Reflecting on 10 Years of Halo 3

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
As part of Halo 3's big 10 year anniversary next Monday I'm putting together a little blog for Waypoint and I'd love to include some community reflections and fond memories! I can't include everyone but I'd love to hear your story - sound off below and let me know what Halo 3 meant to you. I'm looking for your favorite memory, a great story, a funny anecdote, etc.. - anything to help us tell the story of how Halo 3 has impacted so many of us.

And be sure to tune in to our little Halo 3 commemorative live stream on Monday, 9/25! It'll kick off at 1PM PT on Mixer.com/Halo and Twitch.tv/Halo. We'll reflect back and talk about Halo 3, check out a Halo 3 campaign speed run, give away some prizes and answer questions, etc... And then at approx. 3:00PM we'll switch over to a Community Playdate in Halo 5 in the brand new "Halo 3 Classic Throwback" playlist! (which will go live Monday morning) We've got an all star team representing 343 with Bravo, Strongside, Neighbor, and Derksy stepping in to represent some old school skillz in this new playlist. As always, everyone who matches against team 343 will get the 343 Ice Unicorn skin in Halo 5. Hope to see you on Monday!
I honestly remember getting the 'Perfect 50' in Lone Wolves.
It took 135 games, 0 losses even against boosters.
My fondest memories are of the many chopper jousts my friends and I had on Sandtrap, ah good times!
I remember bragging to my friends in Big Team Battle that I got a perfection, when in reality, my brother was playing instead of me. I relished in the compliments before I went -10 the next game.

Custom Games, however, was where I spent a majority of my time on halo 3. Full game lobbies and the opportunity to make friends were always available.

Halo 3 had so much substance, so many features that were all exciting. The campaign in co-op, finding all the skulls, going for vidmasters, a great ranking system, and a competitive scene like no other.
I met my longest running "battle buddy" in Halo 3! I missed the jump from top to bottom on Orbital and some guy in the lobby laughed at me and then invited me to party up with him and his friends. I joined them and ended up with a pretty fun squad to play with. As time went on, we all sort of drifted into different things...except for Cheese. It's been something like 8 or 9 years now and we're still friends.

I think he's one of like, 3 people on my friends list that knew me by my original GT at this point. :P
Halo 3 created me. I know I'm not alone when I say it helped kickstart my career.

When the Mythic Map Pack came out with great new Forge tools, I quickly got to work creating videos for my new YouTube channel.

That channel grew for 10 years to become a critical piece of what Ready Up Live is today. It's all thanks to Halo.
Let me spin you a tale.
I was at a Lan party with friends. And there I was, in the final moments of an assault game on Last resort. We were in the lead and defending. The enemy team was driving past the fan in a Warthog, heading for our base, so I threw a grave lift into the path of the warthog. It goes flying into the air. lands upside down, and I manage to stick it with a spike grenade. It explodes taking all 3 attackers with it. The time runs out, we win.
My friend convinced me there was a secret crystal armor in the game, and I believed it because i'm stupid. Turns out it was from a screenshot somebody had taken!
Only reason to live Halo 3!!!!!!! Finish the fight
Halo 3 solidified friendships that exist to this day and have sprouted into the real world. Thanks to the Mythic Map pack, I found a home and a family in a community that has lasted 10 years.

Halo 3 was the catalyst that provided me many opportunities and experiences for personal growth on and offline.
My greatest memories the day I got halo 3 was the lead up to the release date. All the great trailers, especially the one where chief says "not yet.", and the beta! It all got my so hyped up because I've been a huge halo fan since Halo 2. I also remember playing a lot of campaign and custom games after release date. We would make funny videos that we would then post on YouTube. (Pdizzel) I think the video was. Credits to mkmbronco47 for uploading those!
My favorite memory was completing the "Annual" achievement with 3 of my close friends. It was a great mix of laughs and tears from how annoying and fun it was at the same time!
I'll never forget going to the Halo 3 midnight launch and playing straight through the campaign afterwards over Xbox Live. 2007 was my senior year of college and Halo 3 made sure I didn't get much sleep between its launch and graduation.
I think my favorite Halo 3 memory was when it had first come out. That first weekend, my friends brought over their 360s and TVs. We did a system link co-op run for the entire campaign on Legendary, then went back into multiplayer until the early AM.

As for a funny anecdote, the aforementioned Cheese by snickerdoodle didn't believe me about the flying dumpster. Both him and I got inside it, and kept jumping, and it wouldn't work. "I feel stupid," he said. It finally got to working, and we decided to show snickerdoodle! Only we definitely couldn't get it to work.

"I feel stupid," she said.

I always wonder what the Marines, during a last stand on Earth, are thinking when a super soldier and his alien BFF are jumping inside of a dumpster.
Ka Five wrote:
I think my favorite Halo 3 memory was when it had first come out. That first weekend, my friends brought over their 360s and TVs. We did a system link co-op run for the entire campaign on Legendary, then went back into multiplayer until the early AM.

As for a funny anecdote, the aforementioned Cheese by snickerdoodle didn't believe me about the flying dumpster. Both him and I got inside it, and kept jumping, and it wouldn't work. "I feel stupid," he said. It finally got to working, and we decided to show snickerdoodle! Only we definitely couldn't get it to work.

"I feel stupid," she said.

I always wonder what the Marines, during a last stand on Earth, are thinking when a super soldier and his alien BFF are jumping inside of a dumpster.
I still don't believe you.
Halo 3 innovated on its community tools and the ability to bring people together. Simple things like Bungie favourites and the way in which Bungie interacted with the community made it a special era. Forge was incredible and provided a vast array of creativity and blue sky ideas from the community.
MY fondest memory on halo 3 is when I was driving a warthog on Valhalla and ramped off a rock got boosted by and exploding fusion coil flying across the map bouncing off rock and splattering an enemy that just killed my friend
LINK TO VIDEO
https://youtu.be/-gpIPMgU2aw
I remember my first game of Halo 3 was with my friend and his older brother. My friend's brother refused to tell us how to play and we just got killed again and again. I ended with about 2 kills and 40 deaths, but I loved it
Halo 3 was the first halo game I owned. It was also my first online experience in 2007. I was mind blown by the concept of it. Killing people who aren't sitting next to me?! (I was an outside kid until that day) I still remember my first online match on snowbound and having a blast. Still have my very first friend on my list. Team doubles was where I got my competitive gaming on. Love halo 3!
My parents got a phone call by Bungie from Halo 3 when I yelled at everyone 'I'm only 7, gimme a chance!!' every match, so many times that either people reported me or Bungie somehow found me out.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6