Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Should i be worried about this?

OP andry9611

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hi guys, i'm a little worried about what just happened to me. I come back home, want to play some Halo 3, and notuced the disc was a little damaged (Image here: https://mega.nz/#!049Awaxb!cZhuutHXcxtAU-aBORNSNwz3Pmf1AO9fJ1Et4SRor7Y).

So (after some panic moment) i put the disc in the Xbox 360 and installed the game on my Hard Disk because i tought that in that way the console would use the HDD to run the game instead of the disc (in fact it was way less loud running the game, almost silent) can you confirm this the case?

Is there any chance that even in this way the damage could go further and make the game unplayable?

EDIT : If this can help you the disc was already like this when i bought it (like three days ago at Gamestop) but i don't know how, i didn't noticed until now (i would never treat a masterpiece like this 😢)

The damage is ONLY at the center of the disc, not evena a little scratch on the surfice where "data" should be (idk if you understand what i mean)

I can't change it because i bought it without warranty (and there weren't other Halo 3 in store).

Thank you, i'll appretiate your help.
Your understanding is mostly correct, although your Xbox will still verify the disc each time you start the game. But yes, you will greatly reduce the strain put on the disc by downloading it to your hard drive. If the disc runs now and you download the game, it will probably take a very long time before the damage spreads and makes it unplayable (as long as it's carefully handled and stored of course).
You probably should install the games in disc to avoid them becoming unreadable due to damage in the future. There was this time that my CEA disc was unreadable and would crash early in a mission. I couldn't even install it, it was completely unplayable. I bought the original CE BC, but it just wasn't the same. So, out of desperation, I tried using that toothpaste trick... AND IT WORKED. I was then able to install the game. I'm genuinely not joking, the toothpaste trick fixed the disc. Never uninstalling that game. Now that it's installed, the Xbox will be able to read it despite the damage. THANK GOD.
Thank you guys, it's a relief, the game now is installad and working, i hope it will last for a long time.
andry9611 wrote:
Thank you guys, it's a relief, the game now is installad and working, i hope it will last for a long time.
If it's installed, it'll basically last forever =)
andry9611 wrote:
If it's installed, it'll basically last forever =)
Thanks. you made my day better :)
If memory serves me right, didn't Bungie say that downloading the game to an Xbox 360 would actually make the game run a bit slower? Maybe I'm thinking of Halo Reach or miss remembering all together. In any case, you could always go to Gamestop and buy a new disk. I'm pretty sure that they sell for like $5. Same thing with ODST and the Halo 3 Multiplayer disk
If memory serves me right, didn't Bungie say that downloading the game to an Xbox 360 would actually make the game run a bit slower? Maybe I'm thinking of Halo Reach or miss remembering all together. In any case, you could always go to Gamestop and buy a new disk. I'm pretty sure that they sell for like $5. Same thing with ODST and the Halo 3 Multiplayer disk
But just how slow? And in what category? Loading times? Game in general? Either way, I have the game installed in both my 360 and One X and it loads and runs perfectly well.
But just how slow? And in what category? Loading times? Game in general? Either way, I have the game installed in both my 360 and One X and it loads and runs perfectly well.
I thought loading time but I could be just misremembering. No worries
Yes it's a bit slower, but it's a really, really tiny difference, almost impossible to notice.
andry9611 wrote:
Yes it's a bit slower, but it's a really, really tiny difference, almost impossible to notice.
That's fair then. In any case, just remember a replacement disk is usually pretty cheap
andry9611 wrote:
That's fair then. In any case, just remember a replacement disk is usually pretty cheap
I know, but it's really hard to find where i live in. This was the last one in that Gamestop, i should do 2 hours with my car to chek into another Gamestop.
Both Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST are $7.99 on Gamestop's website. You could buy there and have em shipped to you or your local store.
Both Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST are $7.99 on Gamestop's website. You could buy there and have em shipped to you or your local store.
The link doesn't work, maybe because i'm Italian?

EDIT : I already tought about checking if it's available in the website, but the Italian website is -Yoink- and there are not old games anymore, so i must check personally in a store...Gamstop Italia isn't living in 2018 i guess!
andry9611 wrote:
The ink
Are you in Italy?
If memory serves me right, didn't Bungie say that downloading the game to an Xbox 360 would actually make the game run a bit slower? Maybe I'm thinking of Halo Reach or miss remembering all together.
You're right, but it's something that I think everyone has accepted, especially since there's no other choice on the Xbox One. I believe Reach was optimized to run better when installed, but the very least, it didn't have the problem Halo 3 had.
andry9611 wrote:

EDIT : I already tought about checking if it's available in the website, but the Italian website is -Yoink- and there are not old games anymore, so i must check personally in a store...Gamstop Italia isn't living in 2018 i guess!
Ah, buying games in Italy is a pain, from my experience. They're overpriced and hard to find. I'd rather buy games digitally than try to find them there, assuming your internet connection isn't terrible.
Jestzer wrote:
andry9611 wrote:

Ah, buying games in Italy is a pain, from my experience. They're overpriced and hard to find. I'd rather buy games digitally than try to find them there, assuming your internet connection isn't terrible.
Yep, buying games in Italy is a true nightmare, as you said, overpriced and hard to find. Fortunately i have a quite good connection, most of my neighbours still has 20MB/s more or less, while i have 100MB/s, that's why i had already tought about buying the game trough Xbox Live but there the game is at 19.99€ while at Gamestop is at 4.98€, that's why i would prefer to find it there. I'm too a lot into digital, but when retail is not overpriced or even cheaper like in this case, i always prefer retail.
Jestzer wrote:
If memory serves me right, didn't Bungie say that downloading the game to an Xbox 360 would actually make the game run a bit slower? Maybe I'm thinking of Halo Reach or miss remembering all together.
You're right, but it's something that I think everyone has accepted, especially since there's no other choice on the Xbox One. I believe Reach was optimized to run better when installed, but the very least, it didn't have the problem Halo 3 had.
I mean, we still have the choice between Xbox 360 and Xbox One, it's just that Xbox One has a healthy population and the 360's is slowly dying
Jestzer wrote:
I mean, we still have the choice between Xbox 360 and Xbox One, it's just that Xbox One has a healthy population and the 360's is slowly dying
I'm afraid that Microsoft also agrees with that statement. The store on the 360 isn't reliable anymore. One time I wanted to buy a game (digitally because I would never find it here) and I inserted my credit card, but then I had to call Xbox support to remove the credit card from my account because it would simply refuse to remove it due to an error.
That and playing games on the Xbox One really feel better. I may use the 360 for games that aren't BC (Sonic Unleashed comes immediately to my mind) or because I don't have a second One controller to play with a friend, but other than that, I'll mainly use my One X.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2