Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Would Halo 3 Anniversary look that different?

OP Walker184

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Walker184 wrote:
Just to clarify, this isn't about whether you want Halo 3 Anniversary or not, its about the particular matter how you think the graphics would/could look.

I personally don't think there should be a Halo 3 Anniversary because I feel it wouldn't look too different. I mean 3's graphics are old but still pretty good as they are, and the MCC's topped it some, but it doesn't seem noticeable. CE and 2 had really old graphics that remasters were more noticeable. And I may not be a game designer but I just think, while cutscenes would be stellar, in terms of overall gameplay I don't think there would be too much improvement.

What do you think, especially those who are familiar with game design, would a remastered version of Halo 3 look that different? Please like and share your thoughts below.
I think they probably would have added some shine to certain surfaces. Maybe they would have added a Quick-Time senario for the part where the Arbiter kills the prophet of truth so you are the Arbiter. (just to clarify the second one was a joke, I don't want to be caught out by a forum rule).
Please no quick-time events. This isn't CoD. That was a mistake in both Halo 4 and Halo 5 and it ultimately ruined the Didact fight.
Yeah, the bosses like the warden kinda ruined it. (halo 5)
You fight one boss 7 times in Halo 5... Pretty uninspiring and really repetitive.
Walker184 wrote:
Just to clarify, this isn't about whether you want Halo 3 Anniversary or not, its about the particular matter how you think the graphics would/could look.

I personally don't think there should be a Halo 3 Anniversary because I feel it wouldn't look too different. I mean 3's graphics are old but still pretty good as they are, and the MCC's topped it some, but it doesn't seem noticeable. CE and 2 had really old graphics that remasters were more noticeable. And I may not be a game designer but I just think, while cutscenes would be stellar, in terms of overall gameplay I don't think there would be too much improvement.

What do you think, especially those who are familiar with game design, would a remastered version of Halo 3 look that different? Please like and share your thoughts below.
I think they probably would have added some shine to certain surfaces. Maybe they would have added a Quick-Time senario for the part where the Arbiter kills the prophet of truth so you are the Arbiter. (just to clarify the second one was a joke, I don't want to be caught out by a forum rule).
Please no quick-time events. This isn't CoD. That was a mistake in both Halo 4 and Halo 5 and it ultimately ruined the Didact fight.
Yeah, the bosses like the warden kinda ruined it. (halo 5)
You fight one boss 7 times in Halo 5... Pretty uninspiring and really repetitive.
We can only hope that 343i learn from their mistakes and I have to admit it wouldn't be easy to take over a game series like halo.
I reckon they could definitely improve the graphics to be as crisp as they were in Halo 2 Anniversary, but Halo 3's art design was almost cartoony if you looked closely at the faces of the marines and other humans. It was super obvious with Miranda's face. They'd need to keep that aspect in because it gave Halo 3 a subtle uniqueness in the design that you might not notice.

Now, I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion (keep the word "opinion" in mind), but whilst the Blur cutscenes are breathtaking, they ruin the flow of the game for me. Every Halo game developed by Bungie used the engine to create the cutscenes. It gave the game consistency in its appearance,less loading times and it allowed for funny things to show up in the cutscenes. An example of this being, if you kill a coop buddy before the cut scene, you'll see the aftermath during it, looking so out of place.

That's something Halo 3 did that I can't think any other game had done in the past, taking that away, takes away from the authenticity of the game.

With the technology at their disposal, 343i should work on making the game flow more than anything. Do you remember any loading screens between missions in Halo CE, other than starting up the missions from the main menu? Halo 3 Anniversary should have that.

So in summary, they could definitely improve the graphics and they should stick to things that Halo 3 had, like engine cutscenes for originality... But maybe Blur could still play a part in some bonus lore content found in game? Who knows.
It wouldn't change vehicles and weapons a d such, butit would make the human characters look so much better, and the elites would look nice remastered. The human characters like miranda, Johnson, and hood would look so much better.
Nobody in this thread has any clue what they're talking about. The graphics are ten years behind. That means it could be updated with polycounts up to ten times higher, new textures, baked normal maps, full physically-based rendering (same system as H2A and H5), much larger textures obviously and a huge overall increase in detail. The facial models in particular look extremely dated but that's only the very extreme end of things. Almost every asset in the game looks extremely dated in terms of meshes and textures.

To say that it would look pretty much the same is completely ignorant. Every facet of the game would be completely altered.
Nobody in this thread has any clue what they're talking about. The graphics are ten years behind. That means it could be updated with polycounts up to ten times higher, new textures, baked normal maps, full physically-based rendering (same system as H2A and H5), much larger textures obviously and a huge overall increase in detail. The facial models in particular look extremely dated but that's only the very extreme end of things. Almost every asset in the game looks extremely dated in terms of meshes and textures.

