Forums / Games / Classic Halo Games

Would you want a Combat Evolved 20th Anniversary?

OP ProFitofKiLLz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Decided to drop this in General, figured I'd get the community's thoughts on the idea. Naturally, a lot of people are tired of remasters and remakes of old games but when I look at half the stuff being remastered, it's the kind of stuff nobody asked for or that didn't really DESERVE the attention when there were far more deserving candidates in a publishers library. Halo, however, has the history and reputation that make it one of those games that deserves to be preserved forever. Now I won't suggest that we get a Halo 3/ODST Anniversary, I won't suggest that we demand a Halo 2 20th Anniversary in the future, that's just getting really greedy and there is a point where it gets ridiculous, but the original Halo is just a timeless classic. Sadly, the original remaster is kind of 50/50. Visually it definitely looked a lot newer, but the art was a lot more vibrant and warm compared to the classic graphics which felt colder and not all that flashy. Plus others have pointed out to me in the past that there was new geometry in the Anniversary remaster that was not present in the original game leading to players getting stuck in places they shouldn't. There was also the copy/pasting of Reach assets which, while it created some continuity between Reach and Combat Evolved, it just looked odd pasted over the old skeletons. What they did with Halo 2 Anniversary worked a LOT better. And then of course there was the multiplayer, which ended up just being Reach DLC. That was disappointing.

At the end of the day, Combat Evolved is a game worth preserving not only because it's the first Halo game and arguably one of the best in the series(It's my personal favorite next to Halo 2.), but it also put the Xbox on the map. It pretty much single-handedly sold the Xbox. So, my question to you is this: If a rep from 343 Industries came out on stage at E3 2021, alongside Phil Spencer and they gave you this list:
  1. Halo: Combat Evolved campaign fully remastered for the 20th anniversary, more faithful than the last time around.
  2. Multiplayer fully remastered, not DLC for Halo Infinite. Xbox Live enabled.
  3. Cutscenes completely redone by Blur Studios(You can't tell me you never wanted to see the original Halo story redone by Blur.)
Would you be up for that? Is it something you would want? Keep in mind that it would probably end up being exclusive to the NextBox and retail for $50 - $60. The other question I feel like asking is: Would you prefer they keep it a remaster, like the previous Anniversary titles, with or without the graphics switching, OR would you prefer they just completely remake the game on a new engine, unshackling it from the 30fps physics it's cursed with on Xbox One and PC, but potentially diminishing that classic feel because you can't just tap something with a Warthog and have it die?
No. I don't want any more anniversaries.
With 343i essentially rebuilding MCC, I think we already have a pretty good remaster of the original Halo. I don't know how we can get more faithful to the original, I mean playing with the old xbox is an option after all.
Personally, I think (the fixed version) of the MCC is a great way to experience the Halo series and some of it still stands up quite well. At the least it remains an important way of re-experiencing Halo history. So I don't see a reason for a remaster because we already have one.

Out of the 3 things you mentioned only BLUR cutscenes would interest me. But personally, I don't think Halo needs any remakes or anniversaries. At least not until they decide to reboot the series, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
( o.o)
These remasters need to stop.
A. It's a toss-up as to whether or not they'll be faithful to the source material.
B. They take resources away from the development of the main series.
C. The devs have shown that they don't even take them seriously enough to ensure that they properly function.
D. They become redundant in a few years anyway.

I'd only accept another remaster in the Halo series if it was to bring all of the games up to parity with one another, similar to the Crash and Spyro remakes. But the chances of that happening are slim.
No thanks. One game only needs to be remastered once and that's it.
I can tell you I don't like blur 👍 I never liked them in the current games.

