Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Why Black Undersuits Matter

OP Great spartan87

Halo 3, Reach had tons of recognizable armor that you immediately recognize what another player is wearing. They implemented this perfectly by adding a little feature called BLACK -Yoinking!- ARMORSUITS!
Heres why we need them back.

• More Pleasing To The Eye
The only reason why no one can recognize what another player is wearing apart from the helmet is because of the colored undersuits that make them look more like power rangers than actual Spartans.
Thats Why we need black undersuits. To make it easier for the human mind and eye to process.

• Compliments The Original Art Style
Ever since Halo Wars 2, you guys have been reverting back to the Halo 3 art style. Can you imagine Halo 3 Master Chief with the green under armor? I can’t either. Black undersuits are part of the classic art style that you guys are coming back to.

That’s all I have to say. If you have any additional points, then reply to this post.
The only reason why no one can recognize what another player is wearing apart from the helmet is because of the colored undersuits that make them look more like power rangers than actual Spartans.
Thats Why we need black undersuits. To make it easier for the human mind and eye to process.
Let's not forget that recognizing what another player is wearing often happens outside of gameplay, specifically when looking at other players in the menus. When you see other players in the post-game carnage report, for example, (or, if it exists, the pre-game lobby), you'll see their personal armor colors (not team colors) and their stances.

This is why we should have the option to color the entire undersuit, rather than it being forced to always be black. A completely black undersuit would take away the control players have over the color of their Spartan, which is not a good thing. With the entire undersuit being customizable, players could color it black themselves if they want their armor to stand out during matches, without having to force other players to always wear black.

So what should happen is this: First of all, remove the un-changeable white paint, or let it be colored with a tertiary color. Again, players should have full control over their colors. Secondly, players should be able to change the color of their entire undersuit, without having all or part of it forced to be black. And most importantly, there should be plenty of options for players to view other players outside of matches, such as in a pre-game lobby. Because what's the point of unlocking stances if nobody else will see them? We shouldn't be thinking about recognizing other players' Spartans during matches, as much as we should be thinking about recognizing other players' Spartans in the menus.
Compliments The Original Art Style
Complement, not compliment
Ever since Halo Wars 2, you guys have been reverting back to the Halo 3 art style. Can you imagine Halo 3 Master Chief with the green under armor? I can’t either. Black undersuits are part of the classic art style that you guys are coming back to.
If players want to color their Spartan in a way that clashes with the art style of the game, they should be allowed to. If somebody wants to dress up like Master Chief with a silly green undersuit, there's no benefit to taking away their freedom to do so.
I'd also say 343 needs to go the Reach route of customzation, where you have the default armor, and put bits and pieces on it that looked visually distinct, instead of blobish.
Black undersuits certainly help with letting us see Spartan armor more effectively, in addition to the non-team colored bits and pieces. Not sure how much I want to see rainbow Seeker Spartans running around, but I just want the black undersuits back.
*Tacks Sugar out of mouth*

Basically everything Halo 3 did looked awesome.

*Puts Sugar back in mouth*
*Tacks Sugar out of mouth*

Basically everything Halo 3 did looked awesome.

*Puts Sugar back in mouth*
I second this
Let's not forget that recognizing what another player is wearing often happens outside of gameplay, specifically when looking at other players in the menus. When you see other players in the post-game carnage report, for example, (or, if it exists, the pre-game lobby), you'll see their personal armor colors (not team colors) and their stances.

This is why we should have the option to color the entire undersuit, rather than it being forced to always be black. A completely black undersuit would take away the control players have over the color of their Spartan, which is not a good thing. With the entire undersuit being customizable, players could color it black themselves if they want their armor to stand out during matches, without having to force other players to always wear black.

So what should happen is this: First of all, remove the un-changeable white paint, or let it be colored with a tertiary color. Again, players should have full control over their colors. Secondly, players should be able to change the color of their entire undersuit, without having all or part of it forced to be black. And most importantly, there should be plenty of options for players to view other players outside of matches, such as in a pre-game lobby. Because what's the point of unlocking stances if nobody else will see them? We shouldn't be thinking about recognizing other players' Spartans during matches, as much as we should be thinking about recognizing other players' Spartans in the menus.
Compliments The Original Art Style
Complement, not compliment
If players want to color their Spartan in a way that clashes with the art style of the game, they should be allowed to. If somebody wants to dress up like Master Chief with a silly green undersuit, there's no benefit to taking away their freedom to do so.
I like the idea of custom colors for undersuits as well. Maybe that will be a new feature for Halo 6! It would allow a lot more creativity.
tuhin94 wrote:
I like the idea of custom colors for undersuits as well. Maybe that will be a new feature for Halo 6! It would allow a lot more creativity.
I hope so too! I don't see why everyone shouldn't be for that. Those people who are saying undersuits should be black because they don't want to see rainbow Spartans are just selfishly trying to impose their personal style choices on everyone else. It's disheartening to see that.
tuhin94 wrote:
I hope so too! I don't see why everyone shouldn't be for that. Those people who are saying undersuits should be black because they don't want to see rainbow Spartans are just selfishly trying to impose their personal style choices on everyone else. It's disheartening to see that.
The issue is how odd it looks in relation to everything else.

