Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

[Locked] Has 343 been good to Halo?

OP JGLADIATORS

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So I have a few thoughts for you guys...
I am a HUGE Halo fan and have been pretty much since the glory days. Everyone knows that Bungie and Microsoft did a bit of a split back in 2007 after Halo 3 but teamed up again to make Halo: Reach. In my opinion: Bungie DEFINITELY made the best Halo games and absolutely nothing compares to the original trilogy and Reach.

I like very much and enjoy Halo 4 and 5 but for me it just doesn't feel quite the same as it did. They're awesome games but they don't carry the same darkness and authenticity that made Halo so great to begin with.

So here's the question. Would you rather that Microsoft would just have stopped after Halo: Reach (apart from future remasters etc) and just left the series alone or are you happy with what 343 has done to the franchise and maybe you would even argue they've done a better job to Halo?

Let me know.
The campaigns I agree with could have been better. AS for the multiplayer 4's was trying to appeal to CoD fans, however I feel that 5's is actually pretty good. 343 have expanded the lore in the Halo universe, e.g. Banished. I think 343 have done a good job so far, they have learnt from their mistakes, they will be adding co-op play back into future Halo games, and will definitely include more chief.

Overall 343 have done a good job, at least they know there is room for improvement.
In some aspects yhea in others no but to be honest they're doing it well
They've made a lot of questionable decisions, and some abhorrent buisiness choices, but at the same time, they've delivered what I feel to be the most emotionally gratifying storyline in the franchise with Halo 4, as well as Halo Wars 2 which, while short, was a worthy entry to the franchise and a fun diversion.

I think the studio is capable of great things, I just hope Halo 5 was enough of a wake-up call for them to tap into their full potential.
343 is a new company and is trying to take a big franchise and is having to live up to the enormous expectations nowadays. There are some things that they do that are questionable but the originals had some bad points as well. There are also new things that 4 and 5 have that I like better than the originals. I think 343 is doing a good job so far, they just need to find the right balance between campaign and multiplayer.
I like how 343 is handling Halo in certain ways.

I think they did great with Halo 4's story and Halo 5's multiplayer, but haven't made a complete package yet. But like previously stated, they are learning from their mistakes, and it seems that they are listening to the community.
if i could have known that this is what is going to happen to Halo. Then i would have liked to just Halo to end with Halo: Reach.

but still, it seems that 343i is starting to get on the right direction and i like to think that Halo has already hit the rock bottom and that the only way is up.
Yes, I prefer it than Bungie. Why? Because they are trying to fix all the incongruences made by Bungie with the story of Halo Universe, like Halo Reach and Halo The Fall of Reach Novel. And they are making all connected for those who loves Halo universe franchise. I thinks they are trying to get along with Halo fans but the nostalgia is the only problems that is making it so difficult.
Could have been better I guess..maybe a new fresh idea is needed like a entire game as a grunt: totally a good idea.
I like the fact that we are getting more Halo games, but 343 is doing a bad job at making them.
In my opinion, if is Halo, I like that, I never was disappointed for any Halo
I think they have been good to Halo in some ways, but not so good in others.

I definitely feel like 343 have opened up the expanded universe in so many more ways than Bungie did, and they have tied up a lot of loose ends that Bungie had left behind. I love how in-depth 343 have gone with the universe in terms of Post-Covenant War content. Seeing and hearing about the conflict on Sanghelios was immensely gratifying to me, and the fact that 343 is willing to create tales for many of the characters that we have grown to know and love over the years is incredible (Shadow of Intent is one of my favorite written pieces EVER because Rtas 'Vadum = life). Granted, Bungie didn't really have much of a chance to fully flesh out huge amounts of the universe due to the end of their partnership with Microsoft, but I feel that 343 are doing a great job with the universe that Bungie created.

Some things am less enthusiastic about. I don't really like the new designs for the Covenant races. Some of these I don't mind too much (ie. the Jackals) but I really didn't like the new Elite and Grunt designs in Halo 4. I still think that Reach was the best depiction of Covenant races and I wish 343 had stayed loyal to that game's design for them. I much prefer the classic Halo games for their art styles, although I am hopeful that 343 may be incorporating older designs into their games considering what we've seen in Halo Wars 2. And I still don't completely buy how the UNSC was able to gain such strength in the post-war climate in such a short amount of time considering how we were nearly made extinct by Halo 3. I like that 343 have tried to explain their such in technological prowess as the result of incorporation of Forerunner designs in their starships ect. but it still seems a little off to me.

