Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

PROJECTILE VS HITSCAN WEAPONS

OP Shawn4Japan

In most halo games the weapons are mainly Hitscan (besides launchers and other special weapons of course) but in Halo 3 almost every weapon was a projectile based weapon. If you don't know the definition I'll explain them below

Hitscan means: a calculation performed by a game to find the point at which a given line intersects a game object, and is commonly used to determine whether a bullet or projectile hit a target after being fired from a weapon.

In other words a Hitscan basically makes contact with an (object weather that be player or just a random object on the map) as soon as the weapon is fired with little to no travel time Ex. The halo 5 battle rifle

A projectile weapon usually has a travel speed and takes time to hit the target, kind of like the rocket launcher
In halo 3 a majority of players were frustrated with the game because their shot wasn't on point all the time and that's because bungie implemented the projectile based weapon system to most guns. This leading to kills taking longer to achieve and having to lead your shot more than normal.

The question asked is do you prefer the Hit scan based weapon system or projectile based weapon system?
For Halo 2, 3 and Reach, because they used P2P and not a dedicated server i would say hitscan would be the go to choice, simply because of the little to no travel time outside of ping.

Dedicated servers can help make projectile based weapons better if everyone has a good connection to the server and also helps to increase the skill gap such as leading shots, like you mentioned.

I personally prefer hitscan but Halo 3 felt good too, provided there wasn’t any NA players in the game as they had host priority. Still, hitscan wins it for me on consoles.
I prefer projectile because I've been playing Halo 3 longer than any other Halo, so I'm used to projectiles. Hitscans feel weird imo.
I prefer projectile because I've been playing Halo 3 longer than any other Halo, so I'm used to projectiles. Hitscans feel weird imo.
Same here. It feels closer to shooting in real life, if that's a fair comparison to make to a fictional game
Projectile weapons is a reason why I don't appreciate Halo 3's MP as much as any other. Made me feel like I was shooting ghost bullets.
I dislike Halo 3's projectiles simply because they move so damn slow. Halo 1's pistol is projectile, but it feels so good because the bullet moves really fast.
Hitscan all the way. I don't want to play Halo 3 ever again.
I think I prefer hitscan, because I'm always guaranteed a hit when my reticle is on the opponent. I don't mind projectile though, as it requires more work with leading your shots and it's closer to how real life guns work.
Hitscan BR = my greatest love
I dislike Halo 3's projectiles simply because they move so damn slow. Halo 1's pistol is projectile, but it feels so good because the bullet moves really fast.
Yeah, I hate Halo 3’s BR. I feel like the bullet lag is worse than it would be in real life. I’m sure that real snipers have to account for bullet travel time but the BR is extremely inaccurate, even at medium range. Halo CE got it perfect with a reasonable amount of bullet lag. In CE, I sometimes forget that the weapons are projectile until fighting at range.