Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Multiplayer Between Xbox One and PC

OP Peterstigers

I have Halo on PC and the Halo Collection on Xbox One, is there any way to get a multiplayer game between them?
I have Halo on PC and the Halo Collection on Xbox One, is there any way to get a multiplayer game between them?
Your joking right? Please tell me you're joking.
You can't. MCC and Halo CE PC are completely different things.
Thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure.
Like most games, the multiplayer on PC and consoles are on different servers. Besides, it's not fair for console players because the mouse allows for greater control. (depending on skill)
No MP between the two. Mouse and Keyboard in my opinion is too much of an advantage for competitive play.

That said, 343 did say they are considering Halo Custom Edition maps and features. This can benefit both MCC and Halo PC/CE so I'm hopeful they allow at least some sort of custom maps. Obviously there will be some limitations if other IP's are involved but alot of the custom maps, weapons and vehicles could work with approval/verification from 343.
Primortem wrote:
Like most games, the multiplayer on PC and consoles are on different servers. Besides, it's not fair for console players because the mouse allows for greater control. (depending on skill)
I wouldn't even say skill plays a part in anything. Console players vs PC players would create a huge divide in skill and population. PC players will always have the advantage, over console players, when it comes to multiplayer. It's been seen once when The Coalition enabled cross platform play with "Gears of War 4". Console players got curb stomped. It was not pretty hence why it's not talked about very much
Primortem wrote:
I wouldn't even say skill plays a part in anything. Console players vs PC players would create a huge divide in skill and population. PC players will always have the advantage, over console players, when it comes to multiplayer. It's been seen once when The Coalition enabled cross platform play with "Gears of War 4". Console players got curb stomped. It was not pretty hence why it's not talked about very much
I’d be interested to see a link about The Coalition saying they got curb stomped. Last I read about it I think they said it was actually somewhat balanced, with the exception of longer range fights. Granted, I’m not a big Gears 4 fan and I haven’t played the game since that test but they seemed confident in it to actually make cross platform available in more playlists.

I do remember people claiming Microsoft tested cross platform FPS though with Halo 2 and claimed that it was a disaster. Whilst I believe in an FPS scenario it would be unfair, I also remember not a single one of the sources had a reference to back up the article, which was surprising.
Primortem wrote:
I’d be interested to see a link about The Coalition saying they got curb stomped. Last I read about it I think they said it was actually somewhat balanced, with the exception of longer range fights. Granted, I’m not a big Gears 4 fan and I haven’t played the game since that test but they seemed confident in it to actually make cross platform available in more playlists.

I do remember people claiming Microsoft tested cross platform FPS though with Halo 2 and claimed that it was a disaster. Whilst I believe in an FPS scenario it would be unfair, I also remember not a single one of the sources had a reference to back up the article, which was surprising.
I think this is the article you're talking about. I played in that event, when PC and Xbox players were playing together. PC players stuck out from the crowd in what they could do. I'm not sure how familiar you are with "Gears of War 4" but wall-bouncing is a big part of the multiplayer side of things. Watching an Xbox player go against a PC player who is wall bouncing and landing nearly every shot was excruciating. I'm by no means a pro but I'm not bad either. The event was a bit of an eye opener. I'm sure the divide would be much more evident had it been a FPS.

I had not heard about Microsoft trying to cross platform Halo 2. Are you talking like back when Halo 2 came out for PC? I would imagine, back then, something like that would have been a real train wreck.
Firstly, it isn't possible to do cross play- the MCC servers are completely different than the PC Halo CE ones. Secondly, I doubt any console players would want to play against PC players- even with aim assist, mouse and keyboard is way more accurate than joysticks.
Why not use your mouse and keyboard on the Xbox one?
Cross play would be great, but no for Halo 6 possibly as that may be an Xbox Play anywhere title
Primortem wrote:

I think this is the article you're talking about. I played in that event, when PC and Xbox players were playing together. PC players stuck out from the crowd in what they could do. I'm not sure how familiar you are with "Gears of War 4" but wall-bouncing is a big part of the multiplayer side of things. Watching an Xbox player go against a PC player who is wall bouncing and landing nearly every shot was excruciating. I'm by no means a pro but I'm not bad either. The event was a bit of an eye opener. I'm sure the divide would be much more evident had it been a FPS.

I had not heard about Microsoft trying to cross platform Halo 2. Are you talking like back when Halo 2 came out for PC? I would imagine, back then, something like that would have been a real train wreck.
Yeah i’ll be honest, i’m garbage at Gears, always have been. Familiar with wall bouncing but can’t do it properly myself. I can see how an advantage can be had then. I think cross platform play for casual modes/playlists so you can play with friends is still a nice idea but for some games where there’s a clear advantage to be had, competitive/ranked playlists should be kept to the respective platforms. Still, that links report seems to indicate that at least based on raw stats, Windows and Xbox Gears 4 players seem to be at least on par with each other. I’d probably put that down to Xbox players having more experience with the franchise or the game’s just more balanced than i thought. Thank you for the link by the way, appreciate it!

Regarding Halo 2 - The stories go that at some point, likely before H2V was released, Microsoft did an internal test with professional/skilled console players vs your basic PC player and apparently the outcome was the skilled players got destroyed. Whilst it’s not unreasonable to think that for an FPS, my only issue with the story is that all the news outlets I looked at didn’t appear to have a source/reference for the story.
Primortem wrote:

Yeah i’ll be honest, i’m garbage at Gears, always have been. Familiar with wall bouncing but can’t do it properly myself. I can see how an advantage can be had then. I think cross platform play for casual modes/playlists so you can play with friends is still a nice idea but for some games where there’s a clear advantage to be had, competitive/ranked playlists should be kept to the respective platforms. Still, that links report seems to indicate that at least based on raw stats, Windows and Xbox Gears 4 players seem to be at least on par with each other. I’d probably put that down to Xbox players having more experience with the franchise or the game’s just more balanced than i thought. Thank you for the link by the way, appreciate it!

Regarding Halo 2 - The stories go that at some point, likely before H2V was released, Microsoft did an internal test with professional/skilled console players vs your basic PC player and apparently the outcome was the skilled players got destroyed. Whilst it’s not unreasonable to think that for an FPS, my only issue with the story is that all the news outlets I looked at didn’t appear to have a source/reference for the story.
The Gears part of things is interesting and I'd love to know more but can't seem to find anything. The Halo 2 aspect of things is really, really interesting. I had know idea there were tests like that back then.

I'm not sure if you watched but the Black Ops 4 Reveal was today and they announced that they teamed with Blizzard and their BattleNet for the PC version of Black Ops 4. That's a really big deal. They've set the bar and I'm really curious to see how 343 Industries is going to respond.