Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

People dont appreciate the classics

OP chopperzac

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I was born in 2001 and i started playing at a young age (8) so i experianced halo 3 late but the population was still large. No gaming experiance will ever match the years i played halo 3 back then. However when i tell my freinds this they laugh and say halo is overated and terrible. They dont believe that Halo CE, 2 and 3 changed lots of things and revoloutionised console fps. I understand opinion and if you dont like Halo I understand but it should be respected for what it did.

The people my age insist that the features pioneered by CE and 2 already existed. And think Call of Duty and Battlefield are more influential. Even the ones that have played halos 1, 2, and 3 claim its boring. They started playing games later so you know there all cod kids. (They are not very good at Halo which probably doesnt help) From the modern Halo games i can see why to newer gamers Halo has a bad rep but tgey dont even appreciate the old games and thats upsetting.

I know this post has no aim but i need to vent because this series is not respected by younger games even though it shaped most of the console FPS games today and they really are a wonderfull set of games everyone should play. Even if you dont enjoy it. It deserves respect.
Halo 3 was the GOAT hands down. I never had a better gaming experience in my life than I did on Halo 3 and even ODST. Halo CE, 2, and Reach were no slouches either as I’ve had fun on them all. I think Halo brings more to the table as far as having both campaign and multiplayer, but at the end of the day,
its still all opinion anyway.
dryrain23 wrote:
Halo 3 was the GOAT hands down. I never had a better gaming experience in my life than I did on Halo 3 and even ODST. Halo CE, 2, and Reach were no slouches either as I’ve had fun on them all. I think Halo brings more to the table as far as having both campaign and multiplayer, but at the end of the day,
its still all opinion anyway.
It is opinion and i understand that but when they trash the game (some with like 30 mins playtime) it annoys me...
Halo 3 was a legend, they're just jelous their games weren't in the xbox most played for such a long time.
Halo 3 was a legend, they're just jelous their games weren't in the xbox most played for such a long time.
To be fair MW2 held its place about as well as Halo 3, considering it was only displaced by its own sequels. In particular, both games stayed in top 10 for pretty much exactly three years.

Rather than having an inane contest about whose favorite shooter is more popular, we should all just admit that both Halo and CoD are exceptionally popular games that significantly shaped the FPS genre, and popularized mechanics that have since then become standard. We don't have to like these games to appreciate their historical and cultural value, and the ingenuity of their design.

Appreciating things that you don't like or care about is a skill that needs to be learned. Not everyone learns it, and you can't really teach it. But learning it would probably enrich OP's friends' lives. A world where every game, TV show, or film you don't like is a terrible piece of overrated trash is a pretty sad and miserable world to live in.
H2 XBL experience>H3's. And it did it first.

Also, CE's gameplay is better than both, "hands down".

Lol like I said in the first post it’s all opinion. You’re so creative trying to be sarcastic copying my “hands down” thing though, You deserve a medal. In my opinion, CE’s gameplay is worse than both of them but it’s just opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think in a sense every gamer growing up is looking for their "Halo 3" you know? We all have that 1 game that we spent hours upon hours playing with our friends and will remember forever. For some people it's games like World of Warcraft, or Modern Warfare 2, but for most people here it's Halo 1, 2, or 3. There are kids growing up that will probably never play a NES or N64 and that blows my mind. So thinking about kids not liking Halo 3? It's definitely upsetting to me but as long as they find a game that they love to play with friends and will create lifelong memories on it's fine with me.
I agree they seem to resent it when i bring it up it makes me laugh
tsassi wrote:
To be fair MW2 held its place about as well as Halo 3, considering it was only displaced by its own sequels. In particular, both games stayed in top 10 for pretty much exactly three years.

Rather than having an inane contest about whose favorite shooter is more popular, we should all just admit that both Halo and CoD are exceptionally popular games that significantly shaped the FPS genre, and popularized mechanics that have since then become standard. We don't have to like these games to appreciate their historical and cultural value, and the ingenuity of their design.

Appreciating things that you don't like or care about is a skill that needs to be learned. Not everyone learns it, and you can't really teach it. But learning it would probably enrich OP's friends' lives. A world where every game, TV show, or film you don't like is a terrible piece of overrated trash is a pretty sad and miserable world to live in.
I get you and i liked mw2 at the time. I dont try to tell them other games are bad but they have no respect for the games that gave so much to the games they play so often
<p></p>

Its all opinion but i prefer h3. I still respect 2 and ce.
JSchift wrote:
I think in a sense every gamer growing up is looking for their "Halo 3" you know? We all have that 1 game that we spent hours upon hours playing with our friends and will remember forever. For some people it's games like World of Warcraft, or Modern Warfare 2, but for most people here it's Halo 1, 2, or 3. There are kids growing up that will probably never play a NES or N64 and that blows my mind. So thinking about kids not liking Halo 3? It's definitely upsetting to me but as long as they find a game that they love to play with friends and will create lifelong memories on it's fine with me.
Again I understand others have favourite games and i understand that but its just they have no respect for the series where they should especially CE.
chopperzac wrote:
tsassi wrote:

I get you and i liked mw2 at the time. I dont try to tell them other games are bad but they have no respect for the games that gave so much to the games they play so often
<p></p>
The right context for my post is that I actually don't really like CoD. There are a number of things I find unappealing about the multiplayer, but that's besides the point. I can still appreciate its achievements. After all, regardless of what I think, it has managed to entertain millions of people for years, so it has clearly got something going for it.

