Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Is BXR cheating?

OP Dapper shrooms

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I've been playing system link on halo 2 on my OG xbox with some buddies. Whenever I BXR them they say it's cheating. Should I stop?
"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" - Joe Montana
I wouldnt say its cheating. Maybe a little unsporting but its a lan so who cares?
No, the game allows you to do it. There was no regulations for it even in MLG gameplay back in the day.
I don't think "is BXR cheating?" is the relevant question here. What's cheating is purely a matter of definition, and usually people's standard of what they consider as cheating is entirely arbitrary. Personally I take the stance that the coding of the game encodes the rules of the game, and anything the game allows you to do without external modifications to the game or the hardware is within the rules of the game. That of course includes glitches.

The real question is: should you stop? If your friends are calling something you do cheating, either they are just doing it in jest, or they are genuinely upset by it. In the former case, it's probably fine, but in the latter case, you should probably talk it through with your friends before the game. At the end of the day, in a small LAN environment, it's not too hard to make up mutually accepted rules and have everybody abide by them.
It's not cheating. If it's considered cheating then every single MLG player from 2004 to 2007, who competed in an MLG tournament, should be labeled as a cheater because EVERYONE DID SO!

Ignore em and keep doing it. They're probably the same people who would bust your chops for using the noob combo in Halo 2 as well. If it works, do it because if you don't, it'll be used against you and it'll more than likely cost you the game
To me, yes, it is. I don't think it was supposed to be there in the first place. It could be because of the rushed development, as I don't believe Bungie would do that if they hadn't tried to create a new engine.

If your friends can do it, then DEW IT. It makes the games more tense and competitive. If not, try not to.
Personally, don't.
To me, yes, it is. I don't think it was supposed to be there in the first place. It could be because of the rushed development, as I don't believe Bungie would do that if they hadn't tried to create a new engine.

If your friends can do it, then DEW IT. It makes the games more tense and competitive. If not, try not to.
Personally, don't.
The CE pistol in MP wasnt supposed to be a 3 shot. Would you consider it cheating if used?
bungie said it is before the h2 xbox servers went down
Nooga wrote:

Personally, don't.
The CE pistol in MP wasnt supposed to be a 3 shot. Would you consider it cheating if used?
Was it also supposed to make the BR a close quarters killing machine (The melee-cancel-shoot combo)? Deadlier than the shotgun, and in extreme cases, the Energy Sword?
I wouldn't since anyone can use without needing to memorize button combos. You would just need to keep your reticle on your target's head and shoot it 3 times.
To me, there's two ways you can look at this:

1) It is cheating

Reasons - It was not an intended mechanic of the game and it is effectively an exploit, which gives you an advantage. The game does not teach you how to do BXR as it was never intended to be in the game, hence why it's not seen in future Halo releases.

2) It increases the skill bracket

At higher tiers of play, a large number of players will know how to BXR. It's not an easy exploit to learn and therefore, there is a new 'skill barrier' involved. A player who is good at BXR can have an edge on a player that hasn't practiced it enough. Given that MLG didn't ban BXR, it appears to be generally accepted as another skill barrier that players need to overcome.

It's your choice. In a competitive match, I don't see why not. Halo 2 isn't going to be patched anymore so everyone will be using BXR. Against your friends, if they're casuals and for fun, maybe have the odd game where you don't use it if they don't know how to do it.
Nooga wrote:

Personally, don't.
The coding in the game was changed at the last second to make it the deadly weapon it is today. While it's true that through most of Halo CE's multiplayer development it wasn't intended to be that may, it was intended to be what it is today because an intentional change was made to the weapon by a developer.

In contrast to BXR, no developer intended for that to be a feature, hence, why it is a glitch. In any case, like others have said, I think "cheating" is subjective and is based on the rules set by the players of the match.
tsassi wrote:
I don't think "is BXR cheating?" is the relevant question here. What's cheating is purely a matter of definition, and usually people's standard of what they consider as cheating is entirely arbitrary. Personally I take the stance that the coding of the game encodes the rules of the game, and anything the game allows you to do without external modifications to the game or the hardware is within the rules of the game. That of course includes glitches.

The real question is: should you stop? If your friends are calling something you do cheating, either they are just doing it in jest, or they are genuinely upset by it. In the former case, it's probably fine, but in the latter case, you should probably talk it through with your friends before the game. At the end of the day, in a small LAN environment, it's not too hard to make up mutually accepted rules and have everybody abide by them.
Exactly, "cheating" is subjective. It is determined by the people that play the game; it's a consensus.
BXR is not cheating. End of story. LOL!
Nooga wrote:
I wouldnt say its cheating. Maybe a little unsporting but its a lan so who cares?
Apparently my friends do lol.
Nooga wrote:

Personally, don't.
nope, but backpack reloading could be considered cheating
I've been playing system link on halo 2 on my OG xbox with some buddies. Whenever I BXR them they say it's cheating. Should I stop?
In my opinion it is cheating.
dryrain23 wrote:
"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" - Joe Montana
I completely agree with you on this one!
So because it's in the game, its cheating? So what is sprint considered? Or crouch jumping?
So because it's in the game, its cheating? So what is sprint considered? Or crouch jumping?
And a move that makes the shotgun and the energy sword look like nerf guns? Or increasing the fire rate of a weapon that the devs had no intention on? Or melee very quickly?
Sprint is a pace breaker and crouch jump is clamber -1.0 DOT
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2