Does anyone remember when they shut down the original Halo 2 servers? And there were those players who stayed connected to the system for weeks after refusing to shut off their consoles so that they could keep the servers online.
I just googled it and they were apparently called the Noble 14.
Yeah I remember.

They left their Xbox's online on Halo 2 in order to remain able to play the game. Unfortunately, as time went on, Xbox's eventually began to fail such as overheating or in other cases, peoples internet cut out.

They managed to extend the cutoff from April 15th 2010 until May 10th 2010, when Apache N4SIR became the sole surviving player with no one left to fight.

Microsoft even acknowledged their commitment by offering Halo Reach Beta codes.

If you want to read about the last remaining players, here is the original Bungie post made by Agent, who was the 2nd to last player kicked off before Apache N4SIR

https://www.bungie.net/ar/Forums/Post/2139032

Enjoy the read. It lists the players in order of disconnect too.
How did that work? When a match ended were they able to stay in the que or did they just have big custom games with no time or score limit?
How did that work? When a match ended were they able to stay in the que or did they just have big custom games with no time or score limit?
When the servers were shutoff, no one was able to sign into OG Xbox Live anymore. I don’t believe the servers were truly switched off at that time, rather they no longer allowed people to log in to give people time to finish their games before Microsoft finally got rid of or re-purpose the servers.

So in effect, as long as the players did not turn their Xbox’s off, stop running Halo 2 (i.e change games) and did not do anything that would force them to sign out of Xbox Live such as completing the final level of the campaign (The Great Journey), then the players could stay online and continue to matchmake, host custom games and do everything they did before.

However, as mentioned and as the article covers, over time other factors caused the player count to drop, ranging from Xbox’s overheating, disconnecting/booted from LIVE, home network hiccups/issues ultimately lead to the player count decreasing and, once the player had lost their connection, they could no longer log back in to join the other Final Few.
This is a crime of passion, I love it!