Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Why is Halo 3 so popular?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In Halo MCC, everyone chooses Halo 3. This is baffling since it has really slow movement and horrible sound effects. The weapons do very little damage. I know this doesn't effect gameplay but why is everything so quiet in Halo 3. I thought it would be improved in the MCC but instead I discovered that the BR actually sounds worse. The AR sounds like it has a silencer built in all the time, why didn't they just change the AR to sound like it did in ODST? The Halo 3 ODST's assault rifle was the exact same model but sounded better. I really enjoyed Halo 3 when it was released; now, I think it is mediocre and just had a lot of hype coupled with the Halo 2 cliffhanger.
It is popular for it's gameplay mechanics , not it's sound design. It was one of the most competitively designed social games ever made , which gave it broad appeal to many different types of gamers.

The speed of the game was a design decision to help with strategy and tactical play. As many have said with Halo:Reach , 4 , and 5 , communication is pointless because by the time I tell you , "enemy is on blue landing" , said enemy can be halfway across the map. In C.E. through 3 when you communicated positions it was a pretty good chance the enemy was still in the local area.
Sunsdune wrote:
It is popular for it's gameplay mechanics , not it's sound design. It was one of the most competitively designed social games ever made , which gave it broad appeal to many different types of gamers.

The speed of the game was a design decision to help with strategy and tactical play. As many have said with Halo:Reach , 4 , and 5 , communication is pointless because by the time I tell you , "enemy is on blue landing" , said enemy can be halfway across the map. In C.E. through 3 when you communicated positions it was a pretty good chance the enemy was still in the local area.
Thank's, that actually makes sense. I really did want an explanation but expected blind fans of Halo 3 to get mad at me.

I personally like Halo 4, sprint, and the faster paced gameplay; but I can see how this changes communications with other players. The problem is no one uses headsets most of the time.

Whenever I play Halo 3, I actually do like Valhala, but it seems like we always get Ratsnest, Longshore, or Standoff. I really don't like One Bomb(or One Flag) on Longshore. So boring.

Why doesn't 343 and Microsoft consider designing the campaign and multiplayer separately? A more classic designed multiplayer but with abilities and sprint in the campaign.
Well it's coming up to the 10 year anniversary, maybe people are in the mood? Also Halo 3 had the largest population, so maybe people would rather play H3 than 1,2 or 4.
The hit detection in H3 MCC is awful everyone chooses it because they see a 3
like who votes one bomb on longshore instead of classic btb ctf on death island WHO DOES THAT
The hit detection in H3 MCC is awful everyone chooses it because they see a 3
like who votes one bomb on longshore instead of classic btb ctf on death island WHO DOES THAT
I completely agree with you. I like some Halo 3 multiplayer but not all the time and I would rather do BTB in Halo CE, Halo 4 BTB, or Halo 2 Anniversary. To all the people who play nothing but halo 3: You do know that Halo TMCC was designed around Halo 2 not Halo 3? I play Halo 2 Anniversary more than anything else. I hope that for the Halo 3 Anniversary, 343 just updates Halo TMCC to have more individual game options and update Halo 3's graphics without forcing us to buy a new game. If Halo 3 A launches as a separate game, I probably won't bother buying it.

I always vote for Death Island, Infinity, Sidewinder, and Blood Gulch; I get some of those maps occasionally but I have never played on Blood Gulch. I really want to, but it never appears and when it does people vote for Halo 3.
If you were around when Halo 3 came out in 2007, you'd know. The hype of the E3 2006 Halo 3 Teaser, the chills from the Halo 3 trailer on MNF Dec 4, 2006, and the goosebumps from the Halo 3 Campaign trailer at E3 2007. The hype and excitement around Halo 3 was unlike anything you've ever experienced. It's the most popular Halo game and it always will be. It was the peak of the Halo hype before all the other distractions came in: Call of Duty, Gears of War, Battlefield, GTA, etc...
If you were around when Halo 3 came out in 2007, you'd know. The hype of the E3 2006 Halo 3 Teaser, the chills from the Halo 3 trailer on MNF Dec 4, 2006, and the goosebumps from the Halo 3 Campaign trailer at E3 2007. The hype and excitement around Halo 3 was unlike anything you've ever experienced. It's the most popular Halo game and it always will be. It was the peak of the Halo hype before all the other distractions came in: Call of Duty, Gears of War, Battlefield, GTA, etc...
It's definitely a lot of this. Plus, being on the pretty new and powerful Xbox 360 which was an extremely popular console helped too.

The generation of players playing the MCC has something to do with it too. A lot of them started in or saw Halo 3 being played the most, so it's the one that they want to play.
It's definitely a lot of this. Plus, being on the pretty new and powerful Xbox 360 which was an extremely popular console helped too.

