Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Why didn't 343i add anything new to Halo CEA?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
When I first heard about Halo CEA, I was like: Cool, we will get an upgrade in graphics, new weapons, better gameplay, etc. Instead, all 343i did was upgrade the graphics. Now don't get me wrong, an upgrade in graphics is still cool, but I expected more. I already know that a lot of people will say that 343i couldn't change anything in Halo CE because it would ruin the nostalgic experience. My question is why even make a remaster if it plays the same? Just go play the original. Honestly, graphics are not a problem as much as gameplay to me. I have less complaints with the Halo 2A because its gameplay already feels pretty decent(though I do wish an Assault Rifle was added to the campaign).

I'm not asking to add sprint and Spartan abilities to the Halo CE campaign, just high-jacking, duel wielding, more vehicles, better physics, new weapons(Battle Rifles, Flame Throwers, Fuel Rod Guns, Carbines, etc). I'm not saying, let's add Battle Riffles and nerf the Magnum. I still want the original weapons in Halo CEA just more weapons added. I want vehicles to behave like the new Halos. Boost on the Ghost and Banshee, destructible human vehicles, and drivable Wraiths.

I know it's minor but why can't I see my legs in Halo CE and why does the Assault Rifle look like it is being hip fired. These changes wouldn't even effect gameplay just raise the perspective of the guns and add legs in new graphics.

I know a lot of people probably disagree with me about changing Halo CEs gameplay but I just think that the campaign could be improved while being a slightly new experience. Maybe improve missions too(I'm looking at you, Library). The funny thing is when I played Halo 3, years before Halo CEAs release, I actually thought of the idea of a remake of Halo CE with Halo 3 style gameplay and graphics. Then Halo CEA released without any change to the gameplay,which disappointed me but I have to admit the ability to switch graphics is pretty neat. Anyway, just wanted to get my thoughts on the matter out and wondered anybody else feels this way.
You do anything to Halo CE and it won’t be Halo CE anymore.

1) Adding new weapons can cause balance issues or break certain competitive elements on some maps.

2) New gameplay elements will also change the way the game is played. It can have a negative impact on the experience. Take a look at CEA’s MP using Reach as a base, if that wasn’t enough evidence as to why you should keep things as is then I don’t know what is. Even with all the modifiers to the game, Reach with CEA maps and modified gameplay is not what we wanted.

CEA was meant to be a celebration of the original game. The MCC version is a better version of the original CEA but it’s still a nice game. I’d take CEA (preferably the MCC version with MP) over any of the additions you mentioned anyday.

1) Adding new weapons can cause balance issues or break certain competitive elements on some maps.

2) New gameplay elements will also change the way the game is played. It can have a negative impact on the experience. Take a look at CEA’s MP using Reach as a base, if that wasn’t enough evidence as to why you should keep things as is then I don’t know what is. Even with all the modifiers to the game, Reach with CEA maps and modified gameplay is not what we wanted.

CEA was meant to be a celebration of the original game. The MCC version is a better version of the original CEA but it’s still a nice game. I’d take CEA (preferably the MCC version with MP) over any of the additions you mentioned anyday.
I think that you didn’t get that I was talking about the campaign not multiplayer. Keeping multiplayer the same for balance makes sense, though a new coat of paint over the graphics wouldn’t hurt.

How would adding extra abilities to the campaign hurt as long as nothing original is taken away? Balance issues arise in the competitive scene because people are going to use weapons or vehicles rather or not you use them. The campaign could get away with it as long as you have the option as a player to ignore the new equipment/abilities. Adding a BR that is less powerful than the CE Magnum would be useless in multiplayer but would still be fun to mess around in the campaign.

Look what 343i did with sculls in Halo CEA. They weren’t there originally and are 100% optional to use. Why not try the same thing with weapons, abilities, and vehicles? Don’t want to high-jack a Wraith, then just don’t do it. I understand if you don’t want physics changed(human vehicle immunity) or mission altered but why not add a collection of new stuff for fun.

