Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Should there be another ODST game?

OP Hunkiez

I loved being able to experience how it was being an ODST, It was a nice change of pace from being a super soilder! Personally, I believe that with the new game engine that 343 has, the possibilities are endless. What do you guys think? Do you think there should be another halo game where we fight as an ordinary soilder? I look forward to getting your thoughts on this.
It'd be perfectly fine with me. I've also suggested that I'd like to see an open-world RPG Halo game licenced out to another developer who'd do it justice, where we play as an average midshipman, who survives a crash on a malfunctioning shieldworld, and has to survive various challenges, such as the crews of other crashed ships, ancient Forerunner ruins, and more. With no Spartans or other previously named characters in such a game, our decisions in this game are free to affect the entire world without having any impact on any other story, so long as the game concludes with off-world communications still blocked and the ships unable to take off. It would also be the perfect opportunity to have a plethora of different weapon options with different effects in addition to their standard armor bonus.
I would love another ODST game but remember we can't have the original squad together if you don't want to be with Spartans. If they made a new ODST squad to follow in the post - war era that would be cool.
YES, I think another ODST would work well for the next game in the franchise (after Halo:Infinite of course). The only problems are:
  • making new characters that the fans can get to know and like in 1 game (like Bungie managed with the original ODST squad)
  • A setting that makes sense for the type of game ODST seems to be (exploration / free-roam with missions sprinkled in). They could try Harvest just after the 1st contact between the covenant and UNSC ambassador team. I believe the old books talk about the evacuation efforts during the 1st battle for Harvest and that there were a few large cities that saw heavy fighting before being lost. Otherwise they'd have to try something new.....
I'd just love to see the series expand. Halo war 2 is awesome but I'd love to see the series expand into other areas. Like imagine xcom mixed with odst.
Tbh, Bungie should have just titled their original one from 2009 'Halo ODST', regardless of whether it's an expansion of Halo 3 and uses H3 graphics and physics
A new ODST game would be great, I'd love to see 343's take on an ODST (or similar) spinoff.
Another ODST would be great but I’m disappointed that they killed off the Rookie in a comic or novel. Such a shame.

Gameplay wise i’d love to see more ‘feet first into hell’ and be able to decide where to drop, similar to Medal of Honour Airborne but I imagine this may prove difficult to structure level and plot wise.
Hunkiez wrote:
I loved being able to experience how it was being an ODST, It was a nice change of pace from being a super soilder! Personally, I believe that with the new game engine that 343 has, the possibilities are endless. What do you guys think? Do you think there should be another halo game where we fight as an ordinary soilder? I look forward to getting your thoughts on this.
I think that would be an interesting idea.

I know that one idea mentioned in various videos and other forums is a Flood-themed horror game where the player is an ODST or a Marine who has to fight their way through a Flood-infested area to survive.

What if 343 decided to give us a short game where we get to play as Sergeant Johnson through various levels of the original Halo, and we get to see how he made it off the ring? I know that his survival was explained in Halo: First Strike, but it was never explained how he got onto that pelican, and I also know that his escape through the Flood containment facility was explained in the Halo Graphic Novel story Breaking Quarantine, but wouldn't it be cool to actually play through that as Sergeant Avery Junior Johnson!? Wouldn't that be awesome!? I mean, he is technically an ODST and a Spartan I, but he's still less advanced than Spartan II's and III's like the Master Chief and Noble Team.

Or maybe a game where we play as Buck during the invasion of Reach, with a cameo by the Falcon piloted by Noble Six appearing at some point?

Who's with me on these ideas?
I'd like to think that we'll see another ODST game sometime in the future. One could argue we got another ODST game with Halo Fireteam Raven but that's only a 45 minute experience from start to finish. I really enjoyed ODST and it brought a new level of challenges in that you weren't playing as a super solider Spartan, you were an ODST so it was harder to take down Covenant