In terms of actual games and gameplay, I really like 343's spin on Halo 5. I love the fast-paced feel of Halo, and honestly it seems like a necessity given the type of games that are on the market these days. Halo 5 plays so darn well and I have a blast nearly every time I play it. And if I ever feel like playing classic Halo, I just hop over to MCC or Reach. I'm not keen on micro-transactions, however I feel like this was the price to pay for us receiving all Halo 5 monthly content for free. Also the Halo 5 campaign was... meh, as I'm sure most people can agree. Can't comment on Halo 4 too much as it was, in terms of gameplay, very similar to Reach. Halo 4's campaign though was stellar, in my opinion though - seriously the best storytelling thus far in a Halo game.

Overall, I think 343 Industries are doing a great job of shouldering the immense weight of the Halo universe, and I feel like they are quite worthy of carrying the torch. Some things are not done so well but we must remember, Bungie was not flawless either, and 343 is a relatively new developer on top of that. There are a few things they can improve on (well, more than a few things) but I hold hope that they are listening to our feedback and will be able to deliver us an incredible experience with Halo 6.

Sorry for the LONG post everyone.
Not especially... but it feels like they're getting there. I have full confidence that H6 will be the best game they've made yet. Based off of all the backlash they've received with their previous releases, the writing is practically on the walls... They've been fairly transparent about some considerable H6 details, seem to understand the strengths and weaknesses of H5, and I think they're well aware of what needs to be done moving forward, at this point.

I have a hunch that we will see their best effort yet, with the next release. They need to get the content offerings right at launch. They've messed this up basically 3 times now. It's so important that the Halo fanbase, whether competitive or casual, have their desired playlist-offerings and play-styles available when the game drops. You only get one chance at first impressions with a new game. And the majority of players won't have any issue leaving your game if they can't play the modes they've come to expect out of your product.
Halo is My favorite game just like all of you guys and gals. But since 343 took over questionable changes in the Art design and the Sound effects have been changed. Ever since the release of Halo Wars 2 I think 343 has gained some of the trust of the Community back but certainly not all of it. My toughts on 343 are pretty neutral since Halo Wars 2.
The greatest thing 343i ever did for Halo was add NBNS to Reach. After that it's been all downhill, questionable, cancerous decisions from them everytime.
Is gas good for a diesel engine?
I wish they kept the game to its raw and grittyness formula it had that's what made it great now even the armour gets outsourced bungie had flaws but at least they enjoyed there work
I feel as far as story goes, they should have let chiefs story line how it ended in Halo 3 and maybe followed a new characters story. Halo 4 and 5 have great campaigns but definitely don't compare to the first three games.
Halo 4 was perfect in my opinion. It had the best campaign and finished Halo 3's non ending. I am one of the rare people who loves Halo 4's multiplayer. Art design wasn't bad except the Elites. Halo 3 had the best looking Elites, since then, they keep look worse and worse. Halo 5 ruined the story of Halo 4 with a predictable story using Master Chief again, he should have been replaced with a new hero. Let Master Chief rest already. He went through a trilogy and then woke up to have one more story.

Halo 5 multiplayer isn't bad except for the lack of loadouts and AA. That is what I loved in Halo 4 BTB: I could choose exactly what I wanted. Halo 5 BTB is all just BR fights and don't let me get started on Warzone. Warzone is not fun for casual gamers like BTB is.

In summary, Halo 4 was a high point and Halo 5 a low point. Halo 6 could go either way, but I am not getting my hopes up.
So I have a few thoughts for you guys...
I am a HUGE Halo fan and have been pretty much since the glory days. Everyone knows that Bungie and Microsoft did a bit of a split back in 2007 after Halo 3 but teamed up again to make Halo: Reach. In my opinion: Bungie DEFINITELY made the best Halo games and absolutely nothing compares to the original trilogy and Reach.

I like very much and enjoy Halo 4 and 5 but for me it just doesn't feel quite the same as it did. They're awesome games but they don't carry the same darkness and authenticity that made Halo so great to begin with.

So here's the question. Would you rather that Microsoft would just have stopped after Halo: Reach (apart from future remasters etc) and just left the series alone or are you happy with what 343 has done to the franchise and maybe you would even argue they've done a better job to Halo?

Let me know.
I do agree that the bungie games were better than the 343 ones, but at the same time 343 has been good to halo. Halo 4 was amazing, and while it had its flaws, it was definitely a great game, and a great halo game. Halo wars 2 was also a great game. The only real thing 343 has slipped up on is halo 5, with the req packs and the horrible story, etc, you could bring up mcc as well, but they have (mostly) fixed it.

i don't think they should have stopped after reach and i do think 343 has been good to halo, after all, they've only been making halo for a few years now, and sure 343 have made some mistakes (namely halo 5 and mcc) but even Bungie made mistakes when they made halo, i think in time 343 will learn from their mistakes and try to make the best halo games they can.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3