halo CE and Halo 2 Vista are your only two options. Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 were never released on PC.
Hey community!

I'm more of a Campaign kinda guy, and never really enjoyed multiplayer. How could I go about grabbing these games on PC? Willing to pay, but obviously free is better.
In addition to what Legendary said, you can play Halo Wars: Definitive Edition on PC if you’d like. It’s basically the complete edition of the original Halo Wars with cleaner graphics. Since you only want to play campaign, you shouldn’t have issues. Multiplayer, whether that’s co-op or PvP, is completely broken because that game’s online services simply don’t work most of the time.
tuhin94 wrote:
Hey community!

In addition to what Legendary said, you can play Halo Wars: Definitive Edition on PC if you’d like. It’s basically the complete edition of the original Halo Wars with cleaner graphics. Since you only want to play campaign, you shouldn’t have issues. Multiplayer, whether that’s co-op or PvP, is completely broken because that game’s online services simply don’t work most of the time.
That's fair. I thought he was referring to the main storyline for Halo: CE, 2, 3, 4, and 5
tuhin94 wrote:
Hey community!

That's fair. I thought he was referring to the main storyline for Halo: CE, 2, 3, 4, and 5
Yeah, that's true. But I figured more information can't hurt.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Hey community!

Yeah, that's true. But I figured more information can't hurt.
You're right, the more info, the better :)
Hey community!

Yeah I know, especially Halo 3's. Not so much 2s, because I can watch the cutscenes whenever, and only a few missions are fun enough on legendary, but fair enough. Most missions are pretty fair on heroic,

I really badly want 3 to be ported, maybe with halo 6 they can do what halo wars did, where they add in halo wars de in with wars 2. Maybe 6 can come with 3 definitive, (Most logical for consoles, because if they did 2 everyone would be left out)
Won't happen because 1. Microsoft by and large gave up on PC gaming a while ago and 2. they jealously guard the Halo franchise as the killer app for driving Xbox sales.
Won't happen because 1. Microsoft by and large gave up on PC gaming a while ago and 2. they jealously guard the Halo franchise as the killer app for driving Xbox sales.
I don't think they ever gave up on PC Gaming, they're just focused elsewhere. And yeah, Halo is a bit of a big deal for Microsoft and Xbox
They ‘gave up’ back then because they realised they did not understand the PC market at all and thought they could force console policies and restrictions onto the market e.g Xbox Live Gold being madatory, CD key can only be used 5 times before being useless etc. The GFWL overlay was a resource hog as well as being buggy and broken for a large number of consumers. Ultimately, the damage was done and Microsoft backed off.

I don’t know if you’ve heard/aware but all Xbox exclusives are set to release on the Windows 10 Store as well, which appears set to include Halo: Infinite. Major titles already released/confirmed include Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 7, Halo Wars 1 and 2 etc. So far, my only gripe with this second attempt is the ridiculous hardware requirements (vs a base Xbox One), the Windows Store being somewhat buggy and the way we cannot try to fix issues ourselves. In one instance, a known bug that rendered Gears 4 completely unplayable was not fixed for 4 months.

On the other hand, Microsoft have added some nice features such as Cross-Platform support, Cross-Buy and Cloud Saves, which are all nice if you have friends on the Xbox/PC. At the end of the day, game sales are what makes the most money (not consoles) so to push the game to as many people on Xbox and PC is a solid strategy. It still needs work, but games like Halo: Infinite can thrive on PC if they are supported correctly. Halo PC/CE, whilst not perfect, is a good example of this. The game is still alive and supported unlike a bad port like Halo 2 Vista.
I had not heard that Microsoft had decided to release Xbox titles for Windows 10. For many years I had held out hope that they would continue to support PC gaming but after GFWL dried up, I realized that they were focused on Xbox and since that made the most business sense, it was no surprise. It also fit Microsoft's long established habit of abruptly pulling out of various hardware and software ventures (Zune, networking, peripherals, etc) when things weren't working out.

I wonder if their getting back into PC gaming is a sign of how they view the long term prospects of the consoles. I think both Microsoft and Sony had dreams that the console would be the ultimate hub for all gaming and media in the home but there are just too many other devices and services picking away at that vision.
I had not heard that Microsoft had decided to release Xbox titles for Windows 10. For many years I had held out hope that they would continue to support PC gaming but after GFWL dried up, I realized that they were focused on Xbox and since that made the most business sense, it was no surprise. It also fit Microsoft's long established habit of abruptly pulling out of various hardware and software ventures (Zune, networking, peripherals, etc) when things weren't working out.

I wonder if their getting back into PC gaming is a sign of how they view the long term prospects of the consoles. I think both Microsoft and Sony had dreams that the console would be the ultimate hub for all gaming and media in the home but there are just too many other devices and services picking away at that vision.
Yeah, they’ve basically returned now. Windows 10 gamers do not need an Xbox Live Gold membership either to play with their friends on the Xbox One, it’s completely free. Cross platform play is currently available on Gears 4, Halo Wars 2 (some modes), Forza Horizon 3 and Forza 7.

As for the system requirements I mentioned, the Xbox games require a powerful PC to run so I think this could cause problems for would be buyers as not everyone has a high end PC.

I agree. In my opinion, all gamers should be able to play together regardless of the hardware in third party games, with 1st party games remaining exclusives. The only exception would be the PC, whereby some genre’s (FPS/RTS) may be difficult to balance competitively without allowing console users to use a M+K as well. Alternatively, a small warning that users are about to join a cross platform playlist could suffice. I’m glad Fortnite and Rocket League have attempted to reach this goal (Xbox, PC, Switch) as well as Microsofts push for this as well with their Cross-Platform support (Xbox, PC). I would love to play Halo: Infinite at native 4K, HDR at 144hz with my Xbox friends.

As for the OP:

Halo PC - Physical copy only. Can be found easily for purchase. Current version of the game is 1.10 - supported by Bungie and the Halo PC community.

Halo Mac - Physical copy only. Due to a smaller print run, this version has a higher average price than Halo PC. Can play with PC players when patched to latest version.

Halo Custom Edition - Free download that allows for additional campaigns, custom maps etc. Requires a Halo PC CD key to install.

Halo 2 Vista - Physical copy only. CD key can only be used 5 times before it cannot be installed anymore. Be careful buying a used copy as a result of this. Official Multiplayer servers are currently offline though LAN and Campaign can still earn you achievements.

Halo Wars Definitive Edition - Available digitally via the Windows 10 Store or through Steam though Windows Store players cannot play with Steam players, be warned of this. It is NOT cross platform with the Xbox One version.

Halo Wars 2 - Windows 10 Store only. Supports Cross-platform play for campaign and some modes with XB1. You also will get a digital copy for XB1 when purchased.

Halo 5: Forge - Windows 10 Store only. Has its own unique achievements. Glorified Forge mode with a custom games browser. Free to play.

Hope the above helps.