To say that it would look pretty much the same is completely ignorant. Every facet of the game would be completely altered.
The game's graphics we're always really good even by 2017 they still look amazing.
So are you calling us ignorant just because we say that H3's graphics wouldn't change much? This is our opinion. Go and play H3 again while paying attention to detail in, let's say, Sierra 117, Tsavo Highway, maybe the Storm, The Covenant and whatever you wish. Also, not everything would be really completely changed. Master Chief for example would look almost, if not, exactly like H2A, but comparing H3 with H2A, there isn't much change except in Lightning for example or a bit more detail, but it would be the same, making the change basically meaningless. Yes, I'm viewing it on my head, I know exactly how they are in the games, and I say ^.
If H3 gets remastered, hell yeah I would buy it, but if I think the change isn't worth it, I'll keep, but on the original graphics in 60 FPS.

I'm not trying to say there would be no difference at all, in fact I've said a few times that I know the cutscenes would be spectacular, but if were to give the same remastery of Halo 2 Anniversary to Halo 3, then compare the original to the remastered, the difference I feel would be noticeable but not that impressive as to be an upgrade. So its really a matter of opinion as to your perception of it.

Overall, I'd be down if they made Halo 3 Anniversary, I just don't that its all that worth it. Not to mention with the announcement Halo 3 (360) eventually being backwards compatible and the current MCC Halo 3, I thinks this adds to my opinion of worth as well likelihood that 343 Industries is going to invest in a third Halo 3 engine.

Oh, one last thing, your opinion is appreciated, but I prefer that you not be insulting in them.
Sure it would. Just look at Halo 3's cinematics. They're fine, but imagine what they'd look like with blur cinematics. With better textures and better graphics and a better system to run it all on, it would definitely make a noticeable improvement. The only thing to worry about is the UI. The MCC launched with terrible User Interface. I can see them repeating the same mistake again, assuming they have a similar development cycle. So long as H3A has the same spirit as the original game (In the same way that H2A's campaign was to Halo 2, minus the terminals) and the same amount of content as H3 had at launch, there would definitely be improvements across the board.
The game's graphics we're always really good even by 2017 they still look amazing.
So are you calling us ignorant just because we say that H3's graphics wouldn't change much? This is our opinion. Go and play H3 again while paying attention to detail in, let's say, Sierra 117, Tsavo Highway, maybe the Storm, The Covenant and whatever you wish. Also, not everything would be really completely changed. Master Chief for example would look almost, if not, exactly like H2A, but comparing H3 with H2A, there isn't much change except in Lightning for example or a bit more detail, but it would be the same, making the change basically meaningless. Yes, I'm viewing it on my head, I know exactly how they are in the games, and I say ^.
If H3 gets remastered, hell yeah I would buy it, but if I think the change isn't worth it, I'll keep, but on the original graphics in 60 FPS.
There is a level of objective difference that would be achieved by remaking the game to current standards. It is not just your opinion. Every single asset would have to be remade, that is an absolute fact (aside from those they would reuse from H2A, but those would be quite rare and they usually don't do that much anyway). That means a higher polycount, new textures, updated to the PBR system, for every single asset. Sure, the art design would be largely the same. But if you think art design is all that matters then by that logic Halo CE looks just as good as Halo 3.

Walker184 wrote:
I'm not trying to say there would be no difference at all, in fact I've said a few times that I know the cutscenes would be spectacular, but if were to give the same remastery of Halo 2 Anniversary to Halo 3, then compare the original to the remastered, the difference I feel would be noticeable but not that impressive as to be an upgrade. So its really a matter of opinion as to your perception of it.

Overall, I'd be down if they made Halo 3 Anniversary, I just don't that its all that worth it. Not to mention with the announcement Halo 3 (360) eventually being backwards compatible and the current MCC Halo 3, I thinks this adds to my opinion of worth as well likelihood that 343 Industries is going to invest in a third Halo 3 engine.

Oh, one last thing, your opinion is appreciated, but I prefer that you not be insulting in them.
No insults anywhere in my post. Being completely frank about the level of understanding of computer graphics in this thread.

Sure, there's a lot of opinions in here that show complete ignorance of how computer graphics work and have evolved over the years, that doesn't mean you're stupid or a bad person for having them. It just means they're ill-informed.
There is a level of objective difference that would be achieved by remaking the game to current standards. It is not just your opinion. Every single asset would have to be remade, that is an absolute fact (aside from those they would reuse from H2A, but those would be quite rare and they usually don't do that much anyway). That means a higher polycount, new textures, updated to the PBR system, for every single asset. Sure, the art design would be largely the same. But if you think art design is all that matters then by that logic Halo CE looks just as good as Halo 3.

Walker184 wrote:

No insults anywhere in my post. Being completely frank about the level of understanding of computer graphics in this thread.

Sure, there's a lot of opinions in here that show complete ignorance of how computer graphics work and have evolved over the years, that doesn't mean you're stupid or a bad person for having them. It just means they're ill-informed.
Well your frankness is appreciated, if you have more knowledge on graphics and game design then most on this thread, then cool, but flat out saying these people haven't a clue what they're talking about or that they're opinions are completely ignorant is rather insulting.
The cutscenes would look movie quality and the in-game graphics would look a little more refined and polished to modern standards.
Halo 3 was from that era of games where their graphics are still relatively good even today. It's nothing noticeably blocky or super-low-res like Halo 2 or CE was. If they did put out a Halo 3 Anniversary, I'd probably get it for those juicy Blur Studios cutscenes. Halo 2 Anniversary was incredible with them!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2