Really you only need one remaster at the most, you can simply port them to be backwards compatible with future consoles if people still want to play them.
I don't see why not. I'd like it remade in the slipspace engine (if that actually turns out to be as good looking as it did in the trailer or close). But I'd want the art style to be more faithful to the original because the 10th anniversary felt more like a reimagining in terms of art. I also really like the graphics switching feature so keep that. As for cutscenes, as much as I like Blur and their work I like it more when cutscenes are done in-engine, WHEN the engine looks good, which slipspace does so far.
I fall into the remakes need to stop category. I have played many but it is time for the industry to make new games again.
I'm kind of over remakes, but I wouldn't mind if CE got the H2A treatment with the campaign. I don't think it would need multiplayer, but just do a small campaign release as DLC or something.
No. Once is enough, I'm sick of CE to be honest.
Halo CE is fine, and we already have the Aniversary edition and MCC. I would rather the full efforts of 343 be going into making the best new games they can, rather than spending further time upgrading the ones we've already played and enjoyed.
A. It's a toss-up as to whether or not they'll be faithful to the source material.
C. The devs have shown that they don't even take them seriously enough to ensure that they properly function.

I'd only accept another remaster in the Halo series if it was to bring all of the games up to parity with one another, similar to the Crash and Spyro remakes. But the chances of that happening are slim.
Halo 1 and 2 anniversary hasn't done any of those things

HCEA used Reach assets, changed almost all of the architecture and is now visually outdated. That's A and D.

HCEA used Reach assets, changed almost all of the architecture and is now visually outdated. That's A and D.
I would argue they improved alot of the architecture and enemy design just like halo 2a did
Sadly, the original remaster is kind of 50/50. Visually it definitely looked a lot newer, but the art was a lot more vibrant and warm compared to the classic graphics which felt colder and not all that flashy. Plus others have pointed out to me in the past that there was new geometry in the Anniversary remaster that was not present in the original game leading to players getting stuck in places they shouldn't. What they did with Halo 2 Anniversary worked a LOT better. And then of course there was the multiplayer, which ended up just being Reach DLC. That was disappointing.
  1. Halo: Combat Evolved campaign fully remastered for the 20th anniversary, more faithful than the last time around.
  2. Multiplayer fully remastered, not DLC for Halo Infinite. Xbox Live enabled.
  3. Cutscenes completely redone by Blur Studios(You can't tell me you never wanted to see the original Halo story redone by Blur.)
No I do, yes I don't.

I was super disappointed with CEA. I play H1 in Classic mode on MCC. CEA looks "newer", sure, but not good. Ugly and unfaithful to the original, it totally changed the look and feel. The mismatching geometry was a huge problem as well. Forerunner surfaces were ridiculously overdone, and dark, ominous levels because bright and colorful. The animations looked awful, and it had an inconsistent artstyle that just didn't feel right. New models on old animation was weird.

But rather than try again with a more quality, faithful, H2A-style version, I'd opt instead for a game idea I've had for a long time. An homage, not a remaster. A nostalgia-fueled spin-off telling a new story by telling the old one from a new perspective...

What I'd like to see is this.

I would argue they improved alot of the architecture and enemy design just like halo 2a did
In terms of polygon count, sure. But a lot of it was cumbersome and quite ugly in comparison to the original sleek designs. The worst was what they did to Installation 04—it looked more like a Light Cycle track than a Halo ring.

In terms of polygon count, sure. But a lot of it was cumbersome and quite ugly in comparison to the original sleek designs. The worst was what they did to Installation 04—it looked more like a Light Cycle track than a Halo ring.
Opening cutscene did the ring justice imo it looked more artificial this time
I would love to see another CE remaster, with blur cutscenes (IMO the best part of H2A), and a visual style more in keeping with the aura of CE. CE Anniversary was cool, but it sometimes went in a very different direction visually, and much of it had a very different atmosphere from the original CE because of that. CE was dark and spooky, and the Forerunner architecture looked simple and monolithic. Anniversary was overly bright and colorful, with Forerunner stuff being a flashy light show, closer to 343's (IMO over the top/too busy & sleek) Forerunner aesthetic.
I don't really care as long as they don't think remastering the game the third time will be enough for them to delay the next game or not make another one for 3 years.
no more anniversary,let 343 concentrate on the new games
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3