The generation of players playing the MCC has something to do with it too. A lot of them started in or saw Halo 3 being played the most, so it's the one that they want to play.
not to mention, the help of Xbox LIVE really becoming something powerful and great. yes we had H:2 on Xbox LIVE, but it was still in the early days of online MM. Halo 3 was the first real AAA title that maximized the use of online game play.

You're exactly right though Halo 3 on MCC is so messed up, it's infuriating. I won't play anything on MCC that has Halo 3 as an option unless I have a full team so we control the vote.

Anyways, yea, the hype around Halo 3 was the peak of the Halo Craze which is why it's so popular
because it is fun.
Because halo 3 is a legendary game arguably the best halo. Also because halo 3 is dead so the MCC edition has a bigger population.
I always enjoyed the bubble shield, grav lift and regen. The physics of the game made for a lot of interesting scenarios like deploying a bubble shield at a perfect time to deflect an incoming rocket back to my buddy. I think the weapons and vechiles are pretty balanced on the most part.
Sunsdune wrote:

Yup Halo 3 have so much to offer for both competitive and social players
I understand the point that you guys are making: Halo 3 was was the peak of the hype, the Halo 2 cliffhanger, and appeasing both competitive and social gamers.

I was around back in the Halo 3 days, but I was a few years behind(still playing Halo CE). I didn't get Halo 3 until 2009 but was opssesed with it, even though I had no Xbox Live. Halo Reach was when I finally caught up to the series, Halo 4 released and I was blown away: A more mature story revolving around the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana, smooth gameplay, and Xbox One level graphics. I never noticed how horrible the sound design and movement was in Halo 3 until Halo 4. Halo 4's sound effects all sound like actual weapons not airsoft guns.

Do not get me wrong, I loved Halo 3 but Halo 4 feels so much better. I started Halo 4 without Xbox Live and when I finally got Xbox Love, I discovered that I loved Halo 4 even more. Loadouts, instant respawn, sprinting, and no descoping. I enjoy all the changes and before anybody tells me that I'm a COD fan. No, I like to play COD campaigns and occasional multiplyer but I keep returning to Halo(MCC, Reach, 4, 5).
Overall gameplay. Most don't care about the sounds in comparison to the original trilogy.
In my opinion, Halo 3 has the strongest story, script, effects and gameplay of the original trilogy. It's extremely fun and every level is unique and beautiful in it's own right.
I love Halo: CE and Halo 2 but the ONLY problem I had with the gameplay with them both was how samey so much of it looked.
I understand the point that you guys are making: Halo 3 was was the peak of the hype, the Halo 2 cliffhanger, and appeasing both competitive and social gamers.

I was around back in the Halo 3 days, but I was a few years behind(still playing Halo CE). I didn't get Halo 3 until 2009 but was opssesed with it, even though I had no Xbox Live. Halo Reach was when I finally caught up to the series, Halo 4 released and I was blown away: A more mature story revolving around the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana, smooth gameplay, and Xbox One level graphics. I never noticed how horrible the sound design and movement was in Halo 3 until Halo 4. Halo 4's sound effects all sound like actual weapons not airsoft guns.

Do not get me wrong, I loved Halo 3 but Halo 4 feels so much better. I started Halo 4 without Xbox Live and when I finally got Xbox Love, I discovered that I loved Halo 4 even more. Loadouts, instant respawn, sprinting, and no descoping. I enjoy all the changes and before anybody tells me that I'm a COD fan. No, I like to play COD campaigns and occasional multiplyer but I keep returning to Halo(MCC, Reach, 4, 5).
I've learned through reading comments in forums and YT, that H4 is often a hit or miss game. I found slight enjoyment with it when it was released but mainly because I was reliving the glory days of H3's custom games with my friends. I don't think that H3's custom games can be paralleled. Now, don't get me wrong, the later Halos have better maps and are more detailed but mainly because it's easier to forge. H3's maps that have an extreme amount of detail and work really show the love and care that went into it. Where it would take you 2 hours to complete a complex map on any Halo after H3, it would probably take you 6, 8 or even 10 hours longer in H3.
halo 3 is ok, naive in some spots. the story is pretty exciting... until the flood came. every time i play the level with the flood being introduced in the game the only thing in my mind is "aw f*ck this lvl" or that sh*t. i think they overdid the flood thing, making it boring as hell. but, its my two cents.
This puzzles me too. I like the slower gameplay of Halo Classics like Halo 2 and 3, but all the weapons in Halo 3 feel so nerfed. And with the sound design as you described being sub-par it makes the weapons feel even less effective. That being said, I miss the one-off equipment options instead of the armor permutations and the 'bunny-hop' with crouch jumping that made your head bob up and down. The campaign is okay, but Halo 2, Reach, and 4 or better imo. The flood were bad in 3 only because of those stupid needler flood. I liked all the others. Even the tanks and crawlers.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2