Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Why no brute plasma rifles in halo 3!?

OP reflection009

Why do the brutes in halo 3 have no brute plasma rifle? Not even in the mission "Cortana" do you see any!
The brute plasma rifles were placeholders for the spiker basically
The brute plasma rifles were placeholders for the spiker basically
But in ODST (playing it at the moment) you can have both the Spiker AND Brute Plasma Rifle.
The Brute Plasma Rifle I believe was removed because Bungie wanted to give the Brute's their own identity, rather than being bullet sponge's that fought like Elites. The Brute arsenal was then created to better fit the Brutes barbaric nature and expand the Halo sandbox and lore (Spiker, Mauler, Brute Shot).

The Brute Plasma Rifle was nothing more than a faster firing Plasma Rifle, a weapon commonly associated with Elites and I believe Bungie made the right decision by removing it in Halo 3. Its inclusion in Halo 3: ODST to me is nothing more than fan service as well as the fact that it actually replaces the regular Plasma Rifle in that game so it technically does have a place in H3: ODST's sandbox.

All of this is my opinion, I cannot remember if I saw any of the above in Bungie Vidocs leading up to Halo 3's release so don't quote me on this.
If you ask me, it's because Bungie thought the Spiker would satisfy our thirst for Brute weapons. Then, they brought it back to ODST either because they felt like it or because it takes place during the events of Halo 2, the only other game you can find that weapon in.

The real question is why haven't we seen that more powerful sentinel beam show up again from Halo 2?
The Brute Plasma Rifle I believe was removed because Bungie wanted to give the Brute's their own identity, rather than being bullet sponge's that fought like Elites. The Brute arsenal was then created to better fit the Brutes barbaric nature and expand the Halo sandbox and lore (Spiker, Mauler, Brute Shot).

The Brute Plasma Rifle was nothing more than a faster firing Plasma Rifle, a weapon commonly associated with Elites and I believe Bungie made the right decision by removing it in Halo 3. Its inclusion in Halo 3: ODST to me is nothing more than fan service as well as the fact that it actually replaces the regular Plasma Rifle in that game so it technically does have a place in H3: ODST's sandbox.

All of this is my opinion, I cannot remember if I saw any of the above in Bungie Vidocs leading up to Halo 3's release so don't quote me on this.
To me, I feel that the Brute Plasma Rifle, since it appeared after the beginning of the Great Schism, is way of saying that the Brutes are now the ones in command, those who will carry the Covenant to victory, like the Elites before the event. Having it included in Halo 3 wouldn't hurt, but it's true that it would feel rather unnecessary. Would be cool to have the entire Brute arsenal at the player's disposal in the only game where the Brute we're really fleshed out, but oh well.
With the inclusion of the Brute plasma rifle it made me see the Brutes like scavengers, with the Brutes adapting weapons from other cultures that they have defeated and turning them into even deadlier versions of themselves. If this is true the Brute plasma rifle makes it clear that when the Brutes usurped the Elites, they took their very identity by modifying their signature weapon. It would have been cool to see that theme appear again in H3, but well, you know...
I’ve wondered this too. Both variants are pretty different from each other and have a place in the sandbox. In my mind, this was probably a gameplay decision. Maybe to not mess up the balance of MP too much even though they could have simply left it out of matchmaking. Who knows?
tuhin94 wrote:
I’ve wondered this too. Both variants are pretty different from each other and have a place in the sandbox. In my mind, this was probably a gameplay decision. Maybe to not mess up the balance of MP too much even though they could have simply left it out of matchmaking. Who knows?
I don't think there would be any different in the balance at all, because they would barely be used.
tuhin94 wrote:
I don't think there would be any different in the balance at all, because they would barely be used.
Just because someone doesn’t use a weapon doesn’t mean another person won’t.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Just because someone doesn’t use a weapon doesn’t mean another person won’t.
Yeah, but still. Having one that fires longer than the other because the other simply fires faster seems a bit redundant. A faster TTK, but how different? Apologies for the comment.
It's is an interesting idea that it symbolizes the brutes overthrow in Halo 2. Leaving it out of Halo 3 would further illustrate the separation of the Elites from the Covenant and the Brute's assertion of their role as the guardians of the Prophets.They could have made small changes in the Elite's arsenal as a way of distancing themselves from the Elites until their own, personalized weaponry would be made widely available in the events of Halo 3.
Because H3 already bad too many useless weapons in the sandbox.
Lore reasons i guess?
I believe it was because with the inclusion of the spiker there was no need to equip the few brutes in the game that actually do use plasma rifles with their own variant. On the otherhand in odsts there are no elites (except the dead ones) so there was actually a reason to use the brute variant