I needed to find the right words for this thread. Because I really find it difficult to care about what some people think of Halo when I actually take a moment to consider it. At the same time, there's a really important general point here about being able to appreciate art you don't necessarily care for or like on a personal level. It's generally just much more fascinating and enriching to realize that if something's popular, there's probably a good reason for it, rather than denouncing it as "overrated". For their own sake, I hope your friends realize this some day.

This is the best answer.

I agree. Halo 2's XBL experience was better, at first, until the modders and hackers basically took over Halo 2's online matchmaking. Halo 3 became better than Halo 2 after that. The population stayed at over 1 million people for over a year and the double EXP playlists were going over very well with the community. Seriously, it was either Halo 3 or Modern Warfare 2 back then. When you needed a break from one, you went and played the other.

CE is better than both. No questions asked. I'll LAN Halo CE any day before I LAN any of the other Bungie era Halo games
tsassi wrote:
chopperzac wrote:
tsassi wrote:

<p></p>
The right context for my post is that I actually don't really like CoD. There are a number of things I find unappealing about the multiplayer, but that's besides the point. I can still appreciate its achievements. After all, regardless of what I think, it has managed to entertain millions of people for years, so it has clearly got something going for it.

I needed to find the right words for this thread. Because I really find it difficult to care about what some people think of Halo when I actually take a moment to consider it. At the same time, there's a really important general point here about being able to appreciate art you don't necessarily care for or like on a personal level. It's generally just much more fascinating and enriching to realize that if something's popular, there's probably a good reason for it, rather than denouncing it as "overrated". For their own sake, I hope your friends realize this some day.
Yeah you are 100% right. Im not a massive cod fan but i apreciate the older games e.g mw trilogy, waw and black ops 1 and i recognise what they did. I flund them fun but they dont entertain me as much as halo. I have respect for the cod franchise. Your post sums it up well... people should apreciate things even if they are not fans.
The classics will be fondly remembered for the impact they have had on the industry. Halo CE and Halo 2 in particular have done as much for the FPS and console market as Goldeneye did on the N64 or Half-Life and Half-Life 2 did in 1998 and 2004 for PC.

Halo 3 is still a fantastic game but it had competition. CoD 4 was an unexpected major success, along with pretty much every other sequel the series has had. CoD did this by appealing to the casual, the low time to kill allows for easy kills so anyone can play (lower skill ceiling compared to Halo), the killstreaks gave players instant satisfaction for doing ‘good’, which helps encourage players to keep playing and the XP progression system allowed for players to grind and ‘progress’ at their own pace.

These features are all perfectly suited to casual players and were genius for the time. The only other major title that had been so popular on consoles was Halo 2, though often players had other reasons for replaying the multiplayer, mine for Halo 2 and 3 was to improve my skill rating (futile though, only got to 40!), which in itself is a reward system but is based around you actually improving. The higher time to kill for Halo does make every kill feel rewarding bht makes it more difficult for the casual to pick up and play and instantly feel like they’re doing good.

OP if your friends are of the CoD era, don’t worry. CoD to them is what Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Halo, Goldeneye, SM64 etc were to us back in the day. CoD being their favourites will never diminish the impact the series has had on the industry. To end, Halo and Halo 2 have earned their spots as influential games and will always be appreciated.
The classics will be fondly remembered for the impact they have had on the industry. Halo CE and Halo 2 in particular have done as much for the FPS and console market as Goldeneye did on the N64 or Half-Life and Half-Life 2 did in 1998 and 2004 for PC.

Halo 3 is still a fantastic game but it had competition. CoD 4 was an unexpected major success, along with pretty much every other sequel the series has had. CoD did this by appealing to the casual, the low time to kill allows for easy kills so anyone can play (lower skill ceiling compared to Halo), the killstreaks gave players instant satisfaction for doing ‘good’, which helps encourage players to keep playing and the XP progression system allowed for players to grind and ‘progress’ at their own pace.

These features are all perfectly suited to casual players and were genius for the time. The only other major title that had been so popular on consoles was Halo 2, though often players had other reasons for replaying the multiplayer, mine for Halo 2 and 3 was to improve my skill rating (futile though, only got to 40!), which in itself is a reward system but is based around you actually improving. The higher time to kill for Halo does make every kill feel rewarding bht makes it more difficult for the casual to pick up and play and instantly feel like they’re doing good.

OP if your friends are of the CoD era, don’t worry. CoD to them is what Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Halo, Goldeneye, SM64 etc were to us back in the day. CoD being their favourites will never diminish the impact the series has had on the industry. To end, Halo and Halo 2 have earned their spots as influential games and will always be appreciated.
Yeah i guess to them like black ops 2 is their halo 3 but yeah i do understand the appeal of COD especially the older ones like WaW, the first 2 MW games and Black ops 1 but after that to me the series is not anything special. But yeah oh well uf they dont apreciate it i guess it doesnt matter because its only opinion.
The quality is subjective, certainly. The legacy each game left behind is not. Those who dismiss this are blind to reality.
The quality is subjective, certainly. The legacy each game left behind is not. Those who dismiss this are blind to reality.
Yeah they dont believe me its quite sad actually
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3