A lot of people have already played Halo CE many times, why not give us some new toys, just for the sake of running aground “Assault on the Control Room” with a Saw and Fuel Rod or a Wraith. I use to play Halo CE before I played Halo 2 and I always wanted to use Wraiths and Energy Swords.

I think that you didn’t get that I was talking about the campaign not multiplayer. Keeping multiplayer the same for balance makes sense, though a new coat of paint over the graphics wouldn’t hurt.

How would adding extra abilities to the campaign hurt as long as nothing original is taken away? Balance issues arise in the competitive scene because people are going to use weapons or vehicles rather or not you use them. The campaign could get away with it as long as you have the option as a player to ignore the new equipment/abilities. Adding a BR that is less powerful than the CE Magnum would be useless in multiplayer but would still be fun to mess around in the campaign.

Look what 343i did with sculls in Halo CEA. They weren’t there originally and are 100% optional to use. Why not try the same thing with weapons, abilities, and vehicles? Don’t want to high-jack a Wraith, then just don’t do it. I understand if you don’t want physics changed(human vehicle immunity) or mission altered but why not add a collection of new stuff for fun.

A lot of people have already played Halo CE many times, why not give us some new toys, just for the sake of running aground “Assault on the Control Room” with a Saw and Fuel Rod or a Wraith. I use to play Halo CE before I played Halo 2 and I always wanted to use Wraiths and Energy Swords.
I'm talking about both. The game was not designed, Campaign or Multiplayer, for new weapons. The AI and their responses, encounters and tactics, are not designed for new weapons and gameplay elements. SPv3 plays completely differently compared to Halo CE, to give you a mod example although that mod never set out to be the same as CE. You also have to remember that there are weapons that fill specific roles despite the OP Magnum. The AR has a 60 round mag, making the SAW redundant. The BR would likely make the AR redundant due to its accuracy. It's not as simple as just adding weapons.

The Skulls are gameplay modifiers for fun, they do not change the core game but rather make some things more extreme. Grunt birthday party and Cowbell are a good example or are there to further challenge the player such as Black Eye. If you are adding gameplay elements to the core gameplay such as Sprint, Armour abilities or anything else, even changing the physics engine, it will no longer feel like CE. And as mentioned above, the AI would need to be completely reprogrammed to adapt to these new scenario's. That would cost time and money and given it's a celebration of CE with a new coat of paint, I don't think fans would appreciate the game they love bearing little resemblance to the original.

The point is, there's a reason why CEA is the way it is. If you want to try all of the stuff you mentioned, SPv3 is a great mod for the PC version of Halo. The PC version and Custom Edition are cheap/free so you can have a play around with it. I'm not trying to tell you that the stuff you mentioned should never be included, but rather trying to give you reasons why they were not included.
When I first heard about Halo CEA, I was like: Cool, we will get an upgrade in graphics, new weapons, better gameplay, etc. Instead, all 343i did was upgrade the graphics. Now don't get me wrong, an upgrade in graphics is still cool, but I expected more. I already know that a lot of people will say that 343i couldn't change anything in Halo CE because it would ruin the nostalgic experience. My question is why even make a remaster if it plays the same? Just go play the original. Honestly, graphics are not a problem as much as gameplay to me. I have less complaints with the Halo 2A because its gameplay already feels pretty decent(though I do wish an Assault Rifle was added to the campaign).

I'm not asking to add sprint and Spartan abilities to the Halo CE campaign, just high-jacking, duel wielding, more vehicles, better physics, new weapons(Battle Rifles, Flame Throwers, Fuel Rod Guns, Carbines, etc). I'm not saying, let's add Battle Riffles and nerf the Magnum. I still want the original weapons in Halo CEA just more weapons added. I want vehicles to behave like the new Halos. Boost on the Ghost and Banshee, destructible human vehicles, and drivable Wraiths.

I know it's minor but why can't I see my legs in Halo CE and why does the Assault Rifle look like it is being hip fired. These changes wouldn't even effect gameplay just raise the perspective of the guns and add legs in new graphics.

