Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

What was the coolest thing about Halo 3 ODST

OP Super Chief XL

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo 3 ODST brought a lot of good things to the table. The atmosphere, firefight, new enemy types (the engineers) and most of all MORE HALO.
It was a new and original experience for Halo. It is definitely one of the best Halo games.
Definitely firefight. It was an entire new game mode. Otherwise ODST was just an extra campaign really.
I loved ODST. I know not everyone got it but I really liked having Sgt. Johnson in Firefight that was cool to me!
exploration. hands down.

The vast dark open world of new mombassa made me somewhat terrified and worried about what laid behind a corner. OR wonder what room would have inside.
As great as the environment was it was a tad too dark. I get that they were pushing for the use of night vision but i felt like i had night vision on for soo long that my eyes thought it was on even if i had it disabled. Regardless exploring it was truly immersive.

This makes me wonder if this will be the same type of approach halo infinite will be like.
I’d say just the Drop In alone was incredible, the music and the setting was great, good characters too.
Firefight and music !
Coolest thing in ODST?

Well, the open-esque exploration around the streets of New Mombasa was pretty cool. Back then, I wished Bungie added corpses of civilians scattered the city along with the marines and wished they expand on the city a little more.
Spoiler:
Show
It was really cool because it takes place in tandem with halo 2 and regret's departure. His actions of destroying the entire city in Kenya made you hate him even more and killing him was satisfying. Hope they do a ground up remaster of halo 3 odst some day. I personally disliked buck because he never takes anything seriously and is always sarcastic in the middle of a life-threatning war. I liked rookie because he was silent and i felt very vulnerable playing as an odst for the first time, seeing stuff from a diffrent perspective. That epic opening cutscene sure as hell could use a blur studios remaster btw.
The fact that you played as an ODST and not the Master Chief. Nathan Fillion being a voice actor was pretty awesome as well
ODST was one of my favs. other than reach and halo 3. the story was awesome in all 3
I think seeing that poster which it turned out to be an early Destiny teaser and just the easter eggs were cool, great game!
The soundtrack was BEYOND perfect!
This is it, I was playing though campaign on Legendary. Its late at night, I'm home by myself playing mombasa streets with all the lights off. Then out of no where this strange saxaphone starts playing this sad beat. It sent shivers through my body. I was in an area of the city where there was no power and vision was very minimal. I have played Alien Isolation, and that game is scary, but I still get scared playing though Mombasa streets. For me, its being completely alone and that always hits me hard.
Spoiler:
Show
I think the coolest thing about the game was the open world night element. When I was little I was terrified of this game unless I played with someone else so beating it solo for the first time was a thrill. Being little and playing this was awesome once I got used to it and I could just get lost in New Mombasa. And don't get me started on the terminal hunting and the first time I opened a cashe.
The soundtrack was BEYOND perfect!
The soundtrack was incredible! One, if not the best, soundtrack from Marty.

I think the coolest thing about the game was the open world night element. When I was little I was terrified of this game unless I played with someone else so beating it solo for the first time was a thrill. Being little and playing this was awesome once I got used to it and I could just get lost in New Mombasa. And don't get me started on the terminal hunting and the first time I opened a cashe.
The night element was something that really attracted me to ODST. It was a completely different Halo game with the night elements. I love having to use night vision and how enemies and allies would be highlighted different colors.
My favorite aspect was playing as an ODST instead of a spartan. I also liked the detective aspect of the campaign
Yazite wrote:
It was a new and original experience for Halo. It is definitely one of the best Halo games.
Agreed. I just got my Xbox One almost a month ago and was looking to buy cheap games at GameStop, so I decided I’ll pickup halo 3. And I like it. Only problem is that the population sucks.
Playing as an odst and firefight. I liked ODSTs when I first saw them in halo 2. Back when no one cared about them. And firefight is actually one of my most played modes in any halo game. Countless hours played with my buddy(s). Like said before I still wish they had added a little more to Mombasa. It just felt so empty and lifeless imo. While some might say that’s a good thing, It personally took away from the experience for me and made it a little bland for my taste.
I just ran around new Mombasa collecting audio logs left and right, that was the most fun for me!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2