Like you're on a super top secret military installation, and you see some Spartan in rainbow colors with a purple visor, wearing something like FOTUS or Jumpmaster.

Ya know, for a company that apparently values immersion more than anything else, they do and make a number of things that break immersion pretty hard core.
Delta5931 wrote:

Like you're on a super top secret military installation, and you see some Spartan in rainbow colors with a purple visor, wearing something like FOTUS or Jumpmaster.

Ya know, for a company that apparently values immersion more than anything else, they do and make a number of things that break immersion pretty hard core.
What I'm saying is, if people want to dress up their Spartan in a way that breaks immersion, that should be their choice. So what if it looks odd? You shouldn't get to decide for other people whether they look odd or not. If the undersuits were fully customizable instead of just black, then you would still have a choice to make your undersuit black (and I suspect most people would), but you're saying you want to take away other people's choice to color it differently than you would. If you think immersion is a good thing, that's fine, but don't force other people to share your opinion. Sometimes people like to equip immersion-breaking items, such as pizza skins. Nobody is forcing you to do that, so just let them have their fun. Why do you hate freedom?
Delta5931 wrote:

What I'm saying is, if people want to dress up their Spartan in a way that breaks immersion, that should be their choice. So what if it looks odd? You shouldn't get to decide for other people whether they look odd or not. If the undersuits were fully customizable instead of just black, then you would still have a choice to make your undersuit black (and I suspect most people would), but you're saying you want to take away other people's choice to color it differently than you would. If you think immersion is a good thing, that's fine, but don't force other people to share your opinion. Sometimes people like to equip immersion-breaking items, such as pizza skins. Nobody is forcing you to do that, so just let them have their fun. Why do you hate freedom?
Gee, that was a leap mate. I'm just criticizing something I'll have to see every time I play, and suddenly I hate freedom.
That's just the issue. I hate the Pizza and other weapon skins. In fact, I hate all the weapon skins in game because they all look terrible and break immersion like mad. I'm not the kind of guy who values immersion over game play, but I don't want to look at something awful all the times I have to play. I'd rather that players can set it client side, but I can set their undersuits on my end to be black.
I'm not forcing anyone too share my opinion. All I'm saying is that I'd rather not see something so frivolously silly in a game that used to at least be somewhat serious.
Delta5931 wrote:
Gee, that was a leap mate. I'm just criticizing something I'll have to see every time I play, and suddenly I hate freedom.
That's just the issue. I hate the Pizza and other weapon skins. In fact, I hate all the weapon skins in game because they all look terrible and break immersion like mad. I'm not the kind of guy who values immersion over game play, but I don't want to look at something awful all the times I have to play. I'd rather that players can set it client side, but I can set their undersuits on my end to be black.
I'm not forcing anyone too share my opinion. All I'm saying is that I'd rather not see something so frivolously silly in a game that used to at least be somewhat serious.
ok, I do understand that. I have previously advocated removing the Seeker helmet and other ugly ones, despite the fact that there may possibly be someone out there who actually likes them. I suppose that would be taking away their freedom as well so maybe I'm a hypocrite. After all, we are just discussing opinions. The thing is, my opinion clashes with yours a little bit because I'm kind of tired of having black parts that I can't change on my undersuit :/
Delta5931 wrote:
ok, I do understand that. I have previously advocated removing the Seeker helmet and other ugly ones, despite the fact that there may possibly be someone out there who actually likes them. I suppose that would be taking away their freedom as well so maybe I'm a hypocrite. After all, we are just discussing opinions. The thing is, my opinion clashes with yours a little bit because I'm kind of tired of having black parts that I can't change on my undersuit :/
Yeah, I get that. Especially when campaign armor can, and often does, do that.
Going the fully custom route (undersuits, shoulders, etc) would be the most ideal way to go. Yes there will be horrible mashups and sets that will hurt your eyes. Just remember the only time you would see those would me FFA (in matchmaking). The rest of the time it would be the default Red VS Blue color scheme negating the rainbow Spartans we would get.
Going the fully custom route (undersuits, shoulders, etc) would be the most ideal way to go. Yes there will be horrible mashups and sets that will hurt your eyes. Just remember the only time you would see those would me FFA (in matchmaking). The rest of the time it would be the default Red VS Blue color scheme negating the rainbow Spartans we would get.
And also Infection.
It also depends on whether 343 enables them in all modes, like in Halo 3 with the strips, or Halo 2 with secondary colors.
Delta5931 wrote:
And also Infection.
It also depends on whether 343 enables them in all modes, like in Halo 3 with the strips, or Halo 2 with secondary colors.
One thing i did enjoy about Halo 3 was that our emblems were on our Spartans. I would like to see that come back as well
I completely agree! Black under suit is more I guess you could say “Professional” looking, military wise!