I know a lot of people probably disagree with me about changing Halo CEs gameplay but I just think that the campaign could be improved while being a slightly new experience. Maybe improve missions too(I'm looking at you, Library). The funny thing is when I played Halo 3, years before Halo CEAs release, I actually thought of the idea of a remake of Halo CE with Halo 3 style gameplay and graphics. Then Halo CEA released without any change to the gameplay,which disappointed me but I have to admit the ability to switch graphics is pretty neat. Anyway, just wanted to get my thoughts on the matter out and wondered anybody else feels this way.
The goal of Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity was to create a package which would celebrate ten years of the Halo franchise while raising a metaphorical glass to ten more.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary wasn't just a remaster of the original Halo; it was a beautiful celebration. The game featured gameplay which was identical to the original release, not only so new players could easily experience the game for the first time, but to show how timeless the game was. Additions such as skulls, terminals, achievements, coop over Xbox Live, and many more only served to modernize the game in such a way as to not compromise what made the original great to begin with.

The campaign from the game that started it all, the multiplayer from the original developers' final entry in the franchise, skulls and terminals etc. from Halo 3 and beyond, and terminals which both answered some questions from the past while also hinting at the future.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary was so much more than a simple remastering; the game was a heartfelt celebration piece and anything less would've been an insult to the franchise's legacy. This wasn't a title meant to be modernized with new gameplay mechanics etc. as it would've lost the spirit of the original.

That's all that needs to be said. Halo CE is PERFECT the way it is. Changing anything on Halo CE is like Steven Spielberg going back and changing aspects of the original Star Wars movies. It's something you just don't do.

Besides, 343 Industries has bigger fish to fry like the big patch for MCC and the work behind Halo 6

That's all that needs to be said. Halo CE is PERFECT the way it is. Changing anything on Halo CE is like Steven Spielberg going back and changing aspects of the original Star Wars movies. It's something you just don't do.

Besides, 343 Industries has bigger fish to fry like the big patch for MCC and the work behind Halo 6
If Halo CE is perfect, why did Halo 2 add anything and why even play other Halos? Everytime I play Halo CE, I feel like it’s missing so much stuff compared to the other Halos. Even characters seem lacking in Halo CE. There are like four main characters in the whole game(343 Guilty Spark, Keys, Cortana, and Master Chief). Far from perfect, though a good intro to Halo and a great game for the time.

I agree that 343i has bigger things to worry about but I wish that they would’ve thought outside the box instead of doing the unoriginal, cheap move. 343i: Let’s make better graphics for a 10 year old game and then charge $40 for it. Of course many people including everyone on this forum seems to like the way they did it, so I guess they did the right call. I’m just in the minority.

As for changing anything on Halo CE making it not CEA, I disagree. First, we need to define what makes a game. I don’t define a game by what weapons are in it as much as the story. Halo CEA could’ve added sprint, Armour Abilities, new weapons, and even tweaked missions. I would have been fine with these things as long as they fit the story right. I actually would have preferred an increase of Master Chief talking. He basically has no personality in Halo CE.

The point is, there's a reason why CEA is the way it is. If you want to try all of the stuff you mentioned, SPv3 is a great mod for the PC version of Halo. The PC version and Custom Edition are cheap/free so you can have a play around with it. I'm not trying to tell you that the stuff you mentioned should never be included, but rather trying to give you reasons why they were not included.
I would love to play Halo SPV3 but I don’t now how to download Halo CE and my laptop isn’t great for gaming anyway. I would love for SPV3 to come to Xbox.

One reason that I listed all the stuff that I wish was in Halo CEA is because I saw Youtube videos of SPV3 and realized how much more fun it looked that the Anniversery. Why can’t they just import it to the Xbox One?

I would love to play Halo SPV3 but I don’t now how to download Halo CE and my laptop isn’t great for gaming anyway. I would love for SPV3 to come to Xbox.

One reason that I listed all the stuff that I wish was in Halo CEA is because I saw Youtube videos of SPV3 and realized how much more fun it looked that the Anniversery. Why can’t they just import it to the Xbox One?
I mean... you could just fire up eBay and buy the game legally, pop the disc in and let the installer do all the work...

If you don't want to join the master race, then I'm afraid that mod support is something you'll never know the full glories of as consoles are such closed platforms.

I mean... you could just fire up eBay and buy the game legally, pop the disc in and let the installer do all the work...

If you don't want to join the master race, then I'm afraid that mod support is something you'll never know the full glories of as consoles are such closed platforms.
Does the disk need to be in the computer to play? I don’t have a built in disk drive, only an external usb drive. I wouldn’t want to have it plugged whenever I want play the game. Do mods require any technical skill? I don’t now anything about pc gaming.

Does the disk need to be in the computer to play? I don’t have a built in disk drive, only an external usb drive. I wouldn’t want to have it plugged whenever I want play the game. Do mods require any technical skill? I don’t now anything about pc gaming.
I honestly can't answer that as some PC games require the disc while others don't. You may wish to create a post around that question as someone will definitely know the answer.

Mods are easy enough to set up as they just involve downloading and placing in the right game folders. You can get mods set up in a minute in most cases and there are many step-by-step tutorials on YouTube.

No the disc is only required for the install since there is no digital copy of Halo PC. You can install it via a USB disc drive if needed. After that, you do not need the disc to play.

EDIT - Forgot to add that you must update Halo PC to the latest version in order to use the game without a disc. If you do not update the game, you will need the disc to play the game.

Mods are easy to install, most of the time it’s just dumping them in the folder that the game installed to. As BoundlessHalo said, there are plenty of Youtube tutorials to show you how to install mods if you’re uncertain.

Finally, if you’re unsure whether your laptop can run the game, the easiest thing you could do is download the Halo PC demo and start a LAN game. If your laptop cant launch the demo then it probably won’t be able to launch the game. If it can launch the game, then starting a LAN game will show you how well it runs.

SPv3 however, has its own set of requirements that are more intensive than the Halo PC base game. Check them out.
tldr
but adding stuff ruins the point of making it feel "like the same experience you had 10 years ago"

If Halo CE is perfect, why did Halo 2 add anything and why even play other Halos? Everytime I play Halo CE, I feel like it’s missing so much stuff compared to the other Halos. Even characters seem lacking in Halo CE. There are like four main characters in the whole game(343 Guilty Spark, Keys, Cortana, and Master Chief). Far from perfect, though a good intro to Halo and a great game for the time.

I agree that 343i has bigger things to worry about but I wish that they would’ve thought outside the box instead of doing the unoriginal, cheap move. 343i: Let’s make better graphics for a 10 year old game and then charge $40 for it. Of course many people including everyone on this forum seems to like the way they did it, so I guess they did the right call. I’m just in the minority.

As for changing anything on Halo CE making it not CEA, I disagree. First, we need to define what makes a game. I don’t define a game by what weapons are in it as much as the story. Halo CEA could’ve added sprint, Armour Abilities, new weapons, and even tweaked missions. I would have been fine with these things as long as they fit the story right. I actually would have preferred an increase of Master Chief talking. He basically has no personality in Halo CE.
I can tell just from your response about how Halo CEA could have added sprint, that you're a newer age Halo player which makes explaining how Halo CE was perfect when you weren't around to appreciate it for what it was.

Not trying to bust your chops but there's no point. You don't go and add something to a game, that came out 17 years ago, just because it's what's relevant today.

I can tell just from your response about how Halo CEA could have added sprint, that you're a newer age Halo player which makes explaining how Halo CE was perfect when you weren't around to appreciate it for what it was.

Not trying to bust your chops but there's no point. You don't go and add something to a game, that came out 17 years ago, just because it's what's relevant today.
How can you “tell” I’m a newer Halo player? I started with Halo CE in 2006 when I was 10. I have played every Halo game after starting with the original. I actually like change in games not the same thing. I wanted change in Halo CE because I already played it so much when I was a kid. I don’t mind Halo CE changing because I get to experience the same story with new stuff. If I wanted the same gameplay, I would get out my original Xbox and play Halo CE.

How can you “tell” I’m a newer Halo player? I started with Halo CE in 2006 when I was 10. I have played every Halo game after starting with the original. I actually like change in games not the same thing. I wanted change in Halo CE because I already played it so much when I was a kid. I don’t mind Halo CE changing because I get to experience the same story with new stuff. If I wanted the same gameplay, I would get out my original Xbox and play Halo CE.
Because newer age players would say that the older games would be "just as good if not better" if things like sprint and armor abilities were added. If you started in 2006, you missed out on the peak of the Halo CE craze, all the hype and craze leading up to Halo 2's release, and a huge part of the Halo 2 Multiplayer success. 2006 was starting to ramp up the release of Halo 3.

Everyone has an opinion so everyone is going to be different. To me, making any changes to how the older Halo games play would be a crime. If you switched the tables and saw a different version of Halo 5 released with no armor abilites or sprint, the fan base and current community would lose their minds.

Because newer age players would say that the older games would be "just as good if not better" if things like sprint and armor abilities were added. If you started in 2006, you missed out on the peak of the Halo CE craze, all the hype and craze leading up to Halo 2's release, and a huge part of the Halo 2 Multiplayer success. 2006 was starting to ramp up the release of Halo 3.

Everyone has an opinion so everyone is going to be different. To me, making any changes to how the older Halo games play would be a crime. If you switched the tables and saw a different version of Halo 5 released with no armor abilites or sprint, the fan base and current community would lose their minds.
I admit that I missed out on the Halo 2 hype. I heard about Halo 3 and was hyped even though I just had played Halo CE and didn’t get a Xbox 360 for a couple of years after that. I also didn’t get Xbox Gold until 2016 and missed out on Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer in their prime.

I agree that we all have the right to opinions. My point of this post wasn’t to say, “everyone must agree Halo CEA should’ve changed everything”. All I want is to say is there are changes I like in Halo, and that doesn’t make me a young Halo player who started with Halo 5: Guardians. I would like an actual remake(not a graphics upgrade) of Halo CE but I already knew that many people would disagree with me. I just wondered if anybody else had the same feelings but I guess not.

For the record I didn’t like Halo 5’s story and prefer the Classic Throwback Playlist to standard Arena. Though, I loved Halo 4’s story and multiplayer; this has also gotten me responses saying, I must have never played the original trilogy. I just want people to disagree on a respectful level instead of debating who is the “real” halo fan or who has been playing longer.
Is Halo CEA the same version that's in MCC? Sorry, I have been MIA for a while.
They were saying that it's a port from Halo PC, which makes sense cause "they did" add stuff that never was apart of the OG HaloCE, and the game doesn't feel nearly as good as the OG XBox version. I wouldn't be surprised if 343 (or even Bungie for that matter) would not know the types of games we played in the OG. But maybe I missed the part where they had all the classic variants that we LAN'd with for the older crowd who had that capability every night in college. :P

It's still fun, but to be honest, I have a feeling that kids that see HaloCEA think it's slow or worse than say Halo 2 and Halo 3 were out of the box. It's difficult to compare though cause of lack of features, however the mechanics were superior in the OG, which isn't displayed very well in the version that shows in MCC. That is from my observation anyway.

They actually did go back to the original Star Wars and changed things. They even added CG characters. But I get what you are trying to say ;)
Haha yeah what was up with the lack of assault rifles in Halo 2?

It was 343's debut effort into the Halo universe, one year before Halo 4, so they didn't really want to anger Bungie fans by turning Halo CEA into something that didn't feel like Bungie Halo... It's like when a film gets remastered for blu-ray. You want the extended cut footage, for sure, but you don't want them to cut out all of the bet scenes from the good old days and replace them with something new and modern. Would ruin